Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
CHASA, BASA, NHSA
Hunted
RSA, Zimbabwe, Botswana and Namibia
This is not meant as a scientific research paper or article on sights, just my personal experiences with various sights and would love to hear the rests opinion if they experienced the same.

To give context and not to rile up a lot of people, this is for general hunting within 100-150 yards, big game cartridges predominately, and mostly off hand or quicker shots off sticks - for purposes hereof I did not consider or are referring to longer distance hunting (longer than say 150m), precision shooting etc.

I have experiences all sights on big game cartridges, open sight shooting, scoped rifles and most recently I ventured into red-dots. What I have found for myself, is that out of open sight, scoped and red-dot, open sight shooting is my least preferred type. Why is this an issue for me, because, right or wrong, open sights are or have been the preferred and recommended way of shooting big game cartridges. There is always the comment, leave the scoped rifle, take the open sight. But in my experience it is the opposite. For me, open sight shooting is the most difficult, yet rewarding and best practice one give oneself. Now the question will be, most PH's use open sights etc. True, but I have noted in sport shooting and on numerous videos a movement towards red-dots.

This is my reason as to why I did - again feel free to feel otherwise, this is just my experience and I will learn from the rest.

Open sights the way I have been taught, is that you have to concentrate on the front sight. The saying is always front sight front sight front sight. That is the golden rule. How do I shoot open sight? Well I placed my front bead over the target area, then inadvertently I normally checked the target area, this all being done within milliseconds. Simultaneously with this I had to keep track of the rear sight as well, which depending on how and what rear sight you have is another kettle of fish. The point is, you have 3 stuff to focus on. I found I started to shoot slower due to this inadvertent action, accuracy was still there and sometimes I impressed myself how accurate one can shoot open sights, however I believe I would shoot more accurate with a low magnification scope than open sights. Interestingly, I found the less the magnification, the better the shooting. Why, at say 4x I noticed how much the cross hairs are moving all over the target, whereas with very low magnification this was not the case. It was point and shoot.

Regarding versatility and ease of use, a low magnification scoped rifle for me is better. Then entered the red-dot. This was the same as the low magnification scope. I had a easy acquisition of the dot on the target. It doesn't magnify so I cannot see my every sway and movement and it is easy to use. I also found, just as with the open sights, accuracy is not a problem. I took an impala this past weekend comfortably at 154 meters with a 2 MOA dot in a 458. I did not once think it would be a problem.

But now comes the interesting part - Once I started shooting open sights, my shooting in general improved drastically. My opinion is that the action of concentrating on the 3 things, front sight, rear sight and target makes shooting with a scope and red-dot, a 2 action process just so much easier. Open sight shooting requires practice and you get more proficient, which then helped the rest of my shooting. I actually believe, open sight shooting can be more beneficial to precision shooting than most would believe. The action of aligning the front bead perfectly with the rear sight, can be challenging, specifically on .22 over distance.

I do believe all people should regularly shoot open sight and even have a dedicated open sight rifle, not just because for me it help my shooting in general, but simply because a scope or red-dot can be damaged and you would then need open sight skills, but also due to nostalgy and the fact that a traditional open sight safari rifle just remains the epitome of shooting, for me that is...

I’m a fan of open sights if I know I can get close… I’ve only owned two rifles with scopes bigger than 1.5-5x20. Whenever possible I prefer to get as close to game as possible I feel It enhances my experience greatly. I know that’s not always possible but I try.

There's another option: a peep rear sight, commonly mounted on the tang. Such a Lyman sight was if not common, at least frequently-employed on big-game rifles before hunting scopes came of age.

I find it a lot easier to use with my aging eyes, while not detracting at all from the looks of a classic rifle in a way a scope or red dot would do. The single-shot H&H in my avatar was ordered with one back in 1925 but came to me without it; I was recently able to track down the original model (Lyman for Stevens Favorite) and replace it using the existing screw-holes on the tang.

IMG_7015.jpeg

For dangerous game when you can get close, open sights is the classic and probably the safest way to go.
However most of us have deteriorated eye sight as we get older and it becomes very difficult.
I don't want to shoot a dark skinned animal like buffalo with open sights under low light conditions when there's brush between me and the animal and I can only see certain body parts.
Elephant maybe?
Even with prescription shooting glasses which are generally made to focus on the distance for clay shooting it's not easy.
That's why I have a trijicon 1moa on my Merkel Safari double and it works for me.

For dangerous game when you can get close, open sights is the classic and probably the safest way to go.
However most of us have deteriorated eye sight as we get older and it becomes very difficult.
I don't want to shoot a dark skinned animal like buffalo with open sights under low light conditions when there's brush between me and the animal and I can only see certain body parts.
Elephant maybe?
Even with prescription shooting glasses which are generally made to focus on the distance for clay shooting it's not easy.
That's why I have a trijicon 1moa on my Merkel Safari double and it works for me.
Serious question.

If your first sentence is true, why does every elite military unit know to man use red dot or lpvo on close quarters fighting with the most dangerous game on the planet?

I believe it is traditional and can be fun, but I do not believe in any way/shape/form that is the “best” way to shoot dangerous game at close quarters.

Serious question.

If your first sentence is true, why does every elite military unit know to man use red dot or lpvo on close quarters fighting with the most dangerous game on the planet?

I believe it is traditional and can be fun, but I do not believe in any way/shape/form that is the “best” way to shoot dangerous game at close quarters.
Who said anything about "best"? Read my first sentence again.
Best and safe are two different things and not always mutually applicable.
As far as elite military units, they use different style weapons and most of their work is done with NVG's. It's really irrelevant to this conversation.

My bad. Safest still meets criteria of what I said though. Dangerous game has a low chance of charging. Bad guys have 100 percent chance of firing back. Military always uses red dot because it is proven to improve target recognition. And, their semi auto 308’s are hard as hell on scopes. Yet they use them every time without “fear” of them not working in fight for their life.

I prefer both scope and iron sights. That's why both my plains game and dangerous game rifles are equipped with quick detach rings, rails, and express iron sights. Rails are not very nostalgic but they have superior stability and failsafe alignment which is important if the scope is removable. I believe someone makes QD red dot that attaches to rails so that might be an option to explore. New England Custom Gun makes a QD peep sight that I seriously thought about acquiring but would have to carry it in my backpack and dig it out as needed. I don't always hunt with my backpack (in Africa almost never). Iron sights are permanently attached.
16915338836971861004684596064473.jpg

20230718_174300.jpg

in the case.jpg

I'm not sure I see the utility in practicing a lot with iron sights if one intends to primarily shoot with something else.

I have done very well shooting running animals with a scope on 3x or 4x. Had a bit of trouble this year missing a running gemsbuck very close with scope on 6x. But he was a surprise visitor while I was stalking a herd of wildebeest, hence the scope power cranked up. Turns out I had mortaly wounded him with first shot as he busted. When he finally stopped I blew his heart out.

PS: The 404 Jeffery is not a stainless gun. It's now off to my guy in New Brunswick for bluing. Only finished the build two weeks before returning to Africa.

I think every one of us is more accurate with a scope for aimed shots. Next for accurate quicker shots, i would say red dot. Open sights need a lot of practise but are probably as good as a red dot if you master them. But of you talk of PHs, the ones i know use red dots or open because they put in insurance shots and very seldom shot stopping. So they shoot more of a snap shot type of shooting rather than aimed shots. And open sights are the most robust- you carry the rifle for years as a ph and you want sights that always work. So as a client, pick the sight that suits your hunt and dont worry too much about the PHs sight- he has different criteria.

I would add that anyone who wants to rely on iron sights for close fast shooting should 1) make sure the gun fits them PERFECTLY 2) practice mounting, swinging, and dry firing and 3) spend some time shooting skeet. How do you know when the gun fits perfectly? Close your eyes, mount the gun quickly, open your shooting eye, and the bead should be EXACTLY in the rear sight notch/ring. Not close, but exactly. A gunsmith can help modify the gun to make it fit precisely. If you're shooting some expensive collectable and don't want to change the gun's structure, then consider switching to red dot or scope. Time at the skeet range will teach you to keep your eyes on the target, not the gun. Dry fire mount-swing-shoot practice will help with that too.

I prefer a low power scope for close and fast shooting. My guns have iron sights as backup and for bad weather and/or rough country situations. Like this day last year.
20221127_125555.jpg

I would add that anyone who wants to rely on iron sights for close fast shooting should 1) make sure the gun fits them PERFECTLY 2) practice mounting, swinging, and dry firing and 3) spend some time shooting skeet. How do you know when the gun fits perfectly? Close your eyes, mount the gun quickly, open your shooting eye, and the bead should be EXACTLY in the rear sight notch/ring. Not close, but exactly. A gunsmith can help modify the gun to make it fit precisely. If you're shooting some expensive collectable and don't want to change the gun's structure, then consider switching to red dot or scope. Time at the skeet range will teach you to keep your eyes on the target, not the gun. Dry fire mount-swing-shoot practice will help with that too.

I prefer a low power scope for close and fast shooting. My guns have iron sights as backup and for bad weather and/or rough country situations. Like this day last year.View attachment 554498
Did you put those holes in that stump? Haha

I use a scope, max 8X, that has nice red dot in the midle of the crosshairs.

Best of both worlds.

I have used iron sights for nearly 50 years, but that was for target shooting.

Target acquisition is much faster with a red dot, and just perfect for low light hunting.

Being a still hunter most of my shots are what could be called jump shots. For this open sight Excell as the ranges are usually closer to 30 yards than a 100. I have used low power variable scopes and had good succes but actually prefer peep or open sights. But O radio Hunter is correct your gun must fit you perfectly.

I remember two clean misses on running boar, at 30 meters with scope (low power, wide angle).
I believe iron sights are faster.

I have limited experience with red dot, only on pistol, and I am still not used to it, to make meaningful comment

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GordonBees

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.