Some CZ questions

Congrats on taking the plunge.
I hope it works out well for you.

Just put in an order for a American Safari in .375. Should be here early June! Now what to put on for scope.....

Depends on where and/or what you plan on hunting. Bush hunting something along the lines of a 1.5-5x20, or a fixed 3x. More open country something like a 3-9x40 would work. I have an old Bausch & Lomb 3-9x40 on my BRNO. I would also suggest Talley or Warne ringmounts. CZ ringmounts are good but to be a bit more classy use Talley or Warne. QD's are a good option also. Allows you to use your open sights. Depends on your budget also. My budget keeps me in the mid range scope price. I have a cross section of Nikon's Monarch 3's, Leupolds VX III's , and Zeiss HD 5's on my heavier calibre rifles. Not much difference in optical quality except Zeiss has a 5x zoom magnification ratio and has better light retention in low light conditions. I believe the new Monarch 5 & 7's have a 5x zoom magnification ratio and the 7 series has a 30mm tube. Higher end scopes are nice but I still have kids LOL.
Have fun!

Talley QR rings have been great on my CZ in 500 Jeffery. I like the 1.5-5x20, but there's lots of great scope choices out there.

I am certainly no expert.

Double cross bolts are in Magnum rifles.

Mine has been fine (for me) out of the box. Others like to talk about the custom shop with the bolt and trigger needing some work. Some have talked about loading issues.

Never looked at the stocks really.

I enjoy the set trigger.
I have a load that is very accurate. (after working it up and working myself up to being able to shoot a large magnum rifle)

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/i-blame-all-of-you.17339/

I just used it on the last trip and anything out to 500 yards was fair game.
I like the rifle.
Brickburn... what were you shooting at 500 yards? What caliber and what scope? :A Camping:

Just put in an order for a American Safari in .375. Should be here early June! Now what to put on for scope.....

I'd have a look at the Leupold 1-4 x 20 with a custom #4 reticle.
https://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-2-riflescopes/vx-2-1-4x20mm/

I had one on my 9.3x62 on my last trip to Africa and it was an economical buy and well matched to my rifles calibre. I used it in for hunting in thick sickle bush and for the 260 yard shot I made on my Kudu. It did not over balance my rifle and was easy to mount on a standard length action.

I can vouch for the Warnes QD rings. Have two pair for my CZ, neither have left zero once. A Burris 3 x 9 in one set and very old Redfield 2 3/4 in the other. The only other QD rings I have experience with are the Griffin and Howe, quite frankly I find them over priced but very good.

image.jpeg

Rifle arrived today. Looks good to me.

Upon trying to cycle some Rounds through, my brass were jamming half way in, almost like they aren't feeding at the correct angle. When I drop it in manually, there are no issues with it going all the way in. Has anyone else had this issue?

View attachment 153419

Rifle arrived today. Looks good to me.

Upon trying to cycle some Rounds through, my brass were jamming half way in, almost like they aren't feeding at the correct angle. When I drop it in manually, there are no issues with it going all the way in. Has anyone else had this issue?

Unfortunately CZ's have been known to come out of the box with feeding issues. Some CZ owners will be along soon to tell you what to do to resolve this. As I recall some get this done simply by kind of more/less forcing the issue by cycling the bolt and working out burrs this way. I think others have taken time to polish the feed rails a bit. In the end it seems like most people get this worked fairly quickly and easily and most importantly cheaply.

I forget the caliber, but are you using factory rounds to check with? My guess is the feed ramp is cut wrong. I had the same exact issue with a Ruger .458 old model 77 that had been around for years, but no one ever shot it much or bothered to fix it, until silly me came along. Did you try fast and slow? Sometimes if you slam them in you can overcome small ramp issues. If it jams fast or slow, I would sent it back to CZ after talking to them. There is no excuse for sending out a new rifle that wont feed ammo! I just don't see how companies expect shooters to keep buying guns that wont work.

I forget the caliber, but are you using factory rounds to check with? My guess is the feed ramp is cut wrong. I had the same exact issue with a Ruger .458 old model 77 that had been around for years, but no one ever shot it much or bothered to fix it, until silly me came along. Did you try fast and slow? Sometimes if you slam them in you can overcome small ramp issues. If it jams fast or slow, I would sent it back to CZ after talking to them. There is no excuse for sending out a new rifle that wont feed ammo! I just don't see how companies expect shooters to keep buying guns that wont work.
I agree with this. Try working the bolt more quickly. If it works, then cycling the ammunition (better if it is dummy for safety) through while watching TV may be all that is required.

One
One of the reasons I've kinda "shied away" from CZ. Don't get me wrong it's a good strong rifle it's just their customer service for the most part is brutal and there are some quality issues. That being said I have 7 CZ's and 3 BRNO's. I now try to find the older BRNO series if I'm looking for a specific calibre, or Win M70's CRF.

Slamming the round in worked, just didn't want to get rammy with it in the first ten minutes of opening the box! I guess I'll just have to work it in good! Any recommended products to use?

image.jpeg

Here she is all gussied up. Thanks to @shuter for the scope. Now all I need is to get out and have my ass handed to me by it.

If it doesnt loosen up you very well may need to send it in. Once right they are great rifles. Work the bolt a bunch too if it is stiff. I sat in front of TV and worked bolt for a couple of hours. Do it when wife isn't home!!!! LOL

Now all I need is to get out and have my ass handed to me by it.

You'll do fine. It won't take long at all until it feels no worse than a .30/06. Enjoy!

Elbow grease! If after a while it still wont properly feed slowly, then it must go back. Good luck!
At least they will work on it, unlike Ruger. If you have a non current Ruger product that needs service or repair, they tell you to take it to a gunsmith!o_O Seriously. They only work on current production guns. When I called to tell them about the bad feed ramp on that old model .458, that's what they told me. Take it to a gunsmith.

A little elbow grease did the job!:E Weak:

Is it behaving better now? Feeds fast or slow? I remember years ago when I got my first .375, a Mark X Whitworth Mauser. Action was pretty rough, but it did feed properly, so I spent several hours working in the action, lots of cycles! But over time it got pretty smooth and has always been totally reliable. I hope yours works out well.

Still needs some working in, but it's already quite a bit better. Nothing an hour in the garage for the next few nights can't fix!

Aaron, I had to do the same thing with my CZ375.....Plenty elbow grease.

Took her out for a spin this afternoon, and must say that it doesn't bite nearly as bad as I imagined! Started out with some 60% loads because I didn't know what to expect. Then I tested out some hand loads, 250 grain TTSX's and H4985. Also loaded some 300 grain TSX to see how they kicked, and at 68 grains not too bad. Gun seems to shoot pretty well, and should be easy to dial in. After about 25 shots off the sticks I had to call it quits, but very happy with the purchase!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg