Shoes and boots? I need help!

Discussion in 'Hunting Equipment, Gear & Optics' started by gesch, Jul 29, 2019.

1. LiegeRiver

LiegeRiver AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, B&C, NAHC, RMEF, APOS
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA
    The wife and I bought each other Lowa Renegade hikers for Christmas....put them on and go, zero break-in time, extremely comfortable. We wore them exclusively on our hunt in SA. No problems.

gesch and Inline6 like this.

2. Sika98k

Sika98k AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Wild Deer Association of Ireland
    Hunted:
    Kenya,Namibia, Morocco Ireland,Scotland,Denmark, Romania, Sweden,Norway,Latvia,Germany,Hungary,
    I admit to having a pair of Courteney boots, well worn. But the leather is still in good shape. I also have a pair of the local Namibian “vellies ” made from Kudu leather. They have worn just as well, if not better, as the Courteney boots. Cost ? About $30 if I remember correctly.
    Both boots,with a pair of leather gaiters, are perfect for where I have hunted in Namibia.
    Safari Den in Windhoek have great value and Shilongo leathers is just downstairs.

B43774DC-69AF-49DA-A932-DB7DC4EF8BEF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2019
    Brent C, Tra3 and gesch like this.

3. Hutch01

Hutch01 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    RSA East Cape 4X, Mozambique, NZ, Namibia
    With all the lose rocks and mountains we hiked over in the Hochland Conservancy, I enjoyed a stiffer boot with rock climbing soles and ankle support. Courtney’s seem softer in these two areas.

gesch likes this.

4. MMAL

MMAL GOLD SUPPORTER AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Jersey, New York, Wyoming, Colorado, Mexico, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Northwest Territories, Newfoundland, Namibia
    Why do you need a a great quality rifle instead of a lesser quality one that shoots just as well. I have a pair of Courtney’s cause I wanted a pair. They work great. I also bring a pair of Merrill’s because they work and are as comfortable as the Courtney’s. Work just as well. What I personally would avoid is a heavy full size ankle supporting boot. They are not made for long walks in Africa. Lighter and quieter for me.

gesch likes this.

5. Inline6

Inline6 AH Veteran

I have the same one and agree 100%

gesch likes this.

6. flat8

flat8 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    I have Danner Pronghorns and I love them.

gesch and Von S. like this.

7. Wyatt Smith

Wyatt Smith AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I wear redwing lace ups nearly every day of the world. I have never been to Africa but here in Illinois I feel move quieter with a softer soled shoe. I wear my lacrosse rubber boots squirrel hunting for that reason. Are there any good lace ups with a soft sole?

gesch likes this.

8. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    My top recommendation is custom made Russell Moccasin PH boots. Your German roots may scream a bit as they are custom and priced accordingly. Courtney’s run a bit wide for me personally but a solid choice. Many of us have Merrill’s as well and they are fine. I usually have something akin to Merrill’s to travel in and my Russell’s packed in my luggage. As you know you need to travel in something you can use to hunt in.
    I just hunted part of the time in some Italian made Crispi’s that I was not crazy about but I may not have had the best model for that hunt. I may try another one of the Crispi hiking boots in the future.
    Don’t forget Kenetrek boots and they make a safari boot you may like.
    Philip

gesch likes this.

9. 3S Safaris

3S Safaris SPONSOR Since 2017 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Canada, Colorado, Wyoming, Texas, Kansas
    The Keens or Merrills will work just fine , but will the last ? I own 3 pairs of Courteney's my first pair I bought in 2005 and took to Namibia I abuse mine as I wear them on the farm and everyday wear and I have treated the leather made 2x since I bought them. They are tough as nails and will last me another 15 yrs without a doubt . Personally I don't feel the others will hold up for the duration. But only my .02.

gesch likes this.

10. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

one word.
    scarpa.
    bruce.

cem rona ergin and gesch like this.

11. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    The use (even long term) of a particular pair of shoes as hunting boots does not necessarily imply an endorsement for that purpose. This is even more likely to be the case where the hunter has chosen - logically, I’d suggest - to wear comfortable leather crocs (not the goofy kind) for a 36 hour plane journey - and the airline decides to begin a torture test of said crocs by not delivering the hunter’s boots (and luggage) for 14 days. The entire duration of the hunt.

Having been compelled by circumstances to engage in a torture test of these crocs, I can say they passed, if by passed we mean they lasted the duration. They also proved to have a comfortable sole, unless one was stepping on thorns, in which case the soles were entirely permeable. The biggest problem was the total lack of support when walking uphill or over difficult country (which includes the entire savannah area of Cameroon). However, the lack of laces certainly saved time, and I was not faced with that age-old dilemma faced by hunters everywhere - which boots go best with this particular camo pattern?

Having hunted in a range of footwear, including but not limited to the aforementioned crocs, Courtney Selous, two different Russell Moccasin boots, a pair of Lowa desert boots and a few others I’ve probably forgotten about, I can say that the best footwear for you is that which you find the most comfortable.

Personally, I’ve landed on New Balance trail boots. Fit like a sneaker and equally comfortable, and are light but provide ankle support. They come in a range of widths, and are cheap enough that you can always be another, or a second, pair. Lastly, and most importantly, I look very stylish in them, regardless of which camo pattern I am wearing or, even if I am wearing no camo at all! And let me add one thing - they are comfortable enough to wear on long airplane rides and to take off a various security checkpoints. So my hunting footwear will now always travel on my feet rather than in my luggage!:)

MMAL, Tra3, gesch and 1 other person like this.

12. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Atglen Sportsmen's Club, NRA ,SCCFSA
    Hunted:
    RSA, DE, NJ, PA, KS, TX
    Why is it you buy a pair of shoes or boots you absolutely love and when they wear out you discover they're no longer made or are made cheaper and then you think sonofabeechnut, I should have bought two pairs?

13. cagkt3

cagkt3 AH ENABLER PLATINUM SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI - West Texas Chapter, HSC, NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zimbabwe, OK, TX, UT
    @Hank2211 you can get the best of both worlds now!!
    upload_2019-7-30_9-40-47.png

Hank2211 and gesch like this.

14. Boela

Boela AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Zululand Hunters & Conservation Association, South African Hunters Association, PHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, England, Wales, Austria, Swaziland, US: Idaho, Alaska
    One more vote for Lowa.
    I am well through my second hunting season with my pair, and have they performed well above expectation.
    Rocks, thorns, dirt, mud, water.... Have not once taken them off at the end of a day and found my feet sweaty or damp.
    Breathability is amazing.

gesch and Hogpatrol like this.

15. rookhawk

rookhawk AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International

Being a fellow Wisconsinite I think we can be honest...we are inherently frugal to the point of painfully so...we'll buy 5x cheap before we'll buy "big". It's that German-Polish-Dutch / Evangelical-Lutheran tendency that runs from Rhinelander all they way to Lake Geneva, La Crosse to Wausau.

Spend the money.

Then the other problem about Wisconsinites....we like to buy local. Don't buy Russells...I have an unworn pair (3rd try!) of $700 russells at home. They are sorely lacking in fit and weight.

Get the Courteney Selous boots and never look back. Trust me, you'll get one pair and love them so much after they are half worn out that you'll buy a second so you always have a pair to rotate every-other day on Safari. Now that I have two perfectly broken in pairs for hunting, I need a 3rd pair because I don't want any of the optimal life of the prior two pairs to be used up in the USA and wish to reserve them for Safaris.

No boot or shoe I've ever owned is as comfortable as Courteneys. They don't get funky or smell. They fit. They don't make my hips and back hurt at the end of a 5 mile hike.

Almost forgot...I like the boots so much I also have 2 pairs of casual shoes in ele and hippo for US wear about town.

gesch and kgesch like this.

16. Karoo Wild Safaris

Karoo Wild Safaris SPONSOR Since 2016 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    ECGMA, PHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
    I’ve worn a few different types but Jim Greens last Longer than any other pair I’ve owned. You can find them online through Crouch Footwear.

gesch likes this.

17. Shootist43

Shootist43 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
    I wear a size 12 EEEE or better still a size 12 H. All of the Courtney's I see just say size 12. They simply cannot fit everything from D width which is normal to Extra Wide. For most U.S. manufacturers EE is considered Extra Wide, which is no where near the width I need.

gesch likes this.

18. rookhawk

rookhawk AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
    I'd suggest a tracing of your "fred flintstone feet" get scanned (with a ruler to ensure size is accurate in photo) and then forward it to Gayle Rice, CEO of Courteney Boot. I can virtually guarantee she'll make you a proper pair of boots in your dimensions.

YancyW, gesch, Dewald and 1 other person like this.

19. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    gesch and cagkt3 like this.

20. meigsbucks

meigsbucks AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe and Namibia
    I’ve worn a pair of Rocky Outbacks on both of my safaris and some turkey hunts as well as some hiking. I’ll probably wear them on safari number three.
    Although I haven’t worn them on safari, I’ve found Danner and Merrill fit and wear well.

gesch and Areaonereal like this.