Shipping Trophies has Gotten Outlandish

If you should go again have the outfitter put everything in your name. Then you won’t need to involve the taxidermist. If it’s just standard PG like this no questions will be asked.
Agreed that’s the plan

Ok sounds like your broker only works out of DFW and JFK.

Broker only works out of DFW. But Forward Air even though a truck gets a flight number and the trophies will clear DFW.

How are the shipping rates on getting animals back from Europe compared to Africa? Africa known for its hunting and shipping companies know

Turkish Airlines are also a bunch of pirates.

It has to clear wherever it lands from overseas.
Turkish airlines will carry but I recently cleared for a UK client and it is the D'nata the ground staff who refused to handle and the consignment was sent to Edingurgh where I was able to clear through a different firm

I made a great hunt last May to SA and was able to harvest a great Buffalo, Sable, Springbok and warthog (see my hunt report with Blackthorn Safari). Had the trophies picked up by Splitting Image on our last day there. They were to do all the dip and pack of my animals but no taxidermy which they did after just about exactly one year and $1100. They then passed them off to the shipping company who sent me an invoice for $2815 to get the animals to Baltimore where they could go through customs. I wired the money the day after receiving the invoice. After not hearing anything I inquired about the shipping and they said because Delta won't fly any of the big 5 and I have a buffalo they have to ship it on Turkish Airways which doesn't fly into Baltimore so it would have to be trucked from IAD to Baltimore and it would cost an additional $1018. This has gotten to the point where I probably will not go back to Africa or if I do I won't bring any animals back to the states. When you total all the costs up it will end up costing more to get the animals here and mounted than it did to do the hunt! Am I crazy or is $4000 too high for a relatively small crate with skins and horns?
This is fairly normal with the exception of the trucking. Please do not let this one setback keep you from Africa. I detest the fact that Splitting Image took a year to send dip and pack. This is the raw incompetence of Africa. I do not want to hear any more accolades about Splitting Image!

How are the shipping rates on getting animals back from Europe compared to Africa? Africa known for its hunting and shipping companies know

A matter of perspective, I just spent right at 1000 dollars to get 2 trophies back. I think I spent 1200 or 1300 getting to 2 back in 2022.

So not cheap but not heartbreaking either lol.

Having arrived at the place you describe some years ago (simply no more room for dead fauna, I have taken the opposite position you describe. I realized that I collected things like ancient coins, fine art, and a library. But, I hunted for the experience. One more or less dead animal on the wall would mean very little to me and nothing at all to any guests. But another hunting experience in Africa, South America, or Europe would have very real meaning. So halting the taxidermy and shipping has actually freed me to enjoy the sport even more than I did before.

I try to take really good photography, build photo travel logs of every adventure (both hunting and when we are playing tourist), and occasionally add a new canvas print to the wall. For instance my best (by a large margin) sable and Kafue Lechwe. This way I even have my PH's mounted as well. :cool:

View attachment 608023
Finally, I am old enough to realize these mounts will be of no of no interest to any of my family. In fact, unlike a fine gun collection, they will simply be burden to dispose of at pennies on the dollar. The travel logs of our adventures, on the other hand. might actually interest a grandchild someday.

View attachment 608026
These are all excellent points. Having never been to Africa before I’m planning on having stuff shipped back. But I’m also curious about those travel logs and which company you used for those?

I agree that shipping has gotten outrageous. 2023 trip is still at taxidermist in South Africa I use for dip and pack. I asked them to hold till 2024 trip is completed. I am only having a select few shipped back to USA. Rest of the animals will stay there. I am only bringing a select few back this next trip. From then on it will be pictures only

These are all excellent points. Having never been to Africa before I’m planning on having stuff shipped back. But I’m also curious about those travel logs and which company you used for those?
Shutterfly They have a custom option to build your own which is what I use. There are lots of layout options.

Photo Journals

Last edited by a moderator:
This is fairly normal with the exception of the trucking. Please do not let this one setback keep you from Africa. I detest the fact that Splitting Image took a year to send dip and pack. This is the raw incompetence of Africa. I do not want to hear any more accolades about Splitting Image!
I agree I was over at the same time and actually met Gerry. I have nothing to say good about my experience with splitting image I sent payment for my stuff in October and haven’t yet received word that they’re ready. Everytime I ask I’ve been told they’re waiting on permits. It also took over a month of poor contact for me just to be able to send them money. Is this the new normal for all Africa or just splitting image?

I spent time reading the responses here, and never saw any of these discount import fees when I went. (didn't use splitting image either)
I'm on the, bring back only pictures and memories side. The "after the hunt until mounted on the wall" soured the whole African experience for me.

Last edited:
I made a great hunt last May to SA and was able to harvest a great Buffalo, Sable, Springbok and warthog (see my hunt report with Blackthorn Safari). Had the trophies picked up by Splitting Image on our last day there. They were to do all the dip and pack of my animals but no taxidermy which they did after just about exactly one year and $1100. They then passed them off to the shipping company who sent me an invoice for $2815 to get the animals to Baltimore where they could go through customs. I wired the money the day after receiving the invoice. After not hearing anything I inquired about the shipping and they said because Delta won't fly any of the big 5 and I have a buffalo they have to ship it on Turkish Airways which doesn't fly into Baltimore so it would have to be trucked from IAD to Baltimore and it would cost an additional $1018. This has gotten to the point where I probably will not go back to Africa or if I do I won't bring any animals back to the states. When you total all the costs up it will end up costing more to get the animals here and mounted than it did to do the hunt! Am I crazy or is $4000 too high for a relatively small crate with skins and horns?
How many shipping companies have you talked to about the airfreight? How did they not know about the Big 5/Turkish? Have you asked them about alternate ports of entry? Who are you using as an exporter?

My 2022 Namibia hunt (shipped Jan of 2023) had a total shipping/clearing/transport bill of $3,066.38. That was airfare, clearing, customs, 8 days of warehouse, cites processing, wire fees, and trucking from JFK to Texas. Dip & Pack was $850.70 for 7 animals (1 life size, 2 Euros on Shields, 4 Shoulders) of that.

Last edited:
Having arrived at the place you describe some years ago (simply no more room for dead fauna, I have taken the opposite position you describe. I realized that I collected things like ancient coins, fine art, and a library. But, I hunted for the experience. One more or less dead animal on the wall would mean very little to me and nothing at all to any guests. But another hunting experience in Africa, South America, or Europe would have very real meaning. So halting the taxidermy and shipping has actually freed me to enjoy the sport even more than I did before.

I try to take really good photography, build photo travel logs of every adventure (both hunting and when we are playing tourist), and occasionally add a new canvas print to the wall. For instance my best (by a large margin) sable and Kafue Lechwe. This way I even have my PH's mounted as well. :cool:

View attachment 608023
Finally, I am old enough to realize these mounts will be of no of no interest to any of my family. In fact, unlike a fine gun collection, they will simply be burden to dispose of at pennies on the dollar. The travel logs of our adventures, on the other hand. might actually interest a grandchild someday.

View attachment 608026

Love the photo book idea for both you and your heirs; also you bring up a good point about the pictures including PH’s and others who were there.

I started doing something similar with shadow/display boxes from hobby lobby years ago. I like to include the local currency and other things that bring back memories.

Ireland
IMG_3209.jpeg

Costa Rica
IMG_3210.jpeg

Shutterfly They have a custom option to build your own which is what I use. There are lots of layout options.

Photo Journals
I have used WordPerfect to write my stories. I find it incorporates photos better than MS Word. If you take the time to learn the ins and outs of the program, it's possible to set the pages up to print double-sided with binding offset, alternating headers and page numbers, etc to print something that can go straight to a bookbindery. Nice to leave bound volumes for my grandkids that look like something off the shelf of a 19th century library. Hmmm. Perhaps I should be doing this for others. Never thought about that. If there's enough interest ... maybe I could be talked into coming out of retirement. Here's a page from a book of fairy tales I wrote for my grandson just before he was born.
1 The Unhappy Huntsman-page-003.jpg

And a page from a journal.
Chapter One-page-001.jpg

The things we can do with computers these days. Truly amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that the cost has gotten pretty steep lately. This July will be mine and my wife's 3rd and last trip for a while. Last year in Limpopo we shot Eland, Red Hartebeast, Bushbuck, Springbok, Blue Wildebeest and a Black Impala. I used Trophy Solutions for the Dip & Pack, Condor Cargo for the freight and Coppersmith on this side to expedite and deliver to my taxidermist. I live in the Chicago, IL area and my taxidermist is here also so flying into ORD and having Coppersmith expedite made sense to me. After this figure $1000 - $2000 per mount for the taxidermy.

Bills as follows for skull, horns and cape (shoulder mounts).
Dip & Pack = $1813
Air Freight = $1230 (Jo-burg to Chicago O'Hare)
Coppersmith at ORD = $1311
Total $4354

How many shipping companies have you talked to about the airfreight? How did they not know about the Big 5/Turkish? Have you asked them about alternate ports of entry? Who are you using as an exporter?

My 2022 Namibia hunt (shipped Jan of 2023) had a total shipping/clearing/transport bill of $3,066.38. That was airfare, clearing, customs, 8 days of warehouse, cites processing, wire fees, and trucking from JFK to Texas. Dip & Pack was $850.70 for 7 animals (1 life size, 2 Euros on Shields, 4 Shoulders)

Your costs seem relatively inexpensive. What companies did you use? Did you truck from JFK directly to your taxidermist?

Your costs seem relatively inexpensive. What companies did you use? Did you truck from JFK directly to your taxidermist?
Erongo Taxidermy for D&P (i shopped 3 or 4)

Gentian Air Freight in Windhoek (again shopped a few places and relied on Wyatt’s expertise)

Safari Specialty Importers did my import. Wyatt has/has access to a bonded warehouse (Cargo Tours). Every import include a fee for X days of storage. You pay that set fee regardless of how long your stuff is in storage.

Shipping was then done by truck from NY to taxidermist in Amarillo ( @gizmo )

Wyatt will also add everything up, you can pay everything at once so you have a single wire fee.

A matter of perspective, I just spent right at 1000 dollars to get 2 trophies back. I think I spent 1200 or 1300 getting to 2 back in 2022.

So not cheap but not heartbreaking either lol.
Where those shipments shoulder mounted or just hides and horns?
I consider $1000 a lot of money to me but if those prices are what my roe deer shipment cost, I'll be happy with that.

Where those shipments shoulder mounted or just hides and horns?
I consider $1000 a lot of money to me but if those prices are what my roe deer shipment cost, I'll be happy with that.

Hides and horns.

It is a lot but compared to others it didn't seem so bad. I will send you a PM about Roe deer.

I agree I was over at the same time and actually met Gerry. I have nothing to say good about my experience with splitting image I sent payment for my stuff in October and haven’t yet received word that they’re ready. Everytime I ask I’ve been told they’re waiting on permits. It also took over a month of poor contact for me just to be able to send them money. Is this the new normal for all Africa or just splitting image?
It is certainly not abnormal. They do move at a different pace than we do. There are challenges in getting export permits but months and years go by and it is just ridiculous.
As far as I know I still hold the record for shipping of dip and pack. It was from Namibia and after giving the outfitter a talking to he must have pulled some strings. 30 days from my departure from Namibia my trophies were in Texas! So I personally call BS on all their excuses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RochelleAl

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!