Shoulder Mounts vs. Wall Pedestal Mounts

Hemingway's Karl

AH member
Reaction score
Articles
Hunted
South Africa
My beloved trophies are about to ship out from South Africa and get into the hands of my taxidermist (Conroe Taxidermy). However, I am facing a conundrum that I would love to receive feedback on from those who are quite knowledgeable on the subject matter (i.e., this forum). I am trying to determine whether to utilize a shoulder mount or a wall pedestal mount for four different animals (i.e., a nyala, a bushbuck, a kudu, and a sable). I currently have no taxidermy in my house and these trophies will be populating my home office.

Based on my understanding, it seems that a conventional shoulder mount usually depicts the animal extending straight out of the wall, with or without a slight curvature of its neck. In contrast, the wall pedestal mount will exhibit a broader shoulder appeal of the animal, with the animal's head turning into the room. Is my characterization of these two mounts correct or are there other notable distinctions between a shoulder mount and wall pedestal mount?

Furthermore, does anyone have any personal recommendations on what you would do for the aforementioned animals? This is based on the assumption that I have enough space for either type of mount (although the kudu may have to be a wall pedestal mount due to depth).

I also have an eland (Euro mount) and a buffalo. The buffalo is getting his own pedestal.

Thanks for any sage advice that anyone can provide!

How tall is your ceiling? IMO. A kudu needs needs a good bit taller than average 9' or so of most rooms.

Difficult to give you any advice as it depends on house layout, number of mounts you have /will have....

In my case, all euro mounts due to lack of space/number of trophies.

I’d recommend flipping through this thread for ideas

All of this of course is personal taste,
I feel that animals with really unique hides (color, hair, etc.) benefit greatly from pedestal mounting.
Nyala, Bushbuck, even Blue Wildebeest hides get better the further back you go.
Also Nyala really should be pedestal because of the size contrast once you get back to the shoulder and rib (delicate head and neck, then big shoulders). I've seen Nyala shoulder mounts were they look the same size as Impala or Blesbok, then you see a wall pedestal that shows how much bigger they are in the body. Eland are similar.
Ideally, Bushbuck and Nyala are the two animals I would love to Full Body mount, but probably won't have the $.
My eland pedestal is on its way from Namibia right now and the photos show just what I was hoping- massive size that just isn't always there in a shoulder mount.
I pedestal mounted my Blue Wildebeest because I wanted all of that blue/black striping I could get.
IMG_4027[1].JPG
IMG_4026[1].JPG

However you go, it's a fun process. Enjoy

All of this of course is personal taste,
I feel that animals with really unique hides (color, hair, etc.) benefit greatly from pedestal mounting.
Nyala, Bushbuck, even Blue Wildebeest hides get better the further back you go.
Also Nyala really should be pedestal because of the size contrast once you get back to the shoulder and rib (delicate head and neck, then big shoulders). I've seen Nyala shoulder mounts were they look the same size as Impala or Blesbok, then you see a wall pedestal that shows how much bigger they are in the body. Eland are similar.
Ideally, Bushbuck and Nyala are the two animals I would love to Full Body mount, but probably won't have the $.
My eland pedestal is on its way from Namibia right now and the photos show just what I was hoping- massive size that just isn't always there in a shoulder mount.
I pedestal mounted my Blue Wildebeest because I wanted all of that blue/black striping I could get.
View attachment 503048View attachment 503049

However you go, it's a fun process. Enjoy
You have convinced me to do the wall pedestal on my nyala. You make some excellent points in your breakdown and I greatly appreciate the photos!

All those animals would look great with wall pedestals especially the kudu and nyala as you might pick up some stripes in the mount with the extended shoulders of these forms. Wall peds will give more of that nice black, glossy coat of a sable also. I lOVE wall pedestals !

1669922830524.png
1669922860388.png
1669923116239.png
1669923116764.jpeg
1669924292252.png
1669922830524.png
1669922830524.png
1669924292252.png

I would shoulder mount all except the Sable. The Sable would be a floor pedestalmount. I might consider a wall pedestal, IF you can pick up enough of the strips on the Kudu and the Nyala, other wise shoulder mount.

It gives a variety to your trophies, I prefer wall pedestal for animals with extra colorful coats, bushbuck, nyala and kudu. To me it breaks up the cookie cutter look of mounts in a trophy room. Here is a wall in my memories room with a mix of wall pedestal, basic shoulder and pedestal mounts.

8F7EDBD6-C587-4BA2-86D1-288C048F17BF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Given I have
You have convinced me to do the wall pedestal on my nyala. You make some excellent points in your breakdown and I greatly appreciate the photos!
done both without question go with the pedistal wall mount nit even close decision

Personal taste. I personally hate and would never in a million years have a pedestal style mount due to the curved back. But you may like that

To me the deciding factor of having a shoulder mount versus a wall pedestal mount would be distinctive body or neck markings or coloration. Example: a Nyala has a mane, lines on the body and yellowish legs. A pedestal mount that would show all of those off is what I’d choose.

My beloved trophies are about to ship out from South Africa and get into the hands of my taxidermist (Conroe Taxidermy). However, I am facing a conundrum that I would love to receive feedback on from those who are quite knowledgeable on the subject matter (i.e., this forum). I am trying to determine whether to utilize a shoulder mount or a wall pedestal mount for four different animals (i.e., a nyala, a bushbuck, a kudu, and a sable). I currently have no taxidermy in my house and these trophies will be populating my home office.

Based on my understanding, it seems that a conventional shoulder mount usually depicts the animal extending straight out of the wall, with or without a slight curvature of its neck. In contrast, the wall pedestal mount will exhibit a broader shoulder appeal of the animal, with the animal's head turning into the room. Is my characterization of these two mounts correct or are there other notable distinctions between a shoulder mount and wall pedestal mount?

Furthermore, does anyone have any personal recommendations on what you would do for the aforementioned animals? This is based on the assumption that I have enough space for either type of mount (although the kudu may have to be a wall pedestal mount due to depth).

I also have an eland (Euro mount) and a buffalo. The buffalo is getting his own pedestal.

See my post “Trophy Room - 12x18 feet” post to see what a large Cape buffalo, Nyala, Impala look like all wall pedistal versus the Kudu and Black Wildebeest regular mounts which is why I will now always do wall pedistal mounts

On the animals you've taken, hands down and no questions about it, wall pedestal.

Took me a few tries to find the thread mentioned by @Rare Breed. Worth a look for sure.

If I am fortunate and get a Cape Buffalo in June, I'll have to consider a pedestal mount. I've been considering a Euro/Tabletop mount as well for the buffalo. Life-Form has a good example on their site. Very happy with their work from last year, btw.

We move to new home in January and new reloading/trophy room is 16.5' x 11.5'. Mr Kudu gets a spot in family room (raised ceiling). Most others will share the reloading room so space will be limited.

Thread 'New Trophy Room Only 12 X 18 Feet' https://www.africahunting.com/threads/new-trophy-room-only-12-x-18-feet.68675/

Floor pedestals are nice because you can admire them up close. Just need a little bit of floor space for it. Kinda like having a shelf in a corner or a chair, etc. I have an Oryx pedestal that’s nice but that definitely needs more room than a deer. I also like wall pedestals more than just a regular shoulder mount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross