Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NSA,Kaapj and SA hunters
Hunted
Kudu,impala,springbuck,wildebeest
I'm in the market to buy a pair of binoculars. Any suggestions please

That is pretty board question. I love my Swaros, they are fantastic, but they are also 2k. I would say Leica and Swaro have the vast majority of the top end of the market.

Personally I like 8.5x for glassing, 10x is ok for me, but I start having fatigue issues sooner with anything above the 8x range.

That statement leaves a very wide range of options.

What is your price range?

What power, compact, or full size?

I liked the Leopold's that I used for years. They are mid range as far as cost.

I also like by Swarovski's on the higher end.

For myself I like 10x42's as far as power.

Price range?

That statement leaves a very wide range of options.

What is your price range?

What power, compact, or full size?

I liked the Leopold's that I used for years. They are mid range as far as cost.

I also like by Swarovski's on the higher end.

For myself I like 10x42's as far as power.
I'm thinking of a bino and rangefinder in one maybe for simplicity when walking and stalking....price range maybe 2000 to 2500usd!!!

EL Range and be done!

Personally I'm a fan of the Leica Geovid rangefinder binos. I currently own 2 sets of HD-B 3000 10x42's and before that had a pair of the 1st generation Leica rangefinder binos.

That said, I don't think you would go wrong with the Swaro EL Range either. I believe both companies are top notch and it's a matter of which has the features you desire, what feels the best in your hand and how the light/color transmission appear to your eye.

Personally I'm a fan of the Leica Geovid rangefinder binos. I currently own 2 sets of HD-B 3000 10x42's and before that had a pair of the 1st generation Leica rangefinder binos.

That said, I don't think you would go wrong with the Swaro EL Range either. I believe both companies are top notch and it's a matter of which has the features you desire, what feels the best in your hand and how the light/color transmission appear to your eye.
:S Agree:

I also own the Leica HD-B 3000 10x42 and I am sure I would equally happy with the Swaro EL.

I own Leica Trinovid HD 8 x 42 binoculars and couldn't be happier.
The esthetics, build quality and optical clarity are simply outstanding.

EL Range and be done!
This! My Fiance took one look through mine.... And they weren't mine any longer.... so bought a another pair for myself. And a pair of Swarovski 10x25 pocket binos. Amazing quality for the size and so easy to carry.

I have several binoculars (not pair), and most are older from my boating days, both professional (done) and pleasure which I still do. My wife bought me a really nice and expensive Nikon 7x50 bino when I was still working on tugs, and I still use them happily today.
Here is an important test before you plunk down big bucks for binos.
Bring them to your eyes, and focus them, hopefully they will have individual focusing for each eye. Once focused, pull them down. If you eyes have to refocus to any large degree, keep looking.
Binos that dont suit your eyes can bring on a headache pretty quickly.
If only being used for an occasional glance its not a big deal but if you do like I used to and have them in hand all the time while on watch, its a big deal. Even sitting on a stand glassing hillsides for game, eyes tire quickly.

OP, What is your budget and at what range wound it be used ? Need more info!

In order of what I would buy if I had the money- Swarovski, Leica then Zeiss. If you are like me and need good binos for a more reasonable price then my advice is Nikon. They are definitely the best bang for your bucks in my opinion. I think the Prostaff range and in particular 5 and 7 models are about the best performance to money ratio. Leopold are good too.

I settled on a vortex fury HD. Just unpacked it today. Will try it out soon.
20210703_170217.jpg

I was searching myself for a new Binocular, found one of the last new Swarovski SLC 8x 42 in Canada. In fact I ordered the Helia that is the SLC in new clothes , but when I found the swaro at a shop I have used many times I cancelled the Helia .

It seems.very nice!

One of the Big Three- Zeiss, Leica or Swaro in either 8x or 10x. You'll have to decide preference and the trade off of weight and bulk. The higher the price the more you'll have to talk em up to justify the cost :) For long periods of glassing, good glass is important and for ease of use larger exit pupil helps.
Going a notch down to save a few bucks rarely pays off.

I settled on a vortex fury HD. Just unpacked it today. Will try it out soon.View attachment 410473
Vortex is a very good choice and their warranty service is excellent from all the reports I have read.

Personally I have been using Swarovski optics for the last couple decades. I have nothing but good to say about them.

Regards,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg