So, I Was In The Loading Room Today...

So, I was in the loading room today - loading a small batch of 300 Blackout.

I took a little break in the middle of seating bullets, to just gaze around and enjoy the ambiance.

I started thinking about how I am an old fart now, and it won't be long and I will probably have to swear off the big stuff. In retirement it will probably be mostly 22 Rimfire to 300 Magnum. And I do have 5 30 caliber rifles to feed, so I should be good.

Then my mind wandered to the inevitable question..."do I have enough of a 30 caliber bullet stash to make it to the grave"?

Without taking my hand from the press, I started counting .308 diameter bullets...about 11,000 jacketed.

I also have enough lead to cast up another 50,000, but most of that lead will probably be used for pistol boolits.

If I go through 500 308 bullets per year, and I retire at 65, I need to croak at 87 or I am going to run out of bullets!

I would like to make it at least as long as my dear old dad made it, so it appears I need to buy at least another 2,000 30 cal!!

And this is how the mind works, as it descends into the pit of elder irrationality!

I took a little break in the middle of seating bullets, to just gaze around and enjoy the ambiance.

I started thinking about how I am an old fart now, and it won't be long and I will probably have to swear off the big stuff. In retirement it will probably be mostly 22 Rimfire to 300 Magnum. And I do have 5 30 caliber rifles to feed, so I should be good.

Then my mind wandered to the inevitable question..."do I have enough of a 30 caliber bullet stash to make it to the grave"?

Without taking my hand from the press, I started counting .308 diameter bullets...about 11,000 jacketed.

I also have enough lead to cast up another 50,000, but most of that lead will probably be used for pistol boolits.

If I go through 500 308 bullets per year, and I retire at 65, I need to croak at 87 or I am going to run out of bullets!

I would like to make it at least as long as my dear old dad made it, so it appears I need to buy at least another 2,000 30 cal!!

And this is how the mind works, as it descends into the pit of elder irrationality!
I wish I had 11k bullets total. I’m probably in the 5-6k range.

I wish I had 11k bullets total. I’m probably in the 5-6k range.

You have time, Grasshopper. I have been buying bullets for 45 years...it only stands to reason that I should have accumulated 50,000 by now.

I guess I need another 100,000 bullets so my bullet stash equals my primer stash!

Oh crap, I need another 300 pounds of powder, too!

Tim,
I didn’t realize you were so conservative. Better order some more of those Flat base boolits from you know who on the forklift!

Tim,
I didn’t realize you were so conservative. Better order some more of those Flat base boolits from you know who on the forklift!

Like a good boy, I went to go buy some....and someone has cleaned them out of .458 boolits! :eek:

Good news is when you get older you can't remember how many you have fired, so you may never run out after all...
I counted mine, MCMLVIII...

Put together some test loads for the BVC adventure.

550gr Woodie softs on the right, 480gr Hydros on the left.

I am really looking forward to smacking a buff with that 550 Woodie!

Attachment-1 (1).jpeg

upload_2019-5-15_20-51-47.png

With my heavy caliber already decided I need to turn my attention over to which rifle I take as a pest rifle, my choices are my 7x57CZ550 ,7-08Zastava, 270Weatherby/Winchester and my Mauser in 7Rem mag. I know any one of these loaded with the right load will take any plains game that Namibia has to offer but my plan is to pick the one that will shoot the lightest fastest and most accurate at distance.
The Weatherby/Winchester shoots outstanding groups at 100meters with 130g but tends to open up at 200 so this weeks reloading bench was all about bullet setback and increasing the powder charge. I loaded the 7-08 with 120s and will see what happens tomorrow.So far Iv'e loaded the 7mag but haven't range tested it yet
I will continue the process of elimination until there is a clear winner. Some results for the first time out. The 270W 1st and then the 7x57
IMG_0604.jpg
IMG_0607.jpg

Waiting on my melting pot to show up and a custom Martini Henry mold. I decided to go with a very similar service load I.e. paper patched lead bullet @486 grain with .460 that I can patch up to .468-470. Getting pretty excited. Won’t be long hopefully and I’ll be breathing life back into my 1871 MK II short lever Martini Henry. Once I get it all sorted out all I’ll need is some seriously pissed off Zulu warriors to charge me :LOL:

Waiting on my melting pot to show up and a custom Martini Henry mold. I decided to go with a very similar service load I.e. paper patched lead bullet @486 grain with .460 that I can patch up to .468-470. Getting pretty excited. Won’t be long hopefully and I’ll be breathing life back into my 1871 MK II short lever Martini Henry. Once I get it all sorted out all I’ll need is some seriously pissed off Zulu warriors to charge me :LOL:
I had my Martini shooting very nicely with a 457-450 Lee mould opened up to .460 and then pp to .468 and over 20gn Green Dot proved very nice load Bullet weighed approx 468gn
benched load testing.jpg
Photo0972.jpg

According to that you should put the 270 away and concentrate on the 7x57 which is just as it should be for African PG.
I agree as the 7x57 is an excellent caliber and a African Classic, but my decision will be based on performance

So, I was in the loading room today, fixing a mistake. When you stick a 470 NE case in your die and rip off half the rim, turns out you are in a bind at that point! Standard stuck case puller does not fit. So enter redneck engineering!

E9AA098F-CD74-4D6A-A2CF-4649257CDC27.jpeg

A 7/8” socket fits perfectly over the die threads.
Drilled and tapped a 1/4” hole through the primer pocket, a few washers and a 1/4” bolt and she was out. I think I had a case that wasn’t lubed properly!
Kinda ruined my 470 range time Saturday morning though. @tarbe brought me two back up sets of dies though because he knows I need 3 of everything so I can break one, lose one and maybe complete the task with the third one!

Last edited by a moderator:
So I was in the reloading room yesterday for 5 1/2 hours, loading some 30-06 and 444 Marlin bullets and the wife didn't say a word about it. You see my loading room has a window right above my bench that gives me a perfect view of our garden, so there I sat working away and keeping an eye out for a couple of marauding groundhogs that the evening before tunneled under the fence and wiped out my wife's lettuce patch. It just felt right sitting there with my suppressed .22 locked and loaded, the window open and the curtain raised up just enough to keep a keen lookout for the invaders. And the big old males timing could not have been better, I just finished up the bullets that I wanted to get done and was sitting there wondering what to do next when out of the bushes he came slinking very cautiously toward the garden fence, an objective he never reached. Something very satisfying about taking down a critter that has done you wrong.

So I was in the reloading room yesterday for 5 1/2 hours, loading some 30-06 and 444 Marlin bullets and the wife didn't say a word about it. You see my loading room has a window right above my bench that gives me a perfect view of our garden, so there I sat working away and keeping an eye out for a couple of marauding groundhogs that the evening before tunneled under the fence and wiped out my wife's lettuce patch. It just felt right sitting there with my suppressed .22 locked and loaded, the window open and the curtain raised up just enough to keep a keen lookout for the invaders. And the big old males timing could not have been better, I just finished up the bullets that I wanted to get done and was sitting there wondering what to do next when out of the bushes he came slinking very cautiously toward the garden fence, an objective he never reached. Something very satisfying about taking down a critter that has done you wrong.

Loading rooms aren't just for loading!! :)

Kinda ruined my 470 range time Saturday morning though.

Yeah...so what does he do instead?

He simply shoots my 450 Dakota and manages to show me up. :E Cry::E Crying:

Bastid!

Hi Tim, I would suggest that you find a job. But I am pretty sure you have one. So I am just not able to help you with this problem, even though it is obvious that you are begging AH members for help. I thought you and Cody were pretty tight, but even he is keeping his distance!!!

Hi Tim, I would suggest that you find a job. But I am pretty sure you have one. So I am just not able to help you with this problem, even though it is obvious that you are begging AH members for help. I thought you and Cody were pretty tight, but even he is keeping his distance!!!
You see David, this is a mad genius at work! Preparing in his mind for the day when he has no job and must conserve reloading components. The thought process is solid, I couldn’t imagine going into retirement and not having enough 22 ammo to make it through my golden years. That’s why they are called golden bullets! Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg