Someone Stole A Blaser R8 Barrel

Muskox

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Namibia, Australia, Spain, Germany, all over the United States
This was from the USPS on a shipment here last week. Let me know if you see a custom Elmar 416 R8 barrel anywhere.

@Muskox, Sorry to hear about your barrel being stolen. I think that if you could include a bit more information that it might be helpful.

I've personal learned a painful lesson this year about the USPS on an insured item that I would never again use USPS to ship anything of value ever again. USPS is a complete disaster and incompetent in doing the most basic job and you as a consumer has no recourse against them.

@Muskox, Sorry to hear about your barrel being stolen. I think that if you could include a bit more information that it might be helpful.

I've personal learned a painful lesson this year about the USPS on an insured item that I would never again use USPS to ship anything of value ever again. USPS is a complete disaster and incompetent in doing the most basic job and you as a consumer has no recourse against them.

Did they not honor the insurance agreement?

Did they not honor the insurance agreement?
No, months long effort on my part to get anyone from USPS to do their job, even answer the phones or return calls from messages left. They just gave me the run around from all departments, no accountability, no recourse, no intention, a very expensive lesson learned.

UPS is on the same boat. My insurance company will insure shipments of firearm components up to $25K each for Fedex etc., if signature required. They will not cover if the item is shipped via UPS.

I wondered why until I received a $2K item via UPS, signature required. The guy just left it on my front porch without even ringing the doorbell.

No, months long effort on my part to get anyone from USPS to do their job, even answer the phones or return calls from messages left. They just gave me the run around from all departments, no accountability, no recourse, no intention, a very expensive lesson learned.

Sorry to hear it. Getting "the run around" when your own money is on the line has got to be one of the most frustrating things in the world.

@Muskox I'll do a search every once in a while on the off chance it pops up somewhere.

The public post office system is horrendous in most places. Few weeks ago I was getting something posted to Poland from Denmark. There was no courier option on the website so I emailed the shop asking for them to courier it instead of using post office as they are super slow and unreliable in Poland. The reply was: “sure, it's the same here, maybe they all went to the same school”.

Sorry about your barrel missing, hopefully this will somehow get resolved.

UPS is on the same boat. My insurance company will insure shipments of firearm components up to $25K each for Fedex etc., if signature required. They will not cover if the item is shipped via UPS.

I wondered why until I received a $2K item via UPS, signature required. The guy just left it on my front porch without even ringing the doorbell.
I know what you mean Tanks.... but with the current signature required wavier; Fedex left my signature required .470NE Sabatti sitting on my front porch with no signature even though it was required!

NOT Kidding!

I always redirect my UPS and Fedex packages to hold at a location and then pick them up. Nothing like going to Walgreens to pick up a wood crate with a buffalo skull.

Been down the USPS road with a crate that "arrived empty" and went to the dead letter office. It magically showed up 2 weeks later intact. Everyone was basically just lying.

Another well run government institution (major sarcasms here). I can't believe how they can stay in business.

@Tanks We must have the same insurance provider. I get paid within a week of a problem and then they get there money from FedEx.

@Tanks We must have the same insurance provider. I get paid within a week of a problem and then they get there money from FedEx.

Maybe. The advantage of my policy is that I do not have to declare a value and pay an extra fee for a separate insurance to Fedex. My insurance covers it as long as it is signature required.

For flights, the limit is $60K so that covers two Heym doubles. :giggle:

I haven't dealt with USPS regarding a claim, however my experiences have indicated more of a supervisory/employee problem that results in inconsistent results. For example we made two mail order purchases from the same store. One on March 2 the other on March 6. the packages were soft envelopes of nearly the same size and weight. The March 2 sent from Chatsworth (CA) to Santa Clarita(CA) a dist center, it spent the night and went to Los Angeles on 3/3, where it spent two nights, on 3/6 it departed for Spokane (WA) where it a night, arriving in Wenatchee (WA) on 3/7. After spending the night it went to Leavenworth and was delivered on 3/8. Travel time 6 days
Package two left Chatsworth on to Santa Clarita and departed for Spokane all on 3/6, arrived Spokane 3/8 then 3/9 on to Wenatchee and Leavenworth for Delivery. Travel 3 days.
We have several packages with similar results. the main issue seems to be if from Santa Clarita it is sent north and all things go well, or if it returns to Los Angeles and all sorts of delays and misdirects occur. One occasion a package went from Santa Clarita back to LA, then to Las Vegas, Boise and Spokane. Travel on that one was about 10 days.

so while we get very good service from our local post office and generally from the other processing centers it does appear that there is a problem in the Los Angeles center for packages being delayed and misdirected. So my conclusion is as noted, there is a problem at the local level of the various problem areas that isn't, to use the current "woke" word, "systemic".

I have had packages from USPS ping-pong between two locations completely unrelated during a shipment from FL to CA before finally getting lost.

I also have had a cement mixer be loaded on vehicle for delivery by UPS according to tracking and get completely lost as well. Lowe's told me it happens frequently and sent me a new one and refunded 20% of my purchase price for the inconvenience.

Guess, with billions of pieces of mail/packages each year it is normal to get some lost/misplaced/stolen regardless of carrier though over the years the most reliable has been Fedex and DHL for me.

My buddy had 5 Glocks stolen from INSIDE a main USPS hub. They found the cardboard box open, and the pistol boxes scattered around.. Only 2 ever showed back up, and that was on crime scenes. Even with the ATF investigating, no explanation.

I worry you will never see it again

Ugh! I can concur to never use the USPS for anything of any value! $1,000 shipment didn't even make it out of the state. No luck with the so called “insurance”. Simply another failed government bureaucracy.
Here they cant find anyone to take the jobs because they cant pass the drug screening. I watched a young guy pass us and driving across the yellow stripes from side to side the other day. Speeding and passing everyone in...wait for it...a Postal Jeep... of all things!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross