Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA life member
Hunted
Namibia,USA, east cape sa
Hi all fellow ah’ers,
I don’t know if this is the right place for this, but nothing came up in my search.
I made my own, 3 dowel rods lashed together with a strip of leather, they work fine for practicing.
Both my trips to Africa, the ph had a set that had the u-shaped top to hold the gun, a base and attachments to hold the legs, my question is, does anyone know where to get that top piece? Or would I be better off to have my local machinist make one?
All thoughts appreciated!
Brandon

Bog Pod, Cabela's. Homemade ones work just as well. Do a Google Search on Shooting Sticks and several will come up. I made mine using 6 pieces of 5/8" Oak dowel, three 12" pieces of 1/2" thin wall electrical conduit and a vacuum cleaner drive belt. The Google search called for the use of a 1/2" copper repair coupling. I had trouble finding it that is why I used the thin wall conduit. My total cost was under $25.00.

Do an eBay search for shooting rest or Bog Pod rest.

How long should the sticks be?
Unfortunately the length is all relative to your personal height, your stance preference and the spread of the legs.
I’m 5’8”, so if you’re 6’ they would need to be substantially longer.
I’ll try to dig out my BogPod to give you an idea for my height.

Unfortunately the length is all relative to your personal height, your stance preference and the spread of the legs.
I’m 5’8”, so if you’re 6’ they would need to be substantially longer.
I’ll try to dig out my BogPod to give you an idea for my height.

Thanks. I am 6'4", so I will need the to be long. I guess I can go out and cut some sticks and figure it out by trial and error.

Bog Pod, Cabela's. Homemade ones work just as well. Do a Google Search on Shooting Sticks and several will come up. I made mine using 6 pieces of 5/8" Oak dowel, three 12" pieces of 1/2" thin wall electrical conduit and a vacuum cleaner drive belt. The Google search called for the use of a 1/2" copper repair coupling. I had trouble finding it that is why I used the thin wall conduit. My total cost was under $25.00.
Art would you share a picture of the one you built? Thank you

With the sticks opened up, you want the "v" about the height of your arm-pit. Commercial shooting sticks are adjustable. Homemade versions require a saw. A little trial and error is to be expected.

Thanks. I am 6'4", so I will need the to be long. I guess I can go out and cut some sticks and figure it out by trial and error.
OK, I stood on an 8” step with the Bog pod legs spread 4’ apart. The legs were set at 6’ long and it seemed about perfect for a full standing position resting on the “Y” of the BogPod. It is 2” from the top of the legs to the bottom (rifle rest) of the “Y”.

I suspect you could start building using 6’ bamboo poles (cheap) for a prototype, then build on that.
Or just buy a BogPod or similar. BogPod is what a lot of PHs use.

What ever, best of luck in your decision!

OK, I stood on an 8” step with the Bog pod legs spread 4’ apart. The legs were set at 6’ long and it seemed about perfect for a full standing position resting on the “Y” of the BogPod. It is 2” from the top of the legs to the bottom (rifle rest) of the “Y”.

I suspect you could start building using 6’ bamboo poles (cheap) for a prototype, then build on that.
Or just buy a BogPod or similar. BogPod is what a lot of PHs use.

What ever, best of luck in your decision!

Thank you sir. That is very helpful.

One advantage that a set up like the BogPod has is that it is adjustable for what ever shooting position you are in.

On my hunt my PH had the BogPod and it worked quite well from a sitting position to standing.

This is an idea I've been thinking about and might give a try. Fiberglass rods

WW Grainger has various diameter rods available in 5ft and 10ft lengths. The problem or unknown is, I don't know if these are real stiff or limber. My plan is to get a few different diameter rods in the 5 ft lengths first and test them out. If they are stiff enough, then get three 10 footers and cut them around 6 ft or so. The 4 ft leftovers could be a shorter version for kneeling or sitting. Not sure what I'll tie them with, leather boot lace or a bike inner tube. Maybe get some small rubber hose at an autoparts store and put it on the ends which cradle the rifle.

Comments?

https://www.grainger.com/category/f...M=4&searchRedirect=fiberglass+rods&sst=subset

375 Ruger Fan, the drive belt for a Kirby Vacuum cleaner works perfectly. I used it on 5/8" Oak Dowels. Cost was around $5.00. It looks like a gigantic "O" ring about 3 to3 & 1/2 dia .

IMG_0137.JPG
these are the sticks I made, 5/8 oak dowel, brass connectors, leather shoe string.
Work fine for practicing, but I’d like to make/ buy a brass top, u shape cradle that I’ve seen ph’s use

View attachment 216070these are the sticks I made, 5/8 oak dowel, brass connectors, leather shoe string.
Work fine for practicing, but I’d like to make/ buy a brass top, u shape cradle that I’ve seen ph’s use

I made the same ones, but with a vacuum cleaner rubber belt.

I taped the tops up good for "padding" and have never needed or wanted anything else.

Are you thinking the cradle will make you more stable?

No, just like the simplicity of setting them up, I used these for whitetail here in Wisconsin, during a deer drive thru the swamp, but I was posting so they were set up waiting for the deer to come out

To set them up for whitetail would be tough, if in the moment, per say

Royal27, my shooting sticks are almost identical to yours. I fixed the metal connecting sleeve ( in my case EMT instead of the copper repair pipe) with 2 very small screws to the bottom leg. For padding I used heater hose thinking it would be softer than multiple layers of electrical tape. Some of the ranges I shoot at have a concrete slab under the shooting stations. For those ranges I put a rubber cap (normally for furniture feet) over the ends of the bottom leg to keep them from slipping. There are lots of cheap ways to skin this cat.

This is an idea I've been thinking about and might give a try. Fiberglass rods

WW Grainger has various diameter rods available in 5ft and 10ft lengths. The problem or unknown is, I don't know if these are real stiff or limber. My plan is to get a few different diameter rods in the 5 ft lengths first and test them out. If they are stiff enough, then get three 10 footers and cut them around 6 ft or so. The 4 ft leftovers could be a shorter version for kneeling or sitting. Not sure what I'll tie them with, leather boot lace or a bike inner tube. Maybe get some small rubber hose at an autoparts store and put it on the ends which cradle the rifle.

Comments?

https://www.grainger.com/category/fiberglass-rod-stock/fiberglass/raw-materials/ecatalog/N-c18Z1yzbae0?okey=fiberglass+rods&mkey=Fiberglass+Rod+Stock+Isophthlic+Polyester+Resin+(ISO)+Fiberglass+Material+&NLSCM=4&EndecaKeyword=Fiberglass+Rod+Stock&searchRedirect=fiberglass+rods&sst=subset#nav=/category/fiberglass-rod-stock/fiberglass/raw-materials/ecatalog/N-c18Z1z0nyqiZ1yzbae0?EndecaKeyword=Fiberglass+Rod+Stock&NLSCM=4&searchRedirect=fiberglass+rods&sst=subset

Use a gin lashing. Send me a PM if this advice confuses you. I have done it (i.e. I worked with the sappers in our section to get it right) for a cable way to carry Bailey bridge base plates, etc. across a gap, so I can easily run you through a smaller scale lashing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roll_the_Knob!

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.