Something New From Nepal

Nice have 3 I ordered from them...love kukris...and was given one of these for a bday by a friend who is involved with a gurka charity stroke operations outfit....beautiful piece..

View attachment 441387
I'd like to get several more from them, some of their other vintage military ones and perhaps one or two of the historic ones. But I'm also thinking I might go for something different from their custom department. A double-edged straight kindjal, maybe, or a khanjar.

I'd like to get several more from them, some of their other vintage military ones and perhaps one or two of the historic ones. But I'm also thinking I might go for something different from their custom department. A double-edged straight kindjal, maybe, or a khanjar.

Others I got were couple of different military ones...and biggest was a butchers kukri...as said love kukris..a cold steel LTC one lives down side of the seat in my cruiser...shame they stopped making them ...

Don't get me started on kindjals or qamas :) IMO, top of the dagger designs.

Don't get me started on kindjals or qamas :) IMO, top of the dagger designs.
A British P1895/7 infantry officer's sword and a kindjal or a khanjar being used the same way as a rapier and left-hand dagger is admittedly something I'd like to try out. I blame Frank Herbert and Dune for putting that idea into my head!

Oh my goodness! Legit old European left hand daggers are very desirable blades! I see them occasionally but good ones are a little out of my $ comfort zone. Somewhat similar to two handed swords and European maces. Sometimes you can get lucky and stumble upon them at yard sales and the like. I never have.

Kindjals seem a little more common and not so pricey in the market. They come from a large diverse geographic/ethnographic area so naturally vary some in design. Seems to be two major types- fairly plain utilitarian or really fancy. The ones with the extraordinary filigree, engraving and niello work on the scabbards and handles usually come from the Caucuses- either Russian and Georgian side. Sometimes lumped together and known as Georgian kindjals.

Good luck in your pursuit. Even one cultural blade or weapon type can consume a lifetime of study.

Forgot to mention that the George Stone reference book, “A Glossary of … Arms and Armor…” first published in 1934, that many use, does have a few errors. Not many but a few. Understandable considering the huge volume of information compiled. Nonetheless it deserves to remain the core of any reference library on blades and weapons.

I don't think I've seen @Major Khan online in a while but I'd be happy for any assistance he might be able to lend.

As I said, I've managed a rough translation. I used the simplest online method I could find (transcribing the text was actually kinda fun but parsing through a half dozen different translations for each word was not) so it wasn't terribly grammatical or necessarily accurate.
@WebleyGreene455
You are a lucky man I have a Nepalese friend down the road I will ask him if he can translate it for you today my man.
Bob

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen, This punch dot marking is on one of my Nepalese koras. Would you mind asking your friend about this? I'm plumb dumb ignorant about what is likely a Sanskrit based marking.
Much appreciated!

Nepalese kora  blade marking.JPG

@WebleyGreene455
You are a lucky man I have a Nepalese friend down the road I will ask him if he can translate it for you today my man.
Bob
Thanks, Bob!

@fourfive8 I hope to be adding a Boer War-period British Mounted Rifles officer's sword to my collection soon. Not quite as iconic as the P1895/97 infantry sword but still pretty close to a "modern" rapier, all things considered. I'm sure I'll be able to find the manual of arms for it online, too.

"@fourfive8 I hope to be adding a Boer War-period British Mounted Rifles officer's sword to my collection soon. Not quite as iconic as the P1895/97 infantry sword but still pretty close to a "modern" rapier, all things considered. I'm sure I'll be able to find the manual of arms for it online, too."

Excellent, hope you get it. If so- post pics!

I don't think I've seen @Major Khan online in a while but I'd be happy for any assistance he might be able to lend.

As I said, I've managed a rough translation. I used the simplest online method I could find (transcribing the text was actually kinda fun but parsing through a half dozen different translations for each word was not) so it wasn't terribly grammatical or necessarily accurate.
@WebleyGreene455
Bob
A British P1895/7 infantry officer's sword and a kindjal or a khanjar being used the same way as a rapier and left-hand dagger is admittedly something I'd like to try out. I blame Frank Herbert and Dune for putting that idea into my head!
@WebleyGreene455
Just showed your prayer to my Nepalese neighbour and sorry he can't translate it as it is in Buddhist script not Nepalese.
Bob

"@fourfive8 I hope to be adding a Boer War-period British Mounted Rifles officer's sword to my collection soon. Not quite as iconic as the P1895/97 infantry sword but still pretty close to a "modern" rapier, all things considered. I'm sure I'll be able to find the manual of arms for it online, too."

Excellent, hope you get it. If so- post pics!
Well I can show you the listing for now. I got the email that it's been prepped for shipping only a minute ago: https://www.antique-swords.com/w08-british-boer-war-frontier-mounted-rifles-officers/

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.10.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.10.02 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 55
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.10.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.10.04 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 52
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.10.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-17 at 11.10.06 AM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 58
I'm familiar with the source but have never gotten anything from them. Their descriptions have always seemed fair and correct.

You did well! That sword looks really good, shows honest wear and appears to be in well above average conditon. The price seems very fair also. Those twisted wire grip wraps are the most fragile parts of any sword with grips that have them so are of little concern to collectors. Super looking sword and scabbard!!! The scabbard's leather chape/drag is an interesting variation of the metal chape normally found on most scabbards.

An aside... A frayed wire grip wrap on a sword, belonging to the family of one of King Richard's knights, covering a secret code phrase which read, "Rise and Rise Again Until Lambs Become Lions", nicked Robin Longstride's hand after Richard's death in France. Longstride discovered this hidden remembrance after unwinding the twisted wire. This reveal led to his discovering his identity as the son of one of the originators of the Magna Carta. One of several excellent plot twist imaginations in the movie, Robin Hood, Ridley Scott 2010 :):)

And it's row me bully boys
We're in a hurry boys
We got a long way to go
We'll sing and we'll dance and bid farewell to France
And it's row me, bully boys row

Last edited:
I'm familiar with the source but have never gotten anything from them. Their descriptions have always seemed fair and correct.

You did well! That sword looks really good, shows honest wear and appears to be in well above average conditon. The price seems very fair also. Those twisted wire grip wraps are the most fragile parts of any sword with grips that have them so are of little concern to collectors. Super looking sword and scabbard!!! The scabbard's leather chape/drag is an interesting variation of the metal chape normally found on most scabbards.

An aside... A frayed wire grip wrap on a sword, belonging to the family of one of King Richard's knights, covering a secret code phrase which read, "Rise and Rise Again Until Lambs Become Lions", nicked Robin Longstride's hand after Richard's death in France. Longstride discovered this hidden remembrance after unwinding the twisted wire. This reveal led to his discovering his identity as the son of one of the originators of the Magna Carta. One of several excellent plot twist imaginations in the movie, Robin Hood, Ridley Scott 2010 :):)

And it's row me bully boys
We're in a hurry boys
We got a long way to go
We'll sing and we'll dance and bid farewell to France
And it's row me, bully boys row
I've had my eye on that sword for the better part of a year or so. Glad to have it headed my way now, although unfortunately I don't think it'll be here in time to put under the tree and show my family come the 25th.

Scene from Robin Hood

I still haven't seen that movie. Hmm... where can I legally watch it without having to start another subscription...
LOL! Or get a real English shooter longbow or another sword :) it never ends......

New DVD about $10 on Amazon.

71thXbJ-qfL._SY445_.jpg

Last edited:
LOL! Or get a real English shooter longbow or get another sword :)
Actually I've been looking for a pyramid-type bow or something more appropriate to the Viking period. Flagella Dei makes both; I might pick one of theirs up if I can't find something more to my liking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tope

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!