SOUTH AFRICA: ZIMBABWE: Mark & Tim's Big Bull Safari With KMG Hunting Safaris

Thanks to Tim for putting most of the report together. Thanks mate Sorry to be a bit quick on the trigger putting up your buff pics:( I was in a rush this morning and didn’t read the end bit that said “TBC”:cautious::p

That's OK mate, you have more to report yet, I can get you back ;) :p

Mark and Tim,

Thanks for the great write up.

It was exciting to be getting your updates via CH while we were in NZ.

Well done to you both, and Marius and his crew.

Mark

Mark and Tim,

Thanks for the great write up.

It was exciting to be getting your updates via CH while we were in NZ.

Well done to you both, and Marius and his crew.

Mark

Thanks Mark, you guys did exceptionally well over there with Mike and co. ;)

PART 3

With the 'big bulls' part of the safari in the salt, Marius was again on the laptop booking flights with the able assistance of his better half Kim back at home. The following day saw Mark and I fly back to Joburg before connecting to East London. Marius headed back home to PE where he could enjoy a very hard earned couple of days off, before he flew north again for his next hunt in Mozambique. From the big bulls to the tiny-ten, KMG can do it all! ;)

We were collected at EL airport that afternoon by the beaming face of Andrew, owner at the lodge and a good friend. We had a good chat catching up on the way back to the lodge, and in no time at all it felt like home with us settled into our rooms, before a great dinner of Bushbuck fillet and a couple of rums around the bar. It was also great that day to meet our Kiwi brothers Tim (Tum) ;) and his father Michael, thoroughly good blokes who had just started their hunt with PH Nick. It was exciting to share in their first African hunt and we anxiously followed their progress across the next week.

The next day Andrew took us for a tour around, as we had a day off. We enjoyed taking it easy after a hectic schedule, had plenty of good laughs, did some glassing and even managed to cull a few warthog to be made into cheese-grillers at the local butchery.

DSCN4724.JPG

The following morning, we were reunited with another old friend, PH Martin Neuper who both Mark and I had had the pleasure of hunting with in years past. We had the next 5 days to hunt plains game together, and for this section of the hunt we'd be borrowing Marty's T3 .300WSM. Basically, both Mark and I were after specific species that we'd missed out on on previous Eastern Cape trips. A Cape Kudu and Duiker topped my list, while for Mark, it was Bushpig that came in at numero uno.

That first day we spent at home base, but the weather was less than ideal with heavy winds and showers. Regardless, we glassed a lot and saw some game, but not the Kudu bull we were looking for. I even fit in an afternoon nap to catch up a little, while the weather was garbage! We did see one nice heavy Impala ram that afternoon, and afterwards I decided that I could happily hunt another of those if the chance arose :p

DSCN4722.JPG

Congrats on two fine bulls and keep it coming !!!

Day 2 on PG dawned much better than the day prior. But we had another job to do this morning, as Martin and I headed in to East London to pick up my wife Nikki, who'd just flown in from Australia to join me for the rest of the trip. It was an added bonus for me, as today, August 21st, was my 44th birthday.

With NIkki's gear back at the lodge, we all headed out to a nearby cattle property to continue our search for Kudu. We glassed many cows this morning, and they were all headed around into a large draw. So we decided that we would hunt our way right around the property with the aim of hunting into the other end of that draw in the late evening. We did a bit more glassing that day, but apart from me losing my mobile phone (which was luckily found by tracker Thandi after retracing our steps) there wasn't much doing. We did however, see a few Mountain Reedbuck, a species that Mark doesn't have yet, which got an idea brewing...

Mid afternoon, we were driving around the top of the ridge to start our afternoon hunt. The entire party was busy looking at some Zebras up a fenceline, when I noticed a lone warthog standing in the next paddock. Binos were raised, and Martin exclaimed, "Someone needs to shoot that pig!" This commenced Mark and I debating why the other should be the one to shoot it. :p Eventually Mark jumped out and took up the stalk with Marty. Shortly later Mark had an absolute grand-daddy of a Warthog boar on the deck - a fantastic trophy. I did kick myself just a little, but was of course stoked for my mate! ;)

FB_IMG_1661204295764.jpg

After we took plenty of photos of the big tusker, we headed on down the gully on foot to glass for Kudu, but unfortunately we drew a blank. With light failing, we headed back to the vehicle and started heading back out. It had been a great birthday, a Kudu would have capped it off of course, but I commented that "Who knows, maybe a big old Duiker will step out as we are driving out".

Sure enough, not ten minutes later, we drive behind a large dam bank and as we cleared the other side, Marty hit the brakes and rolled backwards. There, up ahead was a Duiker feeding alone, and Marty confirmed it was a ram! Grabbing the .300, Marty and I stalked in using the dam bank as cover. Crawling up and peering over top, I lowered the bipod and took up a comfy prone position. The ram looked like a definite shooter but was feeding face-on. I wanted him to turn broadside, but light was failing fast, so a quartering-on shot was the option I took at 5.55pm. Success, the ram dropped in his tracks! As we approached I was absolutely over the moon, what a great heavy old Duiker ram, with huge secondary growth and well-worn down horns. He had character galore, a perfect birthday present to go with Mark's awesome pig!

20220821181245_IMG_6052.JPG

That night back at the lodge, my sneaky wife and Marius had arranged a birthday cake to follow our dinner. It was a perfect ending to a fantastic day!

20220821_201401.jpg

Great write up, photo's and results! The stuff of dreams. Cant wait to see the efforts of TB Taxidermy on these wonderful animals (y)

Thank you! I'll add them to my personal pile and maybe get to them in 4 or 5 years lol :p

Congrats on two fine bulls and keep it coming !!!

Thank you mate!

Very nice pig! Also, who doesn't love cake at the end of a great day! Nice birthday surprise!

Nice job mate. Pity I couldn’t sing happy birthday but the pig bait was calling. I did sneak a piece at 11:30pm

Day 3 on PG.... We left the lodge early, headed for one of Martys favourite free-range Kudu properties where he'd had good success in the past. We also had the Kiwis along with Nick, hunting the other side of the huge property. There was plenty of huge deep gullies to hide a Kudu bull or three!

Driving into the property, the vegetation had just started to thicken up, when up ahead, 2 Kudu bulls leapt across the track in front of us! Marty and I leapt out just as quickly with rifle and sticks in hot pursuit. But it was short lived, as both bulls had not finished growing yet. We were after something old that had done his breeding...

Hunting along the ridge top and doing a lot of glassing, we then started dropping down into several promising draws and working our way around the faces. The going was steep and walking difficult through the knee-deep dry grass studded with rocks and boulders.

We located plenty of cows, but the bulls were nowhere to be found! Post-rut Kudu hunting can certainly be a challenge! Nevertheless it was big country, with thick vegetation, the Kudu were certainly there, and all we needed was patience and a little luck.

20220823_091236.jpg

20220823_135427.jpg

We met up with the Kiwis for lunch atop the biggest hill on the property, and one of the only clearings. The Neuper brothers figured we'd feel at home under the Black Wattles ;)

20220823_123428.jpg

That afternoon we made a long walk around a ridge top and glassed several promising remote valleys. Again more cows were all that we could locate. At one stage I got excited about a shape moving through the opposite face, only for a big waterbuck bull to walk out within range :p

Across the valley opposite us, a nice Mountain Reedbuck ram stood from his bed and commenced feeding along with two ewes. By this stage Mark had decided he well and truly couldn't live without one, so a long stalk commenced.

An hour later, the lads had pushed forward to the best position available, which was still close to 300m and resting over a termite mound. Mark's shot unfortunately narrowly missed, and the ram was not to be seen again :(

20220822_105855.jpg

Martin and I took one last walk down, then up, another face in the hope a Kudu bull might have gotten hungry, but it was not to be, and there ended another day on Kudu.

‐------------------------------------

As Mark mentioned, the night before he'd skipped birthday cake to go and investigate a Bushpig bait that'd been getting hit recently. Unfortunately on that occasion, the wind got the better of them and no pigs were sighted.

Tonight, the property we'd been hunting was close enough to another property, which happened to be where I shot my big boar on a stalk-in bait in 2019. A year before that, Marius himself had bow-shot an absolute bus off the same bait. And now, the trail camera was indicating another big boar in the area. We may as well go and check it out!

I'll let @Mark R take up the story again about here.... ;)

So as Tim mentioned, on the day of his birthday Mart and I headed over to a bait that had seen a bushpig coming into it pretty regularly. We'd had a big day looking for a big old kudu bull for Tim and as soon as we got back to the lodge is was off again to the bait.
We arrived not long after dark and we were shown to the bait by Lloyd. As we got comfy for the sit we noticed the wind was blowing in the worst possible direction but the forecast was for it to be changing to the opposite direction around dark. Well we stayed for a couple of hours and the wind didn't change direction. Bushpigs=1, hunters=0
After another day looking for kudu bulls we decided to head for Paul's family farm where as Tim mentioned both he and Marius had taken fantastic boars in previous years. As always the hospitality of Paul's mum was outstanding and while we waited for darkness to fall it was decided we should have dinner cooked on the open fire inside the house. During the preparations and cooking of the braai, Paul and Mart went outside to see if the soft sensor light above the bait had come on alerting us to the possibility the pigs were feeding. It was still quite early but yes indeed the light was on.......

It was decided to let them feed while we also did the same. As soon as we were done eating we all jumped into Mart's bakkie and headed for the bait. A quiet approach in the ute, followed by 3 of us creeping in, in the dark, to the bait all the while watching and listening for activity on or around the bait. We got to within 120m of the bait and noticed there was nothing there. Maybe jackals had come in for a feed early........ So we set up in a comfortable spot with the wind blowing in a much more favourable position.

We waited for about 45 minutes when Mart and Paul (who both had thermal scopes) alerted me to the fact that a couple of pigs were coming to the bait. It took them quite a while to get settled as they had circled the dam and the bait before feeling secure enough to approach. All of a sudden I saw the sensor light activate and there in the scope I could see 2 healthy bushpigs starting to feed on and around the bait. I got in behind the rifle and peered through the scope at the big pig on the left. This was the boar we were targeting as pointed out to me by both ph's. He was feeding directly behind a carcass which didn't allow a shot from my prone position. After a few minutes the sensor light went out due to a lack of movement from the contented feeding pigs. My brain went into a frenzy not knowing if my long awaited chance at a bushpig had just been dashed. After what seemed an hour, but was in fact only about 5 minutes, the light re-activated and the pigs were still in the same positions. This was to happen another 3 or 4 times with the last time the light went out it had stayed out for about 15 minutes. Finally it came on again and again I locked onto the boar when suddenly he moved a little left and the presented a nice, almost broadside, shot. I squeezed the trigger on Mart's 300WSM and the pig went straight down. The relief was great after sitting in stands or watching fast departing bushpigs on 3 previous trips for nil results.

We rushed up to make sure he wasn't going anywhere and there was handshakes all around as we marvelled at the size of this brute before us and the colours of his hide. Trailcam pics showed this boar had been feeding on this bait since January so it was no surprise of his sheer size. Paul's bait had produced the goods once again.

As we looked the pig over, Tim and Thandi, who had been waiting, or sleeping, patiently back at the bakkie, arrived to take in the moment with us. After lots of pics we loaded the boar into the vehicle and headed back to the skinning shed where it was to be fully caped for a fullmount to show off it's colour and size.

It had been a long time coming but finally I had my pig..........
IMG_7721.JPG
IMG_7733.JPG
IMG_7742.JPG
IMG_7746.JPG

Last edited:
No words can describe this bushpig. You are the pig man getting a huge warthog and bushpig on the same trip.
Congratulations to you and your team.
PA. That local friend you met at Sydney airport before you departed must have brought you good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelinaVa

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you