Stock Fit

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Joined
Apr 15, 2009
Messages
12,676
Reaction score
18,058
Media
78
Articles
3
Hunting reports
Africa
11
USA/Canada
3
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Gents,

Frequently when a discussion of the bigger boomers comes up, the subject of recoil will usually come up. Frequently as part of the discussion of recoil someone will mention making sure that the stock fits the shooter properly. Honestly I've never really given much thought to my stocks. I've been more concerned with the scope I put on it be such that I can mount it far enough back to work with the eye relief so that I'm not having to "pull" myself of the butt of the rifle in order to get a good sight pic in the scope.

So my question for my fellow AH members is what do you think good stock fit is? I ask this more my own education.
 
Length of pull is the easiest to check and adjust. A good rule of thumb measurement is to hold the rifle with your right hand (right handed shooter) at the pistol grip with your finger on the trigger like you would be shooting. The recoil pad of the rifle should fit snugly in the crook of your right arm.

I am 6'-3" and my LOP is 15.5". Factory rifles are usually around 13 5/8". On a heavy hitter it makes a huge difference.
 
So do you typically lengthen the LOP with a larger recoil pad? Or is too short acceptable? Obviously too long is a problem.
 
I use spacers and thicker recoil pads. Most of mine run around 15" or a touch less.
 
Phoenix Phil

Great question...Mike has some valid points...longer is better that shorter.

I have many custom stocks...and again Mike covered the using of 1/8" spacers to lengthen or shorten your rifle stock. There are many stock makers around however only a few really good ones...one of the very best and one i can say does a great job and with little doubt you will be happy with is Wenig Custom Gun-stocks out of Missouri.

We all hunt in different conditions...with a heavy coat you will want to remover 1 or 2 spacers...shooting in short sleeve shirts you will want to add spacers.

Mike also has it covered in the recoil pads...they come in different thickness and i have some made in 3 different thicknesses to use and with the right stock attachment easy to change.

Gents,

Frequently when a discussion of the bigger boomers comes up, the subject of recoil will usually come up. Frequently as part of the discussion of recoil someone will mention making sure that the stock fits the shooter properly. Honestly I've never really given much thought to my stocks. I've been more concerned with the scope I put on it be such that I can mount it far enough back to work with the eye relief so that I'm not having to "pull" myself of the butt of the rifle in order to get a good sight pic in the scope.

So my question for my fellow AH members is what do you think good stock fit is? I ask this more my own education.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,275
Messages
1,571,368
Members
169,344
Latest member
linebet
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top