Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State, Mpumalanga)
I wanted to hunt an Ibex for a long time, but the high prices discouraged me. As I will not be able to hunt in Africa this year, due to health issues in the family, I decided to compensate by hunting an Ibex, which will not keep me away from home for more than a couple of days.

I called a good friend who is a hunting agent, and he did not disappoint me, offering me a great deal. So, as soon as the COVID travel restrictions lifted, I was on my way to the Beceite area, which is in northeast Spain, about 350Km from Madrid, where I live.

img_2293-jpg.405663

img_2294-jpg.405664

This is hill country, varying from 1000 to 1200 meters high. You hunt by spot and stalk, driving along the trails, spotting the groups of Ibex high on the slopes. They will be at distances from 500 to 300 meters, and you see anything interesting, you start climbing very carefully so as not to spook them, which is very often the case, then start again on another group.

img_2297-jpg.405665

img_2307-jpg.405666

The ground is not easy, loose soil, and stones, that make movement quite tiring, so you must be in decent physical shape.

img_2308-jpg.405667

img_2295-jpg.405668

My hunt took place in two stages, first on May 12/13, when I could not get close enough to any interesting animal. I tried again on June 2nd.

It was quite warm, we hunted in shirtsleeves, started around 7 PM, which was early, as the animals didn´t start moving until 8:30 PM, we saw Wild Boars, Roe Deer, Foxes, and Ibex.

Our guide spotted a group which was coming down the slope to eat at a small pasture which was about 300 meters from us. He was using a Leica spotting scope, and said there was a good male in it. We waited until all of them were in the pasture, where we could only see horns now and then.

There was no shooting angle, but I was not going to take a shot at that distance anyway, I like to get closer, and with these animals which tend to bunch together you have to be real sure you have a clear shot.

The wind was good, so we started climbing, taking advantage of the terrain layout that hid us, first to the left of them until we were on the same height, then closed up very slowly until we were about 140 meters from the group.

I sat down behind a small boulder, a rucksack was placed on top, and I steadied my rifle, the male was in my scope, looking at us, he must have heard something and was suspicious, I could not take the shot, as two younger Ibex were behind him, we all stayed there, without moving or making any sound, until finally I had a clear shot, I sent a 200Gr. SP from my SAKO .338WM, and he was down.

IMG-20210602-WA0037.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2293.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 709
  • IMG_2294.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 693
  • IMG_2297.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 707
  • IMG_2307.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 673
  • IMG_2308.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 659
  • IMG_2295.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 652
Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to hunt an Ibex for a long time, but the high prices discouraged me. As I will not be able to hunt in Africa this year, due to health issues in the family, I decided to compensate by hunting an Ibex, which will not keep me away from home for more than a couple of days.

I called a good friend who is a hunting agent, and he did not disappoint me, offering me a great deal. So, as soon as the COVID travel restrictions lifted, I was on my way to the Beceite area, which is in northeast Spain, about 350Km from Madrid, where I live.

View attachment 405663

View attachment 405664

This is hill country, varying from 1000 to 1200 meters high. You hunt by spot and stalk, driving along the trails, spotting the groups of Ibex high on the slopes. They will be at distances from 500 to 300 meters, and you see anything interesting, you start climbing very carefully so as not to spook them, which is very often the case, then start again on another group.

View attachment 405665

View attachment 405666

The ground is not easy, loose soil, and stones, that make movement quite tiring, so you must be in decent physical shape.

View attachment 405667

View attachment 405668

My hunt took place in two stages, first on May 12/13, when I could not get close enough to any interesting animal. I tried again on June 2nd.

It was quite warm, we hunted in shirtsleeves, started around 7 PM, which was early, as the animals didn´t start moving until 8:30 PM, we saw Wild Boars, Roe Deer, Foxes, and Ibex.

Our guide spotted a group which was coming down the slope to eat at a small pasture which was about 300 meters from us. He was using a Leica spotting scope, and said there was a good male in it. We waited until all of them were in the pasture, where we could only see horns now and then.

There was no shooting angle, but I was not going to take a shot at that distance anyway, I like to get closer, and with these animals which tend to bunch together you have to be real sure you have a clear shot.

The wind was good, so we started climbing, taking advantage of the terrain layout that hid us, first to the left of them until we were on the same height, then closed up very slowly until we were about 140 meters from the group.

I sat down behind a small boulder, a rucksack was placed on top, and I steadied my rifle, the male was in my scope, looking at us, he must have heard something and was suspicious, I could not take the shot, as two younger Ibex were behind him, we all stayed there, without moving or making any sound, until finally I had a clear shot, I sent a 200Gr. SP from my SAKO .338WM, and he was down.

View attachment 405669
Great looking Ibex!

The Wife and I are going to hunt Spain for the first time in December and Ibex is on the list for me and a Mouflon for her. Looking forward to Spain!

Great looking Ibex!

The Wife and I are going to hunt Spain for the first time in December and Ibex is on the list for me and a Mouflon for her. Looking forward to Spain!

Wish both of you the best of luck !

this is a hunt i had booked in april 2020, then covid came and all was cancellled. i will reboook and do this hunt soon
congrats, i am very jealous

Bucket list for sure.

Beautiful! Congratulations!

Very nice! Thank you for sharing!

Great looking ibex Nyati. Congratulations.

Thanks for sharing the hunt with us.

Congrats sir, great looking ibex! Thanks for sharing!

What a beautiful animal. Congratulations. Hunting Spanish Ibex is a great adventure in one of the most beautiful corners of Europe. It is our favorite European destination, and we are signed up for our third hunt and following vacation there next April (Ibex and Roe deer).

Tremendous trophy. Congrats. I hope to chase Becite ibex one day…

Outstanding! With your 338 WM, you were well equipped. Like many, the Ibex is on my bucket list.

Congrats @Nyati - that is a beautiful animal!

Congratulations-beautiful animal!

Very Nice Ibex, wmh!

Nyati, that's a beautiful animal for sure. Will it become a "Euro" mount as well? My son and his family are going to Spain in August. Unfortunately they are going to Bilbao and won't have time to visit you or go hunting.

Nyati, that's a beautiful animal for sure. Will it become a "Euro" mount as well? My son and his family are going to Spain in August. Unfortunately they are going to Bilbao and won't have time to visit you or go hunting.

Thank you Art.

It´s a pity I won´t meet the family, I´m sure your grandson has grown up since I last saw him !

Nyati, yes he has. He has also developed his shooting skills using the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser we call the "Grandkid's gun." Now it is mostly "X(s) & 10(s) at a hundred yards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeannaDost

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg