SOUTH AFRICA: Tootabi Valley Safaris, LBG Safaris & Hunting With Friends

Nice pics, looks like Beans has a great place

Nice pics, looks like Beans has a great place

He does and so much family history. More than just the lodge. I've worked at my job for 24 years now. Thats a long time, right? Wrong.... Beans has employees that are third generation on the farm.

He does and so much family history. More than just the lodge. I've worked at my job for 24 years now. Thats a long time, right? Wrong.... Beans has employees that are third generation on the farm.
This one one (but only one) very good reason to become more than slightly annoyed when someone takes what is effectively your name and "brand" and begins to use it for their own purposes.

This one one (but only one) very good reason to become more than slightly annoyed when someone takes what is effectively your name and "brand" and begins to use it for their own purposes.

(y)

A good read to start my day.

We got up early to head to the mountains, and hunted on the other side of Sumerset, just over an hour's drive as I recall. Beans has exclusive rights to the place and it hadn't been hunted in years, if ever, before this year. If you want Vallie, Klippie, or Mountain Reedbuck this is a great place to go. We saw plenty of all three.

We saw Vallies fairly quickly. First a small group and then a bigger group. We couldn't get close enough for a shot though and there were just too many eyes between Vallie, Reedbuck, and Francolins. The Vallies knew something was up though and they headed over the mountain. We went back to the bakkie to eat, but Beans had a plan.

After lunch we went back to where they'd gone over the mountain and found a good place to sit. Beans thought they would likely come back. So we sat down and waited. Those mountains are different than what I'm used to, but quite beautiful and open. Just sitting was quite nice.

DSC01544.JPG

Within maybe an hour there they were. Skylined on the top they appeared just to the left of where my rifle is pointed in the picture above and they started to work back down, 12 of them including a monster ram. Watching them work back down was both fun and nerve wracking waiting for a shot. At 240 yards the ram turned broadside and stopped. Time to squeeze the trigger for an easy shot, which I of course missed.... Last trip I made three one shot kills from sticks while standing. This trip I can't hit broadside of a barn!!! I take two more shots including a now or never close to the top of the ridge. I was throughly disgusted with myself....

After they disappeared Beans said we'd wait and see what happened as Robert and the farmhand had gone way around. He thought they might come back agaim, but I had my doubts. Well, they did and worked down again. This time it was 235 yards, but a hard quartering almost frontal shot. One more squeeze.... This time I hit. He ran down the mountain a few yards, ut was dead on his feet. He did the normal wobble and then a flip down the mountain. I was very, very relieved!

DSC01546.JPG

I'm not a tape measure guy, but this one I had to know. Longest horn was a shade under 9.5 and the bases are thick too. He was indeed a special trophy!

We took a mountain walk looking for Reedbuck afterwards, but didn't look too long as Beans wanted me to meet a few friends of his in Somerset. Meeting people was part of the plan from the beginning and part of what I wanted to do while there, and it really turned out to be a treat.

Fantastic Vallie! That is the #1 animal on my list in 2017.

I'm not a tape measure guy, but this one I had to know. Longest horn was a shade under 9.5 and the bases are thick too. He was indeed a special trophy!.

Sweet!

Attachments

• IMG_1382award9.5.jpg
    IMG_1382award9.5.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 131
Very nice Vallie! great looking trophy. Glad were able to get him. Bruce

Who needs a Blue Duiker when you can shoot that! Way to go Royal that's a super Vallie for sure.

We got up early to head to the mountains, and hunted on the other side of Sumerset, just over an hour's drive as I recall. Beans has exclusive rights to the place and it hadn't been hunted in years, if ever, before this year. If you want Vallie, Klippie, or Mountain Reedbuck this is a great place to go. We saw plenty of all three.

We saw Vallies fairly quickly. First a small group and then a bigger group. We couldn't get close enough for a shot though and there were just too many eyes between Vallie, Reedbuck, and Francolins. The Vallies knew something was up though and they headed over the mountain. We went back to the bakkie to eat, but Beans had a plan.

After lunch we went back to where they'd gone over the mountain and found a good place to sit. Beans thought they would likely come back. So we sat down and waited. Those mountains are different than what I'm used to, but quite beautiful and open. Just sitting was quite nice.

View attachment 156386

Within maybe an hour there they were. Skylined on the top they appeared just to the left of where my rifle is pointed in the picture above and they started to work back down, 12 of them including a monster ram. Watching them work back down was both fun and nerve wracking waiting for a shot. At 240 yards the ram turned broadside and stopped. Time to squeeze the trigger for an easy shot, which I of course missed.... Last trip I made three one shot kills from sticks while standing. This trip I can't hit broadside of a barn!!! I take two more shots including a now or never close to the top of the ridge. I was throughly disgusted with myself....

After they disappeared Beans said we'd wait and see what happened as Robert and the farmhand had gone way around. He thought they might come back agaim, but I had my doubts. Well, they did and worked down again. This time it was 235 yards, but a hard quartering almost frontal shot. One more squeeze.... This time I hit. He ran down the mountain a few yards, ut was dead on his feet. He did the normal wobble and then a flip down the mountain. I was very, very relieved!

View attachment 156387

I'm not a tape measure guy, but this one I had to know. Longest horn was a shade under 9.5 and the bases are thick too. He was indeed a special trophy!

We took a mountain walk looking for Reedbuck afterwards, but didn't look too long as Beans wanted me to meet a few friends of his in Somerset. Meeting people was part of the plan from the beginning and part of what I wanted to do while there, and it really turned out to be a treat.

Outstanding - just outstanding! Vaal Rehboks are special animals, and this one is snorter (as my PH would say)!

Your story is interesting as well. A good PH doesn't just drive around looking for animals to shoot. He knows what to do, and when to be patient. Beans did a great job for you here - would have been a tragedy to have not gotten this guy (I was going to say miss this guy, but probably too soon for those puns!).

As we've discussed, this shooting thing seems to afflict us all from time to time - I note that CAustin is having some similar issues, and reading my stories you know I've had the same. I don't have the solution, but I know getting mad and breaking your golf club (er . . ) isn't the answer. Sitting there and doing it right, as you did, is.

Well done.

Nice Vaal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Truly spectacular animal Royal!

Outstanding - just outstanding! Vaal Rehboks are special animals, and this one is snorter (as my PH would say)!

Your story is interesting as well. A good PH doesn't just drive around looking for animals to shoot. He knows what to do, and when to be patient. Beans did a great job for you here - would have been a tragedy to have not gotten this guy (I was going to say miss this guy, but probably too soon for those puns!).

As we've discussed, this shooting thing seems to afflict us all from time to time - I note that CAustin is having some similar issues, and reading my stories you know I've had the same. I don't have the solution, but I know getting mad and breaking your golf club (er . . ) isn't the answer. Sitting there and doing it right, as you did, is.

Well done.

Thanks Hank!

Totally agree with what you said and especially about a good PH knowing what to do and having the patience of Joab.

The shooting certainly annoyed me and frustrated me, but I have a good attitude about it. Time to lighten up the trigger on the new rifle and get some more practice in with itsimple as that. Then hopefully next time will be better!

Nothing like giving a tough quarry a chance!
Well hunted!
Nothing like a PH knowing his critters and his concessions.
Anything over 9 is an incredible trophy. Congrats.

The shooting certainly annoyed me and frustrated me, but I have a good attitude about it. Time to lighten up the trigger on the new rifle and get some more practice in with itsimple as that. Then hopefully next time will be better!

I figured out the problem....the bolt is on the wrong side of your rifle!!! Just kidding. My father, main hunting partner and step-son are all lefties. I'm the odd man out! Beautiful rifle by the way...love Browning.

During my one trip to Africa I made some stupid misses too. Hartebeest and Impala gave me fits! Drives you crazy, but you just focus on the next opportunity.

Great report. Tootabi Valley now joins my list to choose from on my next trip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GordonBees

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.