Soonest/Safest return to South Africa?

As a guidance.
Canada and Australia have just announced today that their athletes are not going to attend the 2020 Olympics scheduled to start in July.

The Olympic committee is going to make a decision in the next few weeks about postponement, not cancellation.

I read today that 80% of U.S. citizens will get the virus. It seems once you have had the virus and recovered that you should be free to travel since you are no longer a carrier but they're doing just the opposite in requiring a negative COVID-19 test. And I guess it means 80% of us won't ever be able to hunt Africa again! This is crazy.
That prediction itself and the idea that 80% of us will never be allowed into africa is absolutely ridiculous. Some media sources have predicted 500k deaths just in texas. The world wont have that many from this. Be smart and careful not to make the situation worse but dont buy into the media claims, especially the most extreme ones or you will just be effecting your own mental health

Nobody really knows at this point.... I have a trip lined up in August for SA, and still holding out hope to be able to go. Only time will tell.

Already had to postpone a trip to Romania in May :(

From reading the SA newspapers, they are sweating huge bullets.

Wonder why?

Rural Texas transport to get to school. ( Looks like the Pickups are even social distancing there is so much room)
Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 08.46.44.png

South African School Taxi

Overloaded-School-Taxi.jpg

Township in JNB.

800px-soweto_housing_johannesburg.jpg

Taxi in SA.

Taxis.jpg

Standby for President addressing the nation in two hours; army seen moving into locations across the country. Expecting a total lockdown of at least a month to be announced.

That prediction itself and the idea that 80% of us will never be allowed into africa is absolutely ridiculous. Some media sources have predicted 500k deaths just in texas. The world wont have that many from this. Be smart and careful not to make the situation worse but dont buy into the media claims, especially the most extreme ones or you will just be effecting your own mental health

You can say that but it doesn't make it true. Exponential growth is something most people don't understand. This business of not allowing people who have had the virus to travel is what is crazy. They are the non-carriers! If S.A. keeps this policy then expect other countries to reciprocate. Since the people most likely to get the virus are the movers and shakers of S.A. do they understand that they'll never be allowed to leave S.A., ever. I don't think they have thought this through.

I have rescheduled April 6 hunt to middle of August. I think I am going to hold off having Lori rebook the air flights till we get closer.

Just a heads up, DO NOT BOOK ANY FLIGHTS WITH SAA. I had a mid May JNB to PLZ round trip that they stopped flying and was told by my travel agent they aren't issuing any refunds. Need to call my CC company and see what they can do.

Depending on your CC company and the type of card you have. You could try a charge back. SAA cancelled our flights April 6 and gave us some BS credit we have to book and use by a certain date

Just a heads up, DO NOT BOOK ANY FLIGHTS WITH SAA. I had a mid May JNB to PLZ round trip that they stopped flying and was told by my travel agent they aren't issuing any refunds. Need to call my CC company and see what they can do.

SAA sent out a message that they are allowing a free date change.

SAA sent out a message that they are allowing a free date change.

Doesn't do any good for in country flights that have been discontinued. Best policy with SAA at this point is to NOT buy ANY tickets from them for ANY flight. From what I've seen over the years, the only route they have left is liquidation.

Doesn't do any good for in country flights that have been discontinued. Best policy with SAA at this point is to NOT buy ANY tickets from them for ANY flight. From what I've seen over the years, the only route they have left is liquidation.

Why can't you book the flight for when travel opens up? They are giving more than a year's flexibility for the dates. I just flew with them two weeks ago via JFK. One of the best trips across I have ever had. New planes, service was excellent. Food was as good as aeroplane food will get.

Why can't you book the flight for when travel opens up? They are giving more than a year's flexibility for the dates. I just flew with them two weeks ago via JFK. One of the best trips across I have ever had. New planes, service was excellent. Food was as good as aeroplane food will get.

How would I do that when the bankruptcy overseers cancelled those flights? It's a function of the bankruptcy, not the virus shutdown. I don't see them surviving this final nail in the coffin. They're headed for liquidation. The SA government will need money for the mitigation of the economic costs of the virus, let alone subsidizing a losing entity. They'll go the same way as many other nation subsidized airlines, shut down.

Last edited:
How would I do that when the bankruptcy overseers cancelled those flights? It's a function of the bankruptcy, not the virus shutdown. I don't see them surviving this final nail in the coffin. They're headed for liquidation.

1.Every single one of my hunters who had flights with SAA for this year, have been given and put on new flights.
2. The flight that my wife and I have been given new dates for, was suppose to happen today. We are getting new dates on SAA, as long as its to the same destination.

Says we must travel by February 28th 2021. See you for Christmas Marius.

The reorganization is trying to get the airline running properly.
Cancelling flights with little warning certainly creates doubt. Like anything, watch how they manage as they go forward.

Says we must travel by February 28th 2021. See you for Christmas Marius.

I doubt that you'll make that mistake again. I'm planning on being in Vegas.

New dates and a couple bucks will get you a cup of joe at the local quickie mart. All I can say is good luck!

Edit: Marius, I admire your optimism but one thing I've learned over seven decades is a politician won't take any chance he's going to lose his job. Endangering the populace is probably at the top of the list of their worries. There is a need for a vaccine for this virus, not a treatment and that's going to take north of a year to develop.

Last edited:
As a guidance.
Canada and Australia have just announced today that their athletes are not going to attend the 2020 Olympics scheduled to start in July.

The Olympic committee is going to make a decision in the next few weeks about postponement, not cancellation.

There is no chance they are going to have the Olympics this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!