SOUTH AFRICA: 50 With GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS In 2022

Things that worked and some that didn’t-
I wish I had packed maybe three more shirts. Another nice one to put on before dinner and to wear around the hotel and at regular people places-touring around town etc. I had one but another would have been nice- a collared golf shirt maybe. Would bring another regular t shirt as well-I had packed enough hunting stuff, needed a bit more of everyday clothing. I wish I had taken some shorts. I have white legs and didn’t take shorts (animals do see white legs unless you are a white lion-somehow works for them) but some days shorts would’ve been nice-the afternoon bow blind for example. There were four really cold nights and cold windy days. It’s the middle of South African winter so layers were important. I was fine but I failed to help my wife pack for this-I know I’ll get blamed anyway but this time I truly should have helped her a bit. Long sleeved t shirt, hoodie, good jacket or in her case a coat. And performance fabrics! Someone commented on Wik in a coat and me in a light t shirt-I’m a big guy and utah winters are really cold so I was fine while some folks would want to have thermals and coat/beanie/maybe gloves. I also wore hiking shoes made by salewa. I was fine, my wife wore her running shoes and never complained. But I hike alot and she wasn’t around for the rough or steep stuff of which there wasn’t alot. It has been worse for other hunters but I never needed more than these shoes (not boots) made specifically for hiking.
The two biggest constant mistakes I believe guys make is not being in shape and not being proficient off sticks. Walking five miles a day was a good start for my wife and myself. I suggest you incorporate stairs and hills into that and that’s a minimum. I am 50 (duuuhh) but also a firefighter and work out alot. Wik didn’t have to slow down for me and at his pace we got alot done in a short time. He knows I like to walk and several times we abandoned the cruiser in favor of stalking on foot just because he and I both like to do it that way. Be comfortable shooting off sticks and that includes being able to find stuff in your scope. I have the luxury of a nearby public shooting range and also take my own rifles so I get lots of practice. Don’t short yourself in this dept! A wounded or lost animal costs you time and money and more time. Ohhh its a very sh@&$tty thing to do that to an animal-so maybe not just proficient but excellent behind the gun. I pracice by shooting milk jugs filled with water off sticks. Set them up at 100 to 300 yards and make each shot count. At 100 yards a gallon jug is too big, downsize accordingly. The 165 tbbc (original, not newer versions) were very good. I wouldn’t try a quartering shot on a kudu with them and the decrease your margin for error. I fully agree to go big for the caliber you regularly hunt deer with. The .375 is wonderful. I had options here and stayed with the smaller 235 grain and it was plenty. But I didn’t try to get fancy with it-broadside for quick kills on big stuff. Smaller boned game quartering was not a problem. I had 300 gr a frames and never used them-I’ll use them when I hunt buffalo someday.
Kuiu brand pants were pleasant for traveling and hunting. I like the plain colors for this-camo when I bow hunt at home. I like the zippered pockets for passports and wallet/keys etc and on days when I got warm, unzip the side vents and carry on. On the cold mornings I stayed comfortable. I use the “attack” model which denotes the weight of the fabric-not the intended purpose. They were perfect for the airplane as well as late July in the east cape.
Money-I wired all mine ahead of time. I also trust the ph and have hunted there before. I carried cash for tips. I screwed up here. I should have had $1 and $5 but failed to have my $20s broken down. So the kid who took our bags on the elevator and to our room either got a $20 or an empty handshake. Some folks got more than they deserve (or less) just because I foolishly neglected to get change before flying. I used my credit card for most things and never had a problem with it. I did pay cash for a book and used the change which was in Rands to tip folks. You know that one that guy that cleans your toilet seat in the airport then stands between it and you with his hands open. Give him a R2 coin and watch him wilt. One of them gave me a “is that all sir” and I told him all he did was squirt water in a toilet seat and if he wanted medals he should have joined the military. Another guy just told jokes with his hands open at the door. He got an angry eye to eye stare and nothing. I knew how Bruce and his team were going to be and had tip money for them all ready in my pocket, but they also never ask or stand there with their hands out-the people who really deserve something extra rarely do.
I hope we were good guests and clients. Some days our trackers had to hack a trail to a dead kudu then pack it back uphill. Those days they really earned their money and taught us something along the way. Other days they had it easy and barley got their hands bloody. Springbok for example where me and Wik would stalk and after the bang and flop they just needed to bring the car and prepare the animal. But then they did it so I didn’t have to. But the kitchen ladies are steady everyday and they even sang happy birthday and presented me with some adoreable (my wife’s words) trinkets. So figuring tips for them was left to the ph-I left him cash and asked him to disperse among those who heroed and to include his wonderful wife as well. We also try to give something personal as well but it is hard to know sizes and things and I’m certain Wik was uncomfortable with me asking what I could bring.
I told my wife to bring stuff for s’mores and I really wish she had. But she was embarrassed to do it and we missed a chance at a whimsical conversation maker there.
Covid was never an issue on our trip. We took masks to be prepared and had QR codes ready and even taped my vax card inside the last cover of my passport but never needed any of it. Thankfully.

DSC_0502 (1).JPG
DSC_0596 (2).JPG
DSC_0870.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0873.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Para45-Rudolph shooting sticks really were easy to use and aided my accuracy. I just ordered a pair by googling “Rudolph shooting sticks” they were $129.
My wife wore Nike running shoes and Prois and kuiu pants. She likes both but the prois did have a swishing sound we didn’t care for.
I prefer lightweight wool socks for most hunting situations, I buy smartwool socks at any local store.
Wiks land cruiser had a heavy denim dash protector with zippered pockets. I kept my small camera lens, gloves and warm hat there until needed. They could hold extra ammo if needed. Pretty smart idea, I’ll try and find them stateside.
DSC_0621 (1).JPG

Last edited:
Thank you for the hunting report Sir! It was a pleasure having you both in Camp and hunting with you.
Im sure everyone will agree that your report was very well written!
I enjoyed reading it. :) (y)
Thank you from the Game 4 Africa Team

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

When am I going back? I already suggested to Wik that I would like to come back and do a buffalo hunt. If you want to see Wik get really excited, talk buffalo hunting or chasing big kudu! We saw buffalo in the spekboom jungles and that got me excited and when we encountered the herd in the dark I was solidly hooked. But, going to G4A and not hunting kudu would be ridiculous. Maybe the dumbest thing I didn't do on this trip was hiring a videographer. My wife was there and we had a big list of hard and fun hunts to do. I should have asked about getting it filmed but did not and I deeply wish I had.
So my thinking right now is to take 7 or 8 days-hunt hard for buffalo and kudu and if we are successful with time left over I would go after zebra and impala, which are not hard hunts, just seeing lots of animals and fun hunting and getting it filmed next time, my wife already said she wants to go back.
Archery is intriguing as well and I would love to go there just to hunt with a bow and take what is offered-then stalk some of the target species just for the challenge. Lots of good options and I would be happy to do them with G4A.
But I would also like to see Namibia sometime and there is alot of South Africa still to visit. There are still some cape specialties I would like to hunt and I like the concept of hunting with other AH members. So I may have some detours and side trips to plan on the way. Was thinking maybe myself and some of the previous G4A hunters could plan a group hunt one summer and share stories around the fire at the same time. Those are fun daydreams but the buffalo hunt must be a reality! Lets Walk!
DSC_0315 (3).JPG

Attachments

• DSC_0388 (2).JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 57
  • DSC_0391 (1).JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0495 (1).JPG
    5.4 MB · Views: 50
Excellent report - What a trip you had!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Since my crate made it home I have been moving skins and horns to various taxidermists who will be doing the work. Still need to make a trip to Wyoming to drop the eland for a pedestal mount. Was very pleased with the skulls-notice the bone between the horns on the BW-still unbroken and wonderfullly clean. Wiks taxidermist did some top shelf work. I told my crate story on another post so won’t re write it but have been very pleased with the work I had done thus far.

Hey Firebird, just a curiosity killed the cat question, how many taxidermist are mounting your animals? I’ve considered having multiple taxidermist do some of mine as I like how some do tiny ten while others do great with the bigger antelope than the little ones but I’ve always kinda went with the middle ground to save on shipping and that kind of stuff.

There are two “kickers” in my answer-one is that is have been a bird taxidermist for over 30 years and have made lots of connections in that time. The other is that I married one of my connections daughters.
So-my father in law will do some, the taxidermist that imported them to his shop will do a big share of the work. A young but very skilled friend is doing a couple for me and lastly a taxidermist in Wyoming made a form a year or two ago and I need to see if I can have him do my animal on his form. They are all very good, turnaround times and prices vary but by spreading it out it helps me afford it as it gets finished. I know alot
Of guys I call friends that I simply won’t take African game to them-hope that helps

Great report, would love to see more pics of that bushbuck!

I would call bushbuck the most difficult trophy to acquire with Game4Africa. That said I would put it right up there with kudu as the most fun thing to hunt. The hills are fairly rugged and steep but the foliage is just wicked thick. I will put in some pictures so you see what I mean. Wik has amazing eyes and will constantly point out a ewe here or a too young ram there or a kudu or some little thing I haven't found yet-amazing eyes! Notice the trackers carry out your game-no dragging, no cape or meat destruction. Bushbuck are very cool, small but tough and difficult to find even though there are lots of them. I did shoot mine in the head so that made pix a bit more difficult but the cape didn't look too bad. . . Here is a big ewe in a clearing
resize bushbuck.JPG

resize mtn 75.jpg

resize nyala 75.jpg

Pretty nyala bull against a wall of thorns. Some of you will start having nightmarish flashbacks of the thorns and the end of great bushbuck and kudu country, or just the beginning of bushbuck and kudu heaven!

resize bushbuck75.jpg
resize bushbuck 75 1.jpg

They have other places to hunt bushbuck and especially kudu (you will see alot of bulls and Wik will say, "he's a bit young, lets find a better one) and I have killed bulls in three different areas now, but this is my favorite!

I would agree with Firebird about the difficulty of the EC bushbuck, it’s so darn thick. I hunted 2 places for bushbuck with Wic, the first was up near where we shot mountain reedbuck and steenbok. We saw several rams but all were young . We spent one morning there before moving on to the reedbuck and steenbok. The next morning we went to Port Alfred and hunted with the ocean in the background and I shot a beautiful ram bushbuck. We didn’t start hunting until about 9:00 am and saw about 20 different bushbuck and shot my ram about 20 minutes from the truck. That farm has to be the most beautiful place on earth to both me and my wife!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois