Shipping large caliber ammunition

Rpshan

Reaction score
I made a post recently about acquiring some ammunition and I found a few people (totally unrelated to this forum) willing to make some sales of 700 nitro and 4 bore ammo, but the question now arises how how I can safely get these items shipped to me without it being confiscated or something? They seemed to want to deal in person but it’s a 7 hour drive one way.
I was told by someone that UPS would scan the package and i would never wind up getting it.
Someone else said if I shipped it USPS ground advantage and the seller just didn’t declare it, I would be fine and receive it.
How do people buy and trade these rounds shipping wise? As far as I see, you’re not allowed to ship ammo with anyone over 50bmg so I’m just trying to understand. Or is it just always a risk? Any experience or knowledge would be greatly appreciated
Edit: both of us are private citizens not manufacturers or anything

I get ammo all the time via UPS.

I got some this week that came FedEx.

The USPS will not allow the shipment of firearms or ammo.

Last edited:

1713009451809.png

UPS always. USPS never.

Has to go GROUND. Takes a few extra days.

Has to go GROUND. Takes a few extra days.
They don’t wllo shipments of ammo over 50 cal. Look at their website. Again, I was told they would scan and confiscate packages like that

They don’t wllo shipments of ammo over 50 cal. Look at their website. Again, I was told they would scan and confiscate packages like that

The "spirit" of their rule is to prohibit the shipment of large military-type ammo such 20mm or 25mm cannon ammo that might have explosive projectiles.

12 gauge slugs are around .700 caliber and UPS carries millions of rounds of it every week.

I've shipped quite a bit of ammo and they never ask or demand that you tell the exact type.

I would just type in "hunting ammunition" and not give it a second thought.

If you order this:

It will come via UPS or FedEx

Attachments

• 577 Snider Enfield Ammo - New Production! - Old South Ammo.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 11
I'm no expert, but I believe the truth is somewhere between the points of "officially you can't ship it because it's over 50 cal" and what @Safari Dave said that the "spirit" is to prevent HE stuff. Which means, it'd probably get through, but there's a bit of risk to it and you'd have to judge the risk for yourself.

The other consideration, is how would a manufacturer ship it from point A to B. They are probably using a common carrier for that, so would they be doing it by agreement? A hazmat endorsement? TBH I don't know, but there's some kind of answer for how they are allowed to out there I bet.

I'm no expert, but I believe the truth is somewhere between the points of "officially you can't ship it because it's over 50 cal" and what @Safari Dave said that the "spirit" is to prevent HE stuff. Which means, it'd probably get through, but there's a bit of risk to it and you'd have to judge the risk for yourself.

The other consideration, is how would a manufacturer ship it from point A to B. They are probably using a common carrier for that, so would they be doing it by agreement? A hazmat endorsement? TBH I don't know, but there's some kind of answer for how they are allowed to out there I bet.
Yeah that’s what I’m trying to find out. From what I was told I could have the guy ship it to an ammo manufacturer and have them send it to me as a middle man but the issue is that we are both citizens without license to do so. Again, from what I heard from a manufacturer of this type of ammo

The "spirit" of their rule is to prohibit the shipment of large military-type ammo such 20mm or 25mm cannon ammo that might have explosive projectiles.

12 gauge slugs are around .700 caliber and UPS carries millions of rounds of it every week.

I've shipped quite a bit of ammo and they never ask or demand that you tell the exact type.

I would just type in "hunting ammunition" and not give it a second thought.

If you order this:

It will come via UPS or FedEx
Yeah I was told that they can send that because they have a license to sell / manufacture ammo.
So I was told I could have the guy ship to an ammo company as a middle man but I’m trying to avoid that.
I also feel like 4 bore is a little bigger than your average round and not in same category of buying the link you had sent

FedEx or ups, have online account, create label and pay for shipment, request home pickup, declare it limited and tape the half diamond on it, and they pick it up off your porch the next day. You don’t have to be home to sign anything. get a notification when they pick it up, track it until it gets to the destination. Done.

I asked this same question once @Rpshan "UPS & the .50" .. I've shipped private & receive from mfr's for the Jeffery, Nitro (.510) & 577 (.583) consistent. I also really didn't find a definitive answer ..

However,

Attachments

• 700 Nitro Express, %22 MINT, BRIGHT, LIVE!%22, JSP, One Cartridge, Not a Box! - Ammo-One1.pdf
    627.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Norma .500 Nitro Express Weldcore Soft Nose 570gr. for sale.pdf
    206.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I asked this same question once @Rpshan "UPS & the .50" .. I've shipped private & receive from mfr's for the Jeffery, Nitro (.510) & 577 (.583) consistent. I also really didn't find a definitive answer ..

However,

View attachment 599217
I have shipped a bunch of ammunition via UPS lately and have never been asked the question of what caliber it is? I’d bet if you just declare thats its ammunition and leave it at that you’re going to be fine

I have shipped a bunch of ammunition via UPS lately and have never been asked the question of what caliber it is? I’d bet if you just declare thats its ammunition and leave it at that you’re going to be fine
That's where I was trying to go, they never asked. Left it as is .. Thank you, just as well.

This isn't true. You can ship firearms (no handguns) with USPS as an individual (not having an FFL) following specific rules. Your post office will have some laminate cards on a key ring for the procedure on how to do it. When it comes to shipping firearms, FedEx and UPS are actually harder to ship as an individual than USPS. Ammo is easy to ship via USP and FedEx. Just print the diamond labels and attached to the side of the box.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadM1958

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.