Snap Caps for Doubles

Surgeon1

AH fanatic
Joined
Sep 2, 2019
Messages
771
Reaction score
1,766
My snap caps are just worn out. Can't seem to find snapcaps for 500 Nitro base (470NE, 500NE, 450 3-1/4, etc) Also need for 450-400 and 375 Flange (9.3x74).
I would appreciate any help.
 
i have been looking for 470 NE snap caps as well. just ordered two of the Lothar Walther. thanks for the info.
 
fakebullets.com has a bunch of options, just have to wade thru it to find what you want.
 
I ordered my 500 snap caps from African sporting creations recently.
 
If you got some friends with a reloading press just have them make you a dummy round with some hot glue in the primer pocket
 
If you got some friends with a reloading press just have them make you a dummy round with some hot glue in the primer pocket
You can do it, but it's inferior to the spring loaded primers on the Lothar Walther ones.

FYI there is a reason why doubles used to come with a piece of hardwood or horn to drop the firing pins against, I've used a piece of horn before the the dents left are substantial; that hot glue or rubber will not last long or offer the same cushion as the true spring loaded snap caps.
 
I ordered my 500 snap caps from African sporting creations recently.
Their the exact same snap caps as Lothar Walther.... Just marked up 160% and sold in pairs
($26.40 vs $69.00)

The Lothar website has a very poor picture, but I assure you they are the same.
 
Hi everyone,
I use snap caps for all my double rifles, double rifle drillings and combination guns.
It’s important to use ones without anodizing. In my Merkle, I had some with red anodizing, and after a short time, superficial corrosion developed in the chamber. After I polished the snap caps until they were bare metal, the problem never occurred again.
Since then, I’ve only used solid aluminum snap caps without any coating.(y)

It's always a pitty to polish out the chambers... :rolleyes:

Hope this helps a bit.
Greetings from Bavaria.
 
I've got mine form Trader Keith.
 
Trader Keith any contact info? They used to have a web site
 
My snap caps are just worn out. Can't seem to find snapcaps for 500 Nitro base (470NE, 500NE, 450 3-1/4, etc) Also need for 450-400 and 375 Flange (9.3x74).
I would appreciate any help.
New England Custom Guns. Even if you do not see them on their website give the owners a call. They likely have what you need. Excellent company.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,301
Messages
1,571,057
Members
169,096
Latest member
EliseCream
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
 
Top