Shoulder Mounts vs. Wall Pedestal Mounts

My beloved trophies are about to ship out from South Africa and get into the hands of my taxidermist (Conroe Taxidermy). However, I am facing a conundrum that I would love to receive feedback on from those who are quite knowledgeable on the subject matter (i.e., this forum). I am trying to determine whether to utilize a shoulder mount or a wall pedestal mount for four different animals (i.e., a nyala, a bushbuck, a kudu, and a sable). I currently have no taxidermy in my house and these trophies will be populating my home office.

Based on my understanding, it seems that a conventional shoulder mount usually depicts the animal extending straight out of the wall, with or without a slight curvature of its neck. In contrast, the wall pedestal mount will exhibit a broader shoulder appeal of the animal, with the animal's head turning into the room. Is my characterization of these two mounts correct or are there other notable distinctions between a shoulder mount and wall pedestal mount?

Furthermore, does anyone have any personal recommendations on what you would do for the aforementioned animals? This is based on the assumption that I have enough space for either type of mount (although the kudu may have to be a wall pedestal mount due to depth).

I also have an eland (Euro mount) and a buffalo. The buffalo is getting his own pedestal.

Thanks for any sage advice that anyone can provide!
Id say do two of each to mix it up. Nyala on a wall pedestal is nice.

Took me a few tries to find the thread mentioned by @Rare Breed. Worth a look for sure.

If I am fortunate and get a Cape Buffalo in June, I'll have to consider a pedestal mount. I've been considering a Euro/Tabletop mount as well for the buffalo. Life-Form has a good example on their site. Very happy with their work from last year, btw.

We move to new home in January and new reloading/trophy room is 16.5' x 11.5'. Mr Kudu gets a spot in family room (raised ceiling). Most others will share the reloading room so space will be limited.

Thread 'New Trophy Room Only 12 X 18 Feet' https://www.africahunting.com/threads/new-trophy-room-only-12-x-18-feet.68675/
I'm definitely putting my cape buffalo on a pedestal so my short stature can still enjoy the awesomeness of the buffalo's horns, especially the boss. IMO, there's so much beauty in the boss that would be missed if the animal is too high up.

I agree with @Hunt anything that wall pedestal mounts are a fresh look from all of the years of straight shoulder mounts.

I have mostly shoulder mounts, but in recent years I have added both wall and floor pedestal mounts along with a number of full mounts.

I have many of both . I find the big scallop on some wall pedestals not so desirable. On the positive side they add variety . I would insist they use extra hide from your animal to do the visible area in the rear. Note zebra in picture
If I could , I would bring all my animal heads down low for max impact and easy cleaning .

Last edited by a moderator:
Here you can see that wall pedestal zebra .Note the use of real hide in the scallop rather than black cloth or something else.
Image1676896174.688680.jpg

Variety is the spice of life!

For the most part, I don't like wall pedestal mounts. That it my preference and may be only my preference.

However, that may be what I do if I ever get a mountain goat.

I was also talked into it by my taxidermist for a baboon.

I first wanted a full body mount, but I don't really have the room and ultimately didn't want to spend the money.

I wanted something like this:

1677016674241.png

He told me that that form was either customized, or made by the taxidermist and would be pretty expensive.

I think a wall pedestal on a form like this will work:

1677017703527.png

We will see...

That form should work, out of my African mounts my baboon is the only one I’m not real fond of. The pose is great but he is missing his nasal ridges. I also wish I could get his hair to stand up.

I have many of both . I find the big scallop on some wall pedestals not so desirable. On the positive side they add variety . I would insist they use extra hide from your animal to do the visible area in the rear. Note zebra in picture
If I could , I would bring all my animal heads down low for max impact and easy cleaning .
I‘m not real fond of the big scallop backs on some wall pedestals either while a big fan of the more subtle curves. My latest bushbuck had the dramatic curve and I didn’t like the way he fit flat on the wall so I got a Full Range swivel system to get him away from the wall and change the angle. To me it made a world of difference.

AE1B242E-5A54-43DB-9C7F-A185B66AE7BD.jpeg
D6017ED3-BDB8-4FCA-9763-FF6E68755B74.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I like a sneak mount on nyala ,kudu and bushbuck. IMO it gives them a very natural look if done well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!