So what about the other English gunmakers? Watson, Cogswell, Army Navy

Jager01

AH member
Reaction score
ive been looking around and I have seen some beatiful examples of english gun making from these companies, but curious, if Rigby is one of the best, where do these makers stack up,in quality? Did any famous hunters use a Watson bros, Cogswell etc..

I believe John Wilkes, Watson, Jeffery, Westley Richards and others sold and/or built extremely good doubles.

In general H&H still commands the highest price. Rigby doubles can be found for reasonable prices. Some such as Army Navy were built as a working man's rifle and can be found for a good price. However price does not always reflect quality.

I am certain most PHs used doubles other than Rigby. Here is one example.

THE HON. DENYS FINCH HATTON BIG GAME RIFLE
A CHARLES LANCASTER .450 (3 1/4IN) NITRO EXPRESS BACK-ACTION SIDELOCK EJECTOR DOUBLE RIFLE, serial no. 13315,
25in. replacement nitro chopperlump barrels (by the makers in 1929) with matt sight rib, open sights and ramp-mounted bead foresight (missing protector), barrels engraved 'CHARLES LANCASTER - 99 MOUNT STREET, BERKELEY SQUARE, LONDON', treble-grip stepped action with side-clips, carved fences, automatic safety with gold-inlaid 'SAFE' detail, elongated top-strap, Lancaster patent detachable dipped-edge back-action lockplates, engraved 'patent 64311', Rogers patent cocking levers, best bold scroll engraving, the makers name within a cartouche, retaining traces of original colour-hardening, 15in. well-figured pistolgrip stock with cheekpiece, rose gold escutcheon inscribed 'D.F.H. - NOVEMBER 1928', engraved pistolgrip-cap and chequered steel grip-strap, including 1in. rubber recoil pad, fore-end with grip release catch, weight 11lb.7oz., in its lightweight leather case, the lid initialled 'D. F-H'.
The makers have kindly confirmed that the rifle was completed in 1911, originally in .475 calibre (and subsequently rebarrelled by them to .450 calibre in 1929) for the Hon Denys Finch Hatton

Last edited:
Here is another.

A pair of .450 (3½in. No. 2 Nitro Express) boxlock ejector rifles by J. Lang. No. 16748/9 They were bought by Philip Percival on 9th December 1927.

Most game department issued 404J's in Tanzania in the 60's that I was aware of were either Jeffrey's or Cogswell Harrison's. Certainly not used by famous hunters or PH's. Just working guys that depended on them.

The working guys who do it day in and out are still incredible in my book, what a job!

I believe John Wilkes, Watson, Jeffery, Westley Richards and others sold and/or built extremely good doubles.

In general H&H still commands the highest price. Rigby doubles can be found for reasonable prices. Some such as Army Navy were built as a working man's rifle and can be found for a good price. However price does not always reflect quality.

I am certain most PHs used doubles other than Rigby. Here is one example.

THE HON. DENYS FINCH HATTON BIG GAME RIFLE
A CHARLES LANCASTER .450 (3 1/4IN) NITRO EXPRESS BACK-ACTION SIDELOCK EJECTOR DOUBLE RIFLE, serial no. 13315,
25in. replacement nitro chopperlump barrels (by the makers in 1929) with matt sight rib, open sights and ramp-mounted bead foresight (missing protector), barrels engraved 'CHARLES LANCASTER - 99 MOUNT STREET, BERKELEY SQUARE, LONDON', treble-grip stepped action with side-clips, carved fences, automatic safety with gold-inlaid 'SAFE' detail, elongated top-strap, Lancaster patent detachable dipped-edge back-action lockplates, engraved 'patent 64311', Rogers patent cocking levers, best bold scroll engraving, the makers name within a cartouche, retaining traces of original colour-hardening, 15in. well-figured pistolgrip stock with cheekpiece, rose gold escutcheon inscribed 'D.F.H. - NOVEMBER 1928', engraved pistolgrip-cap and chequered steel grip-strap, including 1in. rubber recoil pad, fore-end with grip release catch, weight 11lb.7oz., in its lightweight leather case, the lid initialled 'D. F-H'.
The makers have kindly confirmed that the rifle was completed in 1911, originally in .475 calibre (and subsequently rebarrelled by them to .450 calibre in 1929) for the Hon Denys Finch Hatton

A Rigby "rising bite" will command a premium equal to the same caliber in a Holland & Holland Royal of equal condition. Prices on British doubles are based on perceived quality (damn near all were superb) however, some have higher perceived quality than others; embellishment (read quality of engraving) and to a lesser degree - wood; uniqueness (read rarity) the afore mentioned "Royal" and "rising bite" among others; and above all - condition. You can buy a Westley Richards "drop lock" double rifle for as little as 20K are as much as 60k on up depending upon condition and caliber. Everything is relative.

Birmingham was a center of the gunmaking trade and a lot of outworkers had a hand in the creations carrying lesser known names. All were very highly skilled and all did good work (otherwise, they didn't get the work). I've seen some Army & Navy doubles that were splendidly made, working class boxlocks of stunning fit and finish (all were mostly plain, with regard to engraving and wood, but they had it where it counts, in spades...dead tight on the face, lively feel, etc.).

Here is one example (and by the way, I should have mentioned that Army & Navy was an outlet, a retailer and these guns are essentially private-labeled items...made by another (by others), but carrying the Army & Navy name).

http://www.gunsinternational.com/AR...4b8d831fb-6E8C793A-90B1-1C33-4613E9B817C83934

I'd take this rifle over ANY modern double of a similar price. Heck, you'd have to spend at least twice as much to get something not even as nice made for you, today.

For when the listing above gets pulled, one of the images of the 470 double (as these threads can have a rather long life).
100544325_2808_46133A426A373D6A.jpg

I think that many of the other makers like Cogswell&Harrison, Watson bros., Army&Navy, John Wilkes, Joseph Lang etc. made excellent rifles..

These rifles have lived far too long in the shadow of the top brands..

My own double is a good example, made by John Wilkes "to the trade"...for Midland Gun Co. (Birmingham). It came with barrels in .475 3 1/4 and .280 Flanged NE.

These doubles can be bougth to a significant lower price in Europe than in the US and loading components/ammo can be found for most of them.

Kynoch have revived a lot of the older cartridges too...all loaded with Woodleigh soft or solids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JannEarle

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois