SOUTH AFRICA: Last Minute Cape Buffalo Hunt With Africa Maximum Safaris

More pics of the bull
It's pretty bad when there are pics of me and a old Cape Buffalo bull and the Cape Buffalo is the good looking one in the pics....

Beautiful buffalo, congrats on fulfilling that dream and doing it with your new rifle. Well done!

Congratulations. Very nice bull. Nice photos, will be pursuing buffalo with Marius next May.

So, coming into this year I had a hunt in Scotland for Red Stag booked in mid September and a Drop Camp in the Uncompaghre Wilderness south of Gunnison CO booked for Elk in October.

This trip to South Africa was not on the radar and not in the budget...but getting creative (sold some stuff I didn't need on Facebook Marketplace, sold a rifle and sold some stock that had appreciated) I was able to make it happen.

But given I had made 3 prior plains game hunts to Namibia and RSA and have another with a group of friends and family next summer (2024) for my 3rd Hunt with Marius @KMG Hunting Safaris and having limited budget this year given what I already had on the books, I really didn't want to load up on PG this trip. But of course I wanted something to do after I got a Cape Buffalo in the salt. Had it taken all 6 days to get the Cape Buffalo, so be it, but I didn't expect it would. So I decided to use this trip to try and fill some of my "bad luck animals" that were less expensive but would fill some holes in my collection.

On prior trips I had never taken a Warthog. Either we saw a good one when we were on a stalk on a priority animal and didn't want to blow the opportunity on the priority animal and was always like "we will get a warthog later". But then when I had finished my priority animals the warthogs were nowhere to be found. And on my last trip Marius had put me in position to kill a very good warthog and I blew the opportunity (long story but totally my fault). So I figured we would look for a good warthog after hunting a Buffalo.

Same with Duiker....seen them when stalking something, but didn't want to blow the opportunity on a great Nyala (or something like that) to take a Duiker...so never got one. Figured we would actually try for one this trip.

Finally I had taken a real nice Mountain Reedbuck with Marius but had not hunted Common Reedbuck so I told Arrie we would spend the last 4 days looking for a shooter warthog, a Duiker and a Common Reedbuck.

On this trip I was limited to hunting this one large farm (which was the agreement on the Buffalo hunt) so we were at the mercy of what was available for those species on this farm. Arrie said there were lots of Duiker but we just needed to find one which is a challenge in the tall grass. He said there were lots of warthogs but good males were hit or miss and that they had some Common Reedbuck and figured we could get on one. So that was the plan after we had taken the Cape Buffalo. I would use this trip to try fill some holes that had never been the priority on my prior trips.

Coming up I will tell the story of the last 4 days :)

Last edited:
Well done, and thanks for sharing !

Congratulations. Very nice bull. Nice photos, will be pursuing buffalo with Marius next May.
You will have a great time. Marius is a tremendous hunter and great Outfitter.

The Buff in my profile pic is the one I took in 2022 with Marius. He was a VERY OLD bull with teeth worn down to the gums. He probably had less than a year to live.

I will be back with @KMG Hunting Safaris in late July next year with my son and two friends...all of which will be on their first African Safari. Can't think of a better outfit to take them with for their first hunt in Africa

Congrats on a great Safari

Congrats on a fine buffalo. Great way to break in your new rifle.
Bruce

Day 3 - Morning

So on Day 3 the plan was to look for a shooter Warthog and keep an eye out for a Duiker and Common Reedbuck while doing so.

Arrie had told the Camp Manager Walla about our plan and he talked to the workers who said they had been seeing a big warthog coming off a neighboring property onto theirs to feed in the evening. So we planned to sit and watch that area in the evening. In the morning would check several waterholes and generally cruise the farm roads looking for a warthog (and watching for Duiker and C. Reedbuck)

The day was once again 40 degrees at daybreak and we went back to the spot on top of a hill overlooking the valley were we could watch two waterholes, with my toting my Brown Precision 30-06 shooting Federal's Terminal Ascent 175 grain bullets.

It was once again very windy...it literally made our eyes water. Being from Michigan I am used to hunting in cold...even minus zero degree Fahrenheit type cold so I was OK but still it was pretty brutal. The trackers were bundled up like I would be in zero degree weather back home. Obviously they are not used to that level cold. But they gutted it out. We sat for 90 minutes just watching the two waterholes and saw many animals come and go including a sow warthog with two young ones. But no males. So after 90 minutes there we decided to cruise to another area.

Before we left, Walla, the Camp Manager, had informed Arrie that they had agreed to donate a Cow Blue Wildebeest to the local old folks home in the nearby town and offered to let me do the honors of taking her. I happily agreed to take part in the charity hunt. I joked with them that I would talk to my accountant and see if I could not write this whole trip off as "Charity Trip" and they laughed. So our plan was that after looking for Warthog/Duiker/Reedbuck for the morning we would look for a cow Blue WB on the way in for lunch. One where we didn't have to work to hard to stalk her and recover her. So that was on the agenda for the day also.

We moved to another location on the ranch and as we were moving one of the trackers spotted a group of warthog bedded down about 70 yards off the road by a pile of rocks. I had been carrying my rifle with 3 in the magazine but nothing in the chamber in case we had a quick opportunity, but as soon as Arrie stopped the truck the pigs stood up and took off across the landscape. One of them was definitely a shooter male, but they were off an running before I could get out of the vehicle, much less get out, rack a round into the chamber and aim. Arrie said "I bet they are going to run and try and get to the next property".

What followed was a Land Cruiser ride that put any amusement park ride I had ever been on to shame. :)

We could see the pigs running across a open grassland heading towards the property fence line about a mile away. Arrie assumed they must have a place where they can wriggle under and wanted to beat them to the fence. So with the trackers up on back holding on for dear life, Arrie took off going faster than I have ever seen a Land Cruiser go on a farm road...bouncing like crazy all the way. It was a race between us and the pigs with us trying to beat them to the fence line and set up for a shot at the boar as they slowed down to go under the fence. The pigs could run on a straight line to the fence and we were bouncing along at fast clip on the nearest road and as we were nearing the fence even left the road and took off cross country through the tall grass. Arrie had to slow down when we left the road out of fear of hitting something unseen in the grass. Despite our best effort, the pigs beat us to the fence and wriggled under to safety. We watched them continue down into a valley on the other side of the fence and figured we look for them in this area again tomorrow. Then we all laughed at the crazy race we had just been in.

By now it was getting on 11am and Arrie decided it was time to look for the cow BWB that Walla wanted so we slowly drove back toward the lodge. Wildebeest were everywhere on that ranch so it didn't take long before we came over a hill and saw a large group of them. Arrie gave a quick scan of them and picked out a suitable cow to be taken for the Old Folks home. They were just under 100 yards away...they were nervous...milling around, but had not yet bolted. Arrie directed me to the "volunteer" and because we were not really "hunting", slapped the sand bag rest down on the dash of the open air hunting vehicle and said "Shoot her in the head". So I got on the cow he had indicated. By now they were starting to mill around and we had to wait for her to come clear again, then I lined up on her ear. Probably I rushed the shot fearing that they were going to bolt any second but I pulled the shot slightly to the right...which was the difference between hitting her in the head and hitting her high on the neck where the neck joins the head.

At the shot the herd bolted and we could see the red from blood on her neck. Obviously the wound was above the spine (else she would have dropped from being hit in the spine) and probably just through the flesh. But now that she was hit we wanted to finish the job, so we watched them run off about half mile and settle down and start walking. We planned a route to intercept them and headed out in the vehicle. We circled around to get in front of them and positioned ourselves for the intercept. Soon the group came walking into sight. It took a couple minutes, but we were able to ID the cow with the blood on her neck and I got on her again. This time they were not disturbed. They had seen the vehicle and stopped walking...but were not acting nervous. Arrie called out the range as 225 yards. I was sighted in for 200 so pretty much point blank, maybe just a little low at 225. She was slightly quartered away but almost broadside. At this point I wasn't F'ing around with a head shot to save meat...I just wanted to finish the cow so I held on the upper lungs and squeezed the trigger. At the shot she took a couple steps then dropped in a heap. I racked another round into the chamber in case she got on her feet again and watched. She kicked a couple times then she was still. One cow BWB for the old folks home checked off the list.

We slowly drove the hunting truck through the grass over to the cow and the trackers loaded her into the truck. The shot ended up dead on target side to side but just a hair low. It ripped off the top of her heart and shredded the bottom of her lungs...then lodged in her far leg.

So we took her to the skinning shed where the farm workers prepared her for the butcher, who was donating his work on the animal to help out the old folks home.

So it was a fun morning with roller coaster ride racing the pigs and the BWB cow hitting the dirt.

This is the cow hanging at the farm's meat locker ready to be skinned...still gotta find out if my accountant can write this trip off as "Charity Work" now :)

1692130008547.png

Last edited:
Day 3 Afternoon and Day 4

So after dropping off the BWB Cow, we had lunch then relaxed for a bit at the lodge.

The farm workers had been seeing a big Warthog that had been frequently entering the property under the fence on a part of the farm across the main road that was set aside for the Farm's Game Breeding Program. This ranch, owned by a wealthy business family, runs one of the biggest and best game breeding programs in RSA. Bona Bona Game Farm breeds animals with great genetics, then auctions/sells the offspring to other game farms. This allows those farms to introduce new bloodlines into their herds, helping to prevent in-breeding and allows for the introduction of animals with great genetics into their herds. The breeder animals (Sable, Wildebeest, Oryx, Roan, Cape Buffalo, Eland and Klipspringer) were kept in separated pastures on a large parcel of land across the road, right next to where they also have a private airstrip for guest to fly into. Obviously there was no hunting the breeder animals on that separate property...BUT...the workers had been seeing a large warthog that would come under the fence and feed at the feeding stations set out for the breeder sables. And we had been given permission to hunt the Sable area to try and kill the Trespasser Warthog that was frequently coming for free snacks in the late afternoon. A bonus was that there was a large section of grassland near the airstrip that was known to hold lots of Duikers and open to hunting, so we could cruise that area and glass for a Duiker as well.

So about 3pm we took a ride over to the property across the road and took a slow drive looking for Duiker. We spotted a female but no males so we moved over to the Sable area, went through the locked gate (we had been given a key) and then drove to the base of a hill on the back side of that section of land. We hiked to the top of that hill and posted there. We had a clear view of the section of pasture where the Trespasser Warthog had been frequenting so we settled in and waited. I passed the time waiting for the pig to show up by glassing different Sable that were roaming the property. There were some real eyepopper Sable Bulls whose offspring brought in a lot of money I was told. This is us waiting on the hill for the pig to show his ugly face.

1692149696649.png

I am pretty sure Arrie was bored out of his mind with this kind of "stand" hunting vs. going after things spot and stalk style, but he felt this was the best chance at getting a real good warthog so he did what he felt was needed to get his hunter a good pig. Our mixture of moving and glassing in the morning and posting up where a good warthog was known to visit frequently gave us two paths to success. As a whitetail hunter from Michigan I was comfortable with sitting and glassing and passed the time looking at the breeder Sable like this one....

They place the tubes over their horns to keep them from injuring other Sable in the breeding pasture.

1692150095164.png

We waited until about 4:30pm and decided the pig wasn't gonna show this afternoon, but planned to be back the next afternoon. We left enough time to have another slow cruise around the grass area near the airstrip to have another look for Duiker. Once again we spotted a female and another one that just quickly moved away through the grass without giving us a good look.

So we called it a night and went back to the lodge for another fine dinner, glass of great South African wine and a glass of Scotch on the rocks for a nightcap.

1692150581295.png

Day 4

Day 4 started off like a repeat of Day 3 minus killing the "Charity Cow BWB". That morning found us moving and glassing waterholes and other areas, seeing lots of animals and a few Warthog but nothing to shoot at. Females with young pigs or young males.

At one point we saw a Male Warthog near a water hole that Arrie wanted to get a better look at, so we drove closer, parked the vehicle, got the wind in our favor (as always) and started slowly stalking to the water hole. About halfway to the water we came face to face with a warthog and both us and the warthog stopped dead in our tracks and stared at each other. It was his lucky day since he was too young so we waited and he eventually trotted off. We continued toward the water hole but when we got there the Warthog in question had moved off. That ended the morning and we went back to the lodge and had lunch and coffee.

The afternoon started like the prior one, cruise the grasslands near the airstrip looking for a Duiker...zippo...nada...not even a female. So it was off to the hill to watch for the Trespasser Warthog. Once again, we waited a couple hours and once again he was a no show. By now Arrie was referring to him as the "Ghost Warthog" :)

So we headed for the lodge with one last cruise around the grasslands by the airstrip. A few minutes into the grassland tour, Singa, our tracker up in the back of the truck, whistled loudly and pointed. 50 yards away was a Duiker sneaking through a opening in the tall grass. I could see horns with the naked eye. I hopped out of the vehicle and stepped around to the other side where the Duiker was, racking a shell into the chamber and flipping off the safety. Arrie confirmed I should shoot him if I had a shot. He was about the leave the clearing in the grass as I pulled the rifle up, centered the crosshairs behind his shoulder and fired offhand, almost in one motion like shooting a shotgun at a departing pheasant. The 30-06 barked and I lost sight of the Duiker at the shot but the shot felt good. Arrie and Singa confirmed he was hit.

We found him 30 yards from where he was shot. The shot entered behind the near shoulder and went out his chest in front of the far leg. I was surprised that he ran that far after seeing the hit but like everything in Africa, his will to live was strong.

Right place, right time for us....wrong place at the wrong time for him.

We pulled him to a clearing by the road to take the trophy pics. He was a battle scarred old warrior...teeth all but worn away, one horn broken, the other worn down from his peak length. This Duiker was nearing the end of his life. He wouldn't score worth crap for record books but he was a perfect trophy to me because I value old warriors over record book scores. He was a ancient Duiker for a ancient hunter.

When we took him to the skinning shed, Walla the Camp Manager, came to take a look and jokingly declared him a "Dugga Duiker". That made me smile inside and out.

So I had checked one off my list and will be proud to put him on my wall.

1692152630695.png

1692152703501.png

Last edited:
Great report.

Yeah that steenbuck was wowzer and I'd have been off the truck, buff/no buff at that point :LOL:

Great report.

Yeah that steenbuck was wowzer and I'd have been off the truck, buff/no buff at that point :LOL:
Yea, he was a real good one. My wife was quicker on the draw with her camera than I was with a gun.

I only had my .416 with me that first evening, so that probably would have been enough gun ;)

In hindsight I wish I had brought both guns and been prepared to take PG that first evening instead of being solely focused on the Cape Buffalo. Live and learn

Congratulations, great buffalo. Good story. Thanks for sharing.

Yea, he was a real good one. My wife was quicker on the draw with her camera than I was with a gun.

I only had my .416 with me that first evening, so that probably would have been enough gun ;)

In hindsight I wish I had brought both guns and been prepared to take PG that first evening instead of being solely focused on the Cape Buffalo. Live and learn
Actually your .416 might have been perfect for it. I know lots of people prefer shooting smaller game with big calibers as it tends to mess less stuff up.

Actually your .416 might have been perfect for it. I know lots of people prefer shooting smaller game with big calibers as it tends to mess less stuff up.
Yep. I just wasn’t ready
Gun was cased and behind the seat because I knew the Buff wouldn’t be a split second thing..,

After the buffalo, I always had the .30-06 in my hands with an empty chamber, but three in the magazine, so that I could react quick for an opportunity at a Duiker or Warthog

Which is exactly the way it unfolded with the Duiker…

Congratulations on a heck of a bull and properly breaking in your new rifle.
Your bull is the kind of bull I want. A character bull, an old warrior who has earned a quick, clean death.

Great story, looking forward to my first buff hunt. Bought a 404J earlier this year just for that.

Great story, looking forward to my first buff hunt. Bought a 404J earlier this year just for that.
Awesome

Another great “Buffalo Thumper”!

Maybe I spent too much time reading pictures and not enough time reading words. Who were you hunting with? I didn't see you reference the outfit youre with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glassesandwindows

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.