South Africans your thoughts please

What about Botswana?

South Africa has some gems and if you look hard enough you will find them.
Firearms ownership sucks especially if you are not a citizen.
Going off grid with solar and own water would be ideal.

I would say buy an established business with running concerns you can always move the business to the way you would like to run it. Developing a farm or property with nothing is going to cost much more. Maybe start with a guesthouse in a good area and get a feel of what is happening.

Certain areas will allow for good business on smaller farms and other you will need wide tracks of land.
Roads are crap and getting worse.

I still feel like its paradise especially as a hunter.

Last edited by a moderator:
We not only have a very corrupt government, they also enjoy implementing punitive measures at their leisure. Be sure to take appropriate tax advice before pulling the trigger. For people who are not ordinarily resident in SA the physical presence test is applied to determine whether you are liable for taxes in SA. You will be liable for taxes on any assets purchased in SA and if you are deemed to be tax resident here you will be liable for SA taxes on world wide income and assets. We have something called capital gains tax which not necessarily applies in the rest of the world. You’re basically taxed on the growth in value of any assets on disposal of said assets. Estate duties are also a bitch, although I believe they are slightly less than the US on sizeable estates.

Besides this and what’s mentioned by others it’s a pretty cool place to live.

Now just to brush up on your Afrikaans.

Best,

As others have said biggest issues will be locals having claims against the land, poaching and tribal hunting with dogs, and existing people living on the land. Somewhere with a town nearby and manageable gravel road will be a bonus. I have family with a big game farm in Limpopo and would be happy to show you around if it’s an area you are considering. Would be worth talking to a game farm owner to get the nitty gritty on what it takes.

I would take a hard look at Botswana, Zambia and Namibia. Personal property law, tax structure, and the enforcement of them, should weigh heavily in your decision.

So, I'll be selling my company in the next year or two. Planning on buying a hunting property in South Africa to retire to. We will pay cash so it doesn't have to make money although we won't complain if it pays for its operational costs. We will have a PH friend of mine manage the place and conduct the hunts.

We will spend 30 days in South Africa early next year "as though we were living there" (okay we will hunt a little as well) meeting with financial folks, lawyers, private hospitals, logistic folks, going shopping, etc etc etc.

I'm asking those of you that live in South Africa to share with me anything (especially any gotchas) that I should look into that might not be obvious. We will not be living in a city. We will not need to depend on public utilities or services. We will not need to earn any money from the local economy.

Appreciate your time and thoughts. Thanks in advance.
You will not be sorry about your move, in Rome, do like the Romans, once you have that mentality, you will have a blast. All advise I can give is do fixed term contracts with staff, nothing permanent.
Other than that, you will be living in the best part of the world, wishing you all the best, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreemanHar

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you