Short range/ammunition advice

At the short ranges you shoot, get a steady rest and use neck shots. No wasted meat.
Also if your gun will shoot them well, Remington CoreLokt works well for me.
The Nosler Partition is a grand bullet for North America and up to the larger Africa antelope. I think the bashing is only due to the fact that we have so much financial investment in African animals that we just want the best available bullets for a given purpose. When you pay $1500 for an animal, what does another couple of dollars matter if you might have to take a rear racking shot?
JMO and thoughts on it.

Great advice.

Also if your gun will shoot them well, Remington CoreLokt works well for me.

I am admittedly a huge fan of barnes TTSX and TSX.. and use them almost exclusively now (pretty easy to do since I reload these days)..

but.. that said.. when I was living in TN where most of my shots were between 10-50 yards and a long shot would have been anything from 50-150 yards, I wasnt reloading, and I was primarily hunting whitetail.. truth be told, Rem CoreLokt was all I ever needed.. and practically all I ever used in any of my "deer" rifles (30-30, 308, 270, etc..)

I never once found myself in a position where I needed more accuracy, more penetration, more expansion, etc.. than a good ole green box of wal-mart ammo could provide me..

Federal Fusion 150 will expand nicely. It will not lose the jacket due to the bonding.
It will lose 15-30% of it's weight as pieces of the mushroom abraid off. If shot through both shoulders you will likely find it expanded to close to 3x original size under the skin on the far side. If shot behind the shoulders you will get full penetration and exit wound will be palm sized.

Partitions front core is dead soft and expands very easily. In a .270 at close range most likely what will happen is the front will expand violently, fragment and shear off. The lungs will look like a bomb has went off in them. The back half will punch all the way through exiting behaving much like a wadcutter. Exit wound will likely be similar in size to entrance wound.

This may be contrary to the advice you've received here but I grew up in Maine and the terrain is very similar. My contrary 2 cents--if you shoot under 100 yards in thicker stuff, stick with a good old fashion 12 guage slug. With the new breed of slugs and sabots I don't think you can go wrong. They are deadly to 100 yards plus and group as well as a lot of rifles.

I will not shoot through brush at any animals.

One, the bullet can and will deflect possibly just woundings and there might be people down range that you can't see.

Wait for a clear shot.

Von S. Always a clear shot. I didn't intend to imply that a slug was a brushcutter. I meant in woodland your line of sight can be quite short. Sorry for the confusion.

Ok Boomer,

Many people do shoot directly into bush "in hopes" that something will fall over dead and that animal dies much later.

If someone is a good shot and can thread the needle and make a neck shot more power to them. I aggree with that shot 100%.

If people really don't plan on shooting through brush why are " brush guns" all big caliber, heavy, slow moving slugs known as Brush Buster's?

Von S. That, Sir, is the $64 question. I haven't yet been able to figure it out or where it came from. Maybe someone was trying to promote heavy lead or something.

If people really don't plan on shooting through brush why are " brush guns" all big caliber, heavy, slow moving slugs known as Brush Buster's?

I suspect it goes way back and the theory is a blunt tipped bullet would hit the limb "squarer" and deflect less. Also a heavy bullet would have more mass and therefore be harder to deflect.

Actual testing has shown the higher the velocity the less the deflection and mass and bullet shape having very little effect.

You are correct 2l8.

2l8,
That makes sense. I’ve heard that before: spitzers will deflect but big flat or round nose will “bust” right through.

2l8,
That makes sense. I’ve heard that before: spitzers will deflect but big flat or round nose will “bust” right through.
It's a great theory but people keep forgetting bullets are spinning and moving forward. Mess with that spin, no matter what kind of bullet shape and things can and do go in crazy ways. Maybe it will plow right through, maybe it will turn on it's side and hit a foot from point of aim. I recall Craig Boddington and someone here doing the latter on a buffalo with some serious heavy bullets. Avoid hitting anything but the animal.

Thanks for all the good advice. I stuck with Nosler Partitions. However I didn’t pull the trigger. I saw some does or unidentifiable deer in the thick stuff. I did almost collect a nice buck with my IS 250 Lexus at very close range on the edge of my property coming home from Church a couple of days after the season closed! You don’t get much penitration but it is deadly on deer as long as you hit ‘em!

I can tell you most of my hunting collection was taken with a 270 using 150 grain Nosler Partion factory ammo from Federal Premium. I’ve taken everything from moose, caribou,sheep as well as numerous other game. The one thing that will always ring true is shot placement. That gun was like my third arm.

OK Gesch with no luck (same here) this year at home, you need to take that 270 with the 150 Nosler Partitions to Africa. I’m tired of looking at that handsome kudu avatar of yours!
:ROFLMAO:;)

Thanks for all the good advice. I stuck with Nosler Partitions. However I didn’t pull the trigger. I saw some does or unidentifiable deer in the thick stuff. I did almost collect a nice buck with my IS 250 Lexus at very close range on the edge of my property coming home from Church a couple of days after the season closed! You don’t get much penitration but it is deadly on deer as long as you hit ‘em!
No whitetail for me this year either. Glad you missed your only opportunity, the Lexus Magnum destroys an awful lot of meat!

OK Gesch with no luck (same here) this year at home, you need to take that 270 with the 150 Nosler Partitions to Africa. I’m tired of looking at that handsome kudu avatar of yours!
:ROFLMAO:;)
Trying to figure out when I can do just that! Thanks for your compliment about my kudu. I have named him Michael after my PH Michael Duvenhage! Merry Christmas to you. I always appreciate your posts.

Trying to figure out when I can do just that! Thanks for your compliment about my kudu. I have named him Michael after my PH Michael Duvenhage! Merry Christmas to you. I always appreciate your posts.
I named a wild boar after my x wife! Glad I am not the only guy doing stuff like that! LOL

I have named him Michael after my PH Michael Duvenhage! Merry Christmas to you.
I would have never thought of naming trophies! I’m going to come up with a name now!
And a very Merry Christmas to you sir! May 2019 be the best year yet!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Walkerph

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you