Straight Pull Rifles?

Latest brx1 500 years limited edition looks pretty nice.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0986.jpeg
    IMG_0986.jpeg
    158.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0987.jpeg
    IMG_0987.jpeg
    169.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0988.jpeg
    IMG_0988.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0989.jpeg
    IMG_0989.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0991.jpeg
    IMG_0991.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0992.jpeg
    IMG_0992.jpeg
    69.8 KB · Views: 88
Honestly there are lots of good straight pull rifles. My first was a Heym SR30, it was well made and accurate but ultimately I ended up going the Blaser R8 route and am very happy.

I have a variety of stocks, barrels and scopes/red dots that I can mix and match to suit anything I might reasonably expect to do. It is also the only modular straight pull rifle that you can really expect to find components (barrels, stocks, etc) for in North America, particularly if you are like me and prefer to buy on the used market to save a few dollars.

I don’t think that Blasers or any of the other straight pulls are the best “value for your money” in any objectively measurable way. But I like mine enough that I’m willing to ignore the fact that they may be overpriced. At the end of the day if I had to choose I’d give up all of my double rifles, fancy Kipplaufs, and high end bolt guns and keep my R8s.
 
Thanks for all the input everyone, I appreciate it.

The straight pulls like the Beretta and Blaser interest me for various reasons, especially the multi-caliber capability.

I started looking at them more from an "ease of operation" standpoint vs quick operation.

Based on availability & cost it's likely going to be the Beretta that I purchase. It's good to know about the quirks others have experienced with them so I am prepared in advance.

I'll update the post once I buy one. Thanks again everyone.
 
To be fair, he doesn’t really have a choice. The only rifle ammunition which gets imported into India, is the Sellier & Bellot 180Gr round nosed soft point for the .30-06 Springfield. He (on average) needs around 3 body shots on a big bull, if he can’t get them with a clean neck shot.

But this is in no way the problem of the caliber. The ammunition is ill suited for such huge animals (we’re talking Asia’s heaviest antelope here), because the cup & core bullets frequently tend to break apart when striking heavy bones of male Nilgai (such as the scapula/humerus/ball-and-socket joint/shoulder bone).

I myself have successfully taken multiple Nilgai with my 7x57mm Mauser, to put matters into perspective (albeit obviously nowhere as many as Shafath does professionally).

.243 Winchester is a favorite cartridge of mine especially loaded with the venerable 100Gr Winchester Super X Power Point). Very ideal for up to Axis deer sized game and the smaller African antelopes (bushbuck, impala, reedbuck, springbok). I obviously don’t advocate it’s employment for boar shooting, although the wife of one of my white hunters has used it to down more than a few large bush pigs.
Sad he can’t get RWS EVO or Geco Plus ammo in there , they are strong and bonded .
 
I've decided on 30-06 chambering for the rifle I'll take on my PG hunt. The straight pull Rifles, particularly the Beretta BRX1 have been been intriguing me lately.

For those of you who hunt with one, how do you like it compared to a standard bolt action?

Are there other makes, models I should look at?(also considering a Browning Maral 4X. A Blaser is likely going to be cost prohibitive for me)
I have the Savage Impulse 30-06. Little on the heavier side. Shoots great and seems reliable.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,315
Messages
1,572,642
Members
169,597
Latest member
Stevenpoeni
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top