Shooting Accidents...

I used to frequent a public range that had a 200 yard line (one of the only in the state) separated from the rest of the range by a burm. The rest of the range were able to keep shooting when folks went down to 200. As you duck and run down to 200, you would hear bullets whizzing past your head and see bullets laying on the gravel path. And this was sanctioned by the state's conservation dept. Hopefully they rearranged it bc it was super dangerous.

Maybe just ban stupid people.
@RandyF
You're still trying to be funny.
That's like saying stupidity should be illegal. It ain't gunna work because the are to many stupid people out there. Besides that who else would we have in politics and don't say smart people. There isn't to many smart people in politics.
I had a person in my platoon that touch almost had to write
Caution bullet comes out this end on his rifle. He did learn tho.
Bob

@RandyF
You're still trying to be funny.
That's like saying stupidity should be illegal. It ain't gunna work because the are to many stupid people out there. Besides that who else would we have in politics and don't say smart people. There isn't to many smart people in politics.
I had a person in my platoon that touch almost had to write
Caution bullet comes out this end on his rifle. He did learn tho.
Bob
Sorry

every gun is always loaded so treat it as such.
never allow a muzzle to point at anything you are not prepared to destroy.
the main 2 rules of firearm safety.
possibly the 3rd rule is just don't be with someone who is not safe.
you can't be too safe, but not safe enough can happen.
it is too late afterwards.
bruce.

Guns are dangerous in the same wag that chainsaws are dangerous. If you don't stay focused when using, bad things can result. If you follow the 10 rules of safe gun handling every time you handle a gun they are as safe as using any sharp implement. If not bad things result.

caution-sign.jpg

GRAPHIC CONTENT BELOW

This guy and a buddy were sighting their rifles in. One of the guns was leaned up against the 4 wheeler he was standing on. The gun started to fall and his buddy grabbed it, or something on the bike caught the trigger. Either way, he caught a .45-70 round right under the collar bone. I think it goes with out being said, how lucky he is to still be here.

The big hole around his shoulder blade is where the bullet entered and it traveled under his skin and exited right there on his neck, above his spinal cord! Just goes to show that he truly is LUCKY! The bullet just burned the edges of the skin of the wound that you see in the picture. He's getting better & better every day, last night he was even doing push ups!! He's finally able to use his arm again! Somehow it didn't hit anything major and basically ended up being a really bad flesh wound! It is truly a miracle that he is alive and not paralyzed!

Monish

watermark.php

When I was a young boy living in the states. The local game warden would issue a citation "for loaded gun in a vehicle" to anyone who had a loaded gun leaning or laying on a vehicle. This usually took place during dove season. At the time we thought he was a jerk!. Trust me, I have since learned better!

caution-sign.jpg

GRAPHIC CONTENT ABOVE

I don't like when I hear the "guns are dangerous" type of comment. Guns certainly have the ability to be used in a dangerous fashion, as do many other items. By themselves, guns are no more dangerous than anything else. You've heard the stories... I can leave a loaded gun at home alone all day, week, year, etc.... They never hurt anyone on their own. What can be dangerous is people (mis)using a firearm. And the same can be said for many other objects as well. Hell, almost anything can be used as a weapon of some kind. Almost anything can be "dangerous" with that mindset. The difference being, that some things are far easier to use as a weapon, or to cause harm to others, be it intentional or not. That's why I am not opposed to safe firearm storage regulations, or proper firearms training being mandatory. To me that makes sense, not because "guns are dangerous", but because of the ease in which they can be used in a dangerous manner.
As far as malfunctions go, I think I'd be hard pressed to make a list of things that couldn't cause harm if they were to malfunction compared to a list of things that would! That's why airplanes are maintained, why you maintain your car or your chainsaw, and why you should maintain your firearm as well. It's not as important to maintain your can-opener, but be aware that someone may get hurt if it malfunctions. ;)

On a side-note, I tend to agree with @Mike70560 in that I would think a bullet traveling just under the skin would leave quite a visible amount of damage. There are a couple other things that don't quite seem right either...... But really, I don't care too much if it is or isn't a bullet wound. It gets people talking and aware. Firearms need to be handled safely at all times. I think most would agree that most firearm "accidents" could have been avoided. Let's not feed the antis more ammunition. (Especially when WE have a shortage! LOL)

Reading about this incident , made me suddenly remember about a ghastly accident which I had witnessed in 1985 . I was hunting bar-headed geese with a few close friends , and we were all on a speed boat . There was a Lyon & Lyon 12 bore ( 3 inch chambers ) double barreled back action side by side shotgun with exposed rebounding hammers , on the boat . It belonged to one of the gentlemen in our hunting party . While attempting to load the chambers of the shotgun with Eley Alphamax AAA shells , he attempted to cock back the hammers . Unfortunately , his hands were wet and the left hammer slipped from his thumb before he could pull it back to full cock . It struck the firing pin of the shotgun and the left barrel discharged .

The shotgun’s barrels were pointed in the direction of the water . But that was the bone chilling part . We had sent two of our servants into the water , in order to recover the downed bar-headed geese . The charge of AAA slugs passed mere inches above the head of one of our servants . But it appeared to completely miss him . As the fellow nonchalantly made his way back to the deck of our speed boat , we realized that his hair was slightly bloody and that blood was trickling over onto his face . As it turned out , one of the AAA slugs had grazed the very top of his scalp . From that day onwards , we all resolved to exercise extreme caution at all times . For tragedy had only barely been averted .

As much as I greatly appreciate exposed hammer shotguns , they can be extremely dangerous to cock with wet ( or bloody ) hands .

Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.” Captain A. G. Lamplugh, British Aviation Insurance Group, London.

This is the old adage in the aviation community though usually not quoted to this extent. All one needs to do is replace the first four words with "Firearms are" and you have something that captures the possible ill effects of firearm mishandling better than anything previously posted in this thread IMO.

A shutdown airplane on a ramp and an unloaded firearm in a corner are very unlikely to harm anyone. Mistreat or misuse either and you've earned yourself a one way ticket to F***ed city. That's my far less eloquent version of the above.

On a side-note, I tend to agree with @Mike70560 in that I would think a bullet traveling just under the skin would leave quite a visible amount of damage. There are a couple other things that don't quite seem right either...... But really, I don't care too much if it is or isn't a bullet wound. It gets people talking and aware. Firearms need to be handled safely at all times. I think most would agree that most firearm "accidents" could have been avoided. Let's not feed the antis more ammunition. (Especially when WE have a shortage! LOL)
I have seen bullets do all kinds of crazy thing when the strike a human. Special operations medic. As for this being caused by a 45/70, it very well could be.
I also agree however that any weapon be it a pointy stick or a 50 BMG is no more than a paper weight until some dip shit picks it up and pokes you with it.

Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.” Captain A. G. Lamplugh, British Aviation Insurance Group, London.

This is the old adage in the aviation community though usually not quoted to this extent. All one needs to do is replace the first four words with "Firearms are" and you have something that captures the possible ill effects of firearm mishandling better than anything previously posted in this thread IMO.

A shutdown airplane on a ramp and an unloaded firearm in a corner are very unlikely to harm anyone. Mistreat or misuse either and you've earned yourself a one way ticket to F***ed city. That's my far less eloquent version of the above.
@CJW
Planes is more dangerous than boats because you always hear about planes falling out of the sky. You don't h ear of a boat falling out of the water tho.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Bob

@CJW
Planes is more dangerous than boats because you always hear about planes falling out of the sky. You don't h ear of a boat falling out of the water tho.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Bob

It's not the boat falling out of the water but the 40 ft roller annhilating the boat and yourself in one fell swoop. Or the less harrowing tale of the drunk guy falling overboard never to be seen again.

@CJW
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Bob

Planes don't need to fall out of the sky to crash. They just need a pilot who panics, smashes the throttle and thinks the ailerons steer the plane on the ground. :A Clapping: I'm a jerk because I can't help but laugh when I watch this video.

Last edited by a moderator:
the very heading of this thread gives a clue to human nature.
we tend to look for an escape clause when something goes wrong.
the truth of the matter is that there is no such thing as a shooting accident.
in fact there is only shooting negligence, and that must be called for what it is.
if every firearms handler had this mental approach, there would never be a negative incident.
we are weak in this area, and this weakness does not help a victim.
bruce.

the very heading of this thread gives a clue to human nature.
we tend to look for an escape clause when something goes wrong.
the truth of the matter is that there is no such thing as a shooting accident.
in fact there is only shooting negligence, and that must be called for what it is.
if every firearms handler had this mental approach, there would never be a negative incident.
we are weak in this area, and this weakness does not help a victim.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
As an infamous person (me) says

Accidents don't just happen arseholes cause them.

Shooting accidents and other accidents wouldn't happen if people were switched on when doing an activity be it a safe or high risk activity.
Bob

bob,
i notice you using the word accident.
however prior to that you said accidents are caused.
the latter is the case, but then it is not an accident is it?
if the incident only caused death, injury or pain to the shooter humans might think a little differently.
when it might happen to someone else negligence becomes more easy to do.
bruce.

I've said this many times and I'll say it again: There are no accidents. There are acts of stupidity. If someone wasn't doing something stupid, it wouldn't have happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlivaLondo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!