Shooting sticks to practice on

lpace

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, USA, Canada
I'm heading to the Limpopo next June with a friend of mine. I'm a bow hunter and he is a rifle hunter. I would like to get him a set of shooting sticks to practice on this winter and spring but, being a bow hunter, have no idea what the sticks are all about. Soooo, what would y'all recommend that would be effective and not break the bank?

Thanks in advance!

I would suggest trying to find out what type of sticks your PH will have for your friend to use in Limpopo, and finding something similar to train on.

Good advice

Just about any trip pod will suffice. Bog pod makes a good one. The only thing important is he practices a lot with them.

Jim shockey trigger sticks are popular in SA
Or take 3 broom sticks lash together with old rubber from a tube and u done
Regards

Attachments

• Screenshot (291).png
    Screenshot (291).png
    596.9 KB · Views: 117
Big pod are popular. He can bring his own if he wants to be sure to be familiar with them.

The Jim Shockey Primos trigger sticks are gaining in popularity the world over it seems and look like a good investment so if you want to get him a set for future use and practice then take a look at them.
In Africa, unless you ask your PH what he uses and get the same your friend can practice on pretty much anything that has three legs.
Tripods vary from three sticks lashed together with inner tube to parts of old and broken tripods bodged together to form a rifle rest to commercial purpose made ones left by hunters or purchased locally or on behalf of the PH.
You will encounter sturdy ones, not so sturdy ones, flexible ones, stiff ones, could be anything.
But, once you have practiced off sticks you will be able to utilise any combination of three poles and methods to join them near the top.

This is Jim from African Sporting Creations and we make our sticks one at a time in Ohio. They are the only ones on the market that come with an unconditional lifetime warranty and the ones mentioned above are covered by 1 year conditional warranties. There are other "less expensive" sticks on the market but you will wind up buying several sets of them over the life of your hunting career. Our average customer has already spent enough to buy two-three sets of ours, before they place their order.

www.africansc.com

Jim

Be aware that some PH's use two legged sticks. I practiced extensively with 3 legged and found my ph used two legged. It took some adjustment to figure out how to make them stable for me. I ended up putting them out in front of me, jamming the v against my trigger guard and leaning into them.

Be aware that some PH's use two legged sticks. I practiced extensively with 3 legged and found my ph used two legged. It took some adjustment to figure out how to make them stable for me. I ended up putting them out in front of me, jamming the v against my trigger guard and leaning into them.
I’ve seen these. If you come across them, I suggest you tell the PH you want the three sticks. There isn’t a PH in Africa (or more likely a tracker) I’d guess who can’t make the tripod using sturdy sticks and inner tube.

You should use what you’re familiar with. In other words, the PH adapts to you, not the other way around.

I’ve seen these. If you come across them, I suggest you tell the PH you want the three sticks. There isn’t a PH in Africa (or more likely a tracker) I’d guess who can’t make the tripod using sturdy sticks and inner tube.

You should use what you’re familiar with. In other words, the PH adapts to you, not the other way around.

I think this is very true. The guys I have hunted with would have carved them out a specific tree if they thought that is what I wanted, everyone went out of their way to make sure I was happy and successful.

Big pod are popular. He can bring his own if he wants to be sure to be familiar with them.

Bog pod! Spell check!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gpstracking

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg