Short action magnums

That's the way I'm leaning. The
358 win keeps looking better and better
I like mine. If you're okay with the range limits the only other issue is the challenge of finding reloading components. Stock up ahead of time. Or keep a 308 or 30-06 as a backup.

@Hunter-Habib
That's what they said but they have ended up with a lot of claims for hearing losses .

There will certainly be those who take exception to this (and rightfully so - i mean no disrespect), but at the end of the day governments consider soldiers to be completely expendable. Though I think that has been changing a little the past 50 years - at least the public face of it.

@Hunter -Habib
True but how many people wear ear muffs while hunting. That would be akin to wearing hobnail boots for a hundred yard sprint. Can be done but not really practical.
I wear electronic plugs all the time in the field, the biggest pain is them saying timeout every 2 hours.

I personally find them practical, what is even better is screwing on a suppressor. It is not like the movies it is still loud just not crazy. Even with a can I still like to use plugs, trying to persevere what hearing I have left.

That's the way I'm leaning. The
358 win keeps looking better and better
@MISportsman
The beauty of the 358 is that standard cup and core projectiles work so well in it. The velocities are low enough that they don't usually come apart but it's high enough with the 225s to be able to reach out a reasonable distance. The good old Sierra 225gn game king holds together better the further out it gets.
A 250gr speer hot core and Woodleigh should drive deep even up close. No real need for premium bullets when the old work so well.
The old 250gr load in the Whelen at 2,450fps has killed a lot of big game. The 358 is only a fraction slower when loaded properly so will do the same.
Bob

Well, I'm still playing with my new 110 in .25-06, so I'm not looking for another rifle at the moment. I need to find a reasonably priced chronograph (never owned one) to try out some different loads. I've always gone by various reloading manual(s) data, but I want to try a chronograph.
Have to be extra careful when you're not looking for another rifle. I've had several end up hitchhiking home with me when I wasn't looking, ijs :Facepalm:

Short Magnums (and my favourite falling block action: Ruger's No 1). Just o the hell of it, I had a 300 WSM built, but withy the throat extended by about .230". SAFE loading allows enough more powder to boost MVs by close to 200FPS. Interestingly enough, an American L/R shooter, with near identical chamber dimensions and load data recently set a new 1,000yard, 10 shot record; something like sub 2" and 10X. Mine wont do that, but sub-MOA @ 1,000 o five ... Anyway, why go short? 308, 358, 325WSM, maybe??

@MISportsman
The beauty of the 358 is that standard cup and core projectiles work so well in it. The velocities are low enough that they don't usually come apart but it's high enough with the 225s to be able to reach out a reasonable distance. The good old Sierra 225gn game king holds together better the further out it gets.
A 250gr speer hot core and Woodleigh should drive deep even up close. No real need for premium bullets when the old work so well.
The old 250gr load in the Whelen at 2,450fps has killed a lot of big game. The 358 is only a fraction slower when loaded properly so will do the same.
Bob
And with the .35s you can use .357 pistol bullets for practice/varmints!

Bob,
These (or similar) are what I’ve been wearing while hunting for a number of years now. They really don’t affect normal hearing while hunting and the strap keeps them around your neck so you don’t have to have them in your ears all the time.
CEH

View attachment 498104
They work good. I use the same types.

I just love the short beefy wsm cartridges . Especially the 325.
In the research for this project I am beginning to find the same thing. For this build I went with the .358 win. However last week I came across a Montana rifle company x3 chambered in .325 wsm and couldn't help but put it on layaway!

In the research for this project I am beginning to find the same thing. For this build I went with the .358 win. However last week I came across a Montana rifle company x3 chambered in .325 wsm and couldn't help but put it on layaway!
@MISportsman
The 325WSM is the best of the short mags and very underrated. Unfortunately it doesn't get the recognition it deserves. I have a friend in Western Australia that uses one on camels and donkey to great effect. The only complaint he has is he finds it hard to get projectiles at times. He does like the Woodleighs in it.
Bob

There will certainly be those who take exception to this (and rightfully so - i mean no disrespect), but at the end of the day governments consider soldiers to be completely expendable. Though I think that has been changing a little the past 50 years - at least the public face of it.
Of course they do. It’s not likely the elites of a country are going to have them and theirs storming beaches or advancing toward the next objective. However, you have to figure their ancestors may have made great sacrifices to colonize a land, or to build a nation. So you may have to allow a bit of latitude for that- if it were the case. But if your great great granddaddy gave his life and your some modern day master of the universe-hence pussy- one can mock them if they don’t do much or anything noble to preserve a nation’s heritage.

It’ll handily kill any animal on the planet when used properly.
So will a frozen herring, but that doesn’t make it a good idea.

So will a frozen herring, but that doesn’t make it a good idea.
Ahhh I believe MIS was posting about a build. If an alternative is capable of killing any animal on the planet , I’m sure he should be satisfied with his choice. I wasn’t suggesting he use his choice of the two for anything on the planet. Although I would use it for anything.

Have a Remmy M600 carbine in .350RM. 18.5” barrel, 6.4lbs. I run it irons only.

It’s a great short range snot-pounder on deer and hogs.

My 600 is a 308… I absolutely love it… if I could find one in 350RM at a reasonable price I’d snatch it up in a heartbeat…

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brookbeans941

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!