Rare Breed

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I love reading about small trophy rooms. Here is mine. I just got back my animals from my second Safari and got them up. My office/trophy room is only 12 X 18 feet yet I got 7 animals including a large Cape Buffalo plus my Zebra rug in complete with my pictures. It can be done and yes I can still work in my office and notice the reloading area where I do all of mine without any problem. I place my powder loading on my office desk otherwise I just use the small corner table you see. All my reloading supplies are in the chest you see. My gun safe sits directly behind me. It all works and gives me great joy!

Buffalo.jpg
Trophy Room 1.jpg
Trophy Room 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done, with some planning on placement it is amazing one how much you can put in a space and I am sure it just makes you smile every time you walk in the room.

Very nice looking office!

Nicely done, with some planning on placement it is amazing one how much you can put in a space and I am sure it just makes you smile every time you walk in the room.
Absolutely! Kindred spirits!

I love reading about small trophy rooms. Here is mine. I just got back my animals from my second Safari and got them up. My office/trophy room is only 12 X 18 feet yet I got 7 animals including a large Cape Buffalo plus my Zebra rug in complete with my pictures. It can be done and yes I can still work in my office and notice the reloading area where I do all of mine without any problem. I place my powder loading on my office desk otherwise I just use the small corner table you see. All my reloading supplies are in the chest you see. My gun safe sits directly behind me. It all works and gives me great joy!

View attachment 462694View attachment 462695View attachment 462696
I also want to highlight using wall pedistal mounts in a small space. Look at my buff for example. Without the wall pedistal mount he would not have fit

I love it! Did you have to reinforced the wall to hang your buffalo?

Thank you for this share. Well done sir! Outstanding.

One can argue with such a trophy room, that its value commands a higher per sq ft price! 'Looks similar to a friend's law office! Where do you find melanistic impala??

One can argue with such a trophy room, that its value commands a higher per sq ft price! 'Looks similar to a friend's law office! Where do you find melanistic impala??
I’ve seen “black“ impala in the eastern cape and the Limpopo provinces, when up close they are really dark brown. Beautiful animals but not my cup of tea.

Same. I've never seen 'em in the Limpopo. Knew it was some sort of RSA flavor. My idea of a copper springbok is any one that's downed with a TTSX or GMX. But it looks so damn good on a gray wall! lol Good new inquiry post: Do you appreciate hunting of GMO? lol

@C.W. Richter ... The place I hunted in RSA had black impala. The first I saw we spooked out of the edge vegetation of a very brushy draw we were walking looking for buffalo. I briefly considered asking my PH about it... it was pretty. We saw several others over the coming days; I have since backed off my desire to harvest one, but I don't think they are altogether uncommon.

@C.W. Richter ... The place I hunted in RSA had black impala. The first I saw we spooked out of the edge vegetation of a very brushy draw we were walking looking for buffalo. I briefly considered asking my PH about it... it was pretty. We saw several others over the coming days; I have since backed off my desire to harvest one, but I don't think they are altogether uncommon.
Perhaps the buffalo were getting a bit too "randy" with the impala?? 'am only familiar with the black-faced Impala. 'have come across some real beauties. One in the BVC looked like a giant E. Impala!

'Saw a (salt-covered) White Elephant with (stained) Black tusks in Etosha NP. That was a real trophy!! And, it still goes with that color scheme. It's still there as they frown upon guns in that vicinity.

Lol! Agree! Will use that one on my wife

Same. I've never seen 'em in the Limpopo. Knew it was some sort of RSA flavor. My idea of a copper springbok is any one that's downed with a TTSX or GMX. But it looks so damn good on a gray wall! lol Good new inquiry post: Do you appreciate hunting of GMO? lol
I got him in Limpopo with TSALA. Saw him fighting then running off a brown Impala male showing his dominance at a water hole and just had to have him

No. The key was calling my local taxidermist and asking for the best wall bracket for wall pedistal mounts. They come in small and large size. Find a stud and you are all set. No reinforcement beyond that needed
I love it! Did you have to reinforced the wall to hang your bu

The way the mounts are designed (the angle w/ rubber bumpers,) physics itself, etc. the force is on the screw (lagbolt, big drywall screws, etc.) which has a shear modulus strength much higher than the mount weight, and the bulk of the mass is pulling straight down (on a vertical board which helps hold your house up, strung together with others, plus additional support by wallboard. Due to the bumpers, some of the weight is distributed across the surface area of the back of the mount. So long as you review the weight rating of the screw/bolt you use (most use a lagbolt for that duty)-meaning the weight it can handle based upon its installation depth and number of threads into the wood, you'll have no problemos. My 1/2 mount Aoudad is heavier than anything else hanging around (buffalo, elk,) and with a 3/8" lag bolt, never an issue. You could get away with less...In an active fault zone, you may wish to consider alternative hanging procedures! We had a small earthquake here in 2010. Luckily it ripped the weakest point (the drywall between 2 studs holding a sheep and a goat!) LOL left it there as a trophy (as my freaked out son was home at the time. He thought someone was trying to knock down the house.) Drywall screws alone range from 90-180 lb strength, but that's cutting it for a big mount. The wall structure can hold much more. If I were designing a trophy/gun room from scratch, it'd be all steel frame construction, both for strength and security.

Last edited:
@Rare Breed - don’t know how I missed it, but awesome looking room. The buff pedestal is a cool change up. (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SheritaFow

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you