Sighting in disaster

Good to hear....no room to adjust if it wasn't perfect.

Right. Now I just shovel a couple rounds full of powder and wait for weekend.hope to bring back good news.
I'm in the process of rounding up a torque wrench to tighten screws and crossing my fingers

This is a four shot group fired at 100 yards if you look closely at top hole it is two. The Talley mounts are doing good so far only had 5 rounds loaded first was 8" high off target. I think the Mossberg likes GS Custom 200gr HV.
Shawn
image.jpg

Looks like you're on to something good Shawn.

I've been very curious about mossburgs entry into the DG rifle market.. I wasn't sure if they would do it "right".. But everything I've heard about this rifle so far has been very positive... It's supposedly a really good value for the money... Ive read a couple of online reviews and watched a couple of YouTube videos.. Everyone that owns one that is talking about it seems to speak very highly of it... I'm hoping there will be one I can put my hands on at DSC this year to check out...

Mine is a model that is second from the bottom as far as price plastic stock silver finish I did add some weight now it weighs 9# +/- and I replaced butt pad the factory one is hollow rubber with plastic rib in center which 375 will point out to you quickly. I know some don't like it for its manufacturer but it shoots well functions well and didn't break the bank.
One other problem is stock makes it hard for me to get down on open sights but is of course stock fit for me.

I'm glad to read that you are pleased with the Mossberg. a few years back the WA St game dept started buying Mossberg non-firing rifle & shotguns for the hunter education instructors to demonstrate in the classes. These guns had several problems, I suppose because they were built as non-firing. It's good that they do better with guns that are intended to shoot and that yours is doing well. :<)

The trigger has a small amount of creap in it that will go unnoticed hunting but by accident I found that when at the bench you can squeeze it with safe on then take safe off when you are ready to shoot and no creap. It's not a classic but it is more than capable.

I use Warne QD on most of my hunting rifles, especially Brnos/CZs but bought the same for Sakos and Rugers. Great rings. Always worked....except on my .458 Lott. Can't keep the heavy Trijicon 1-4 from moving in the rings. I mean I could if I was really set on it, I could lock tight the scope or pad it in the rings a bit, etc. But it was simpler to keep the big rifle just open-sight only. My .375 destroyed a cheap Vortex 4-12x44 or something. I thought it was moving in the rings but it was actually knocking the reticle around. :D Learned long time ago that the "cheap" stuff is not worth it, yet every now and then I try to see if "cheap" has improved. It has not. I like the looks of the properly built items better anyway. I think one can still tell quality by looks and feel. At least some if not most of the time.

I use the Talley steel QRs on my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery. I've never have had them move with over 400 full power loads (570g at 2300 fps) except when I take them off :)

Now that I know what will fit my Mossberg Patriot I will in the future be looking at steel QD rings but when I started the only ones listed for my rifle light weights now I know it cross matches with Rem 700 things are more open now.

Shawn

Now that I know what will fit my Mossberg Patriot I will in the future be looking at steel QD rings but when I started the only ones listed for my rifle light weights now I know it cross matches with Rem 700 things are more open now.

Shawn

Shawn,

Be sure you get both Talley rings AND bases. I got mine directly from the factory and the guy told me that Talley rings will only work with Talley bases. He strongly recommended steel for 375s and bigger. Hope this helps.

. I know some don't like it for its manufacturer but it shoots well functions well and didn't break the bank.
A guy shouldn't mind what others think as long as you are happy with it. My second hunting rifle, the first being a Weatherby Mark V that wouldn't shoot, was a Savage Model 110e 7 RM.
It was ugly as home made soap. Had this hideous barrel nut that looked like it was an afterthought on the way home from the bar at 2am. My friends all had m700's, M70's or Rugers 77. I felt kinda like taking the ugly girl to the prom, but that rifle shot so dang good, I shot everything from Sierra 100 gr HP to 175 gr Speer Grand Slams through it depending what I was after. That rifle served me well and took Elk when my buddies were left skunked. I still have that rifle and anymore, I could really give a damn if anyone sees me with it. Sometimes the ugly girl has a heart of gold.
Cheers,
Cody

A love for things different is what brought me to 375 Ruger cartridge and the fact that I gave my favorite gun to my son for a graduation present and his going off for higher education is what moved me to the Mossberg Patriot I figured could get a replacement in a cartridge that intrigues me in a rifle that was cheap.
After a few hiccups that were my fault I think I have it together still under $600
For the whole rig.
This rifle is what the Dr ordered for my usual hunting driving deer and bear in thick cover where bangs and dings are expected. The fact that it is able to hit where I aim is good to.
I joined AH because that is where I'm able to get the most information on the cartridge and I must say you guys and gals have a lot to share.
Africa is a dream and if that dream would come true I do have a 98 action waiting to be barreled for that purpose.
Weather has been terrible this area so I have not worked with it this weekend but I hope to shoot tomorrow.

Shawn

I made it out to shoot and even in a bad cross wind had great success one fouling shot then a 3 shot that would be covered by a dime.
Would post a pic but that cross wind had some gusts and one of them took the target to parts unknown.

When I put money on this gun then set out to outfit my reloading bench for it I started looking at this website for information I read more than one post about how shooting bigger rifles was addicting.
Well I haven't hunted a single minute with the 375 yet now I'm thinking what would a 416 be like?
The 375 recoil is almost unnoticeable in less than 100 rounds.

Come to the dark side.....maybe a nice little Ruger #1 to wet your wistle in 416, 450/400 or 458? A guy kinda really needs a couple +40's in your rifle battery. If you hurry and get one bought the sooner you can start looking for a rifle in the .500's! With the circus taking elephant acts out of their shows, selling your wife on the need has indeed got more difficult, but if there is a zoo near you, ya can always use the What is scenario. Wouldn't you sleep better knowing if an elephant all hopped up on peanuts came charging? You will be in a new 416 before you know it my friend.
Cheers,
Cody

I jumped the gun a little I told her that elephant was within range of 375 to start (my bad) should have used neighbors angus bull for 375 then elephant for the 416 now I'm going to have to get creative.
But I see that most here are"enablers" so I'm sure I will receive some good advice.
This has been a fun project so far and I enjoy hearing about overkill.

Shawn

If I'm not mistaken, I'm sure some place has a law that elephant cartridges HAVE to be .40+ caliber. That ought to be a starting point for justification of a nice .416.

Just trying to help.

This is true but I think it may be out or the range of my "low budget" project but a new year is coming soon and that could start a new budget if the government can over spend so can.

If my wife finds out I may become a political prisoner.

Shawn
She believes in the right to bare arms just questions how many I can bare at once.

If I'm not mistaken, I'm sure some place has a law that elephant cartridges HAVE to be .40+ caliber. That ought to be a starting point for justification of a nice .416.

Just trying to help.
And if not, what is the chance that you will get fact checked? A little democrat imbellishment is ok when it comes to firearms acquisitions, it's not like you are making things up so you can spend time with another woman. Although when you walk in the house with your 6th or 7th 375, you might have to lie about seeing another woman to make her forget about the new rifle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg