Scopes for safari rifles

Meopta. I was shooting the Meopta Optika 1-6x24 on my 404 Jeff today. I would pair that with the 1.7-10x42 Meopta for plains game.

Both with No. 4 type reticles.

Meopta. I was shooting the Meopta Optika 1-6x24 on my 404 Jeff today. I would pair that with the 1.7-10x42 Meopta for plains game.

Both with No. 4 type reticles.
I just put a Meopta on my Tikka 30-06. I love this scope so far, especially at the price point. Mine is a 2.5-15x44 with the 30mm tube. I got the dichro tech BDC reticle, which I really like so far. Not illuminated but it's a coating on the glass that will alternate between a red & pale blue depending on the darkness of tha background. You can't argue with Schott glass for the price of a mid-range Vortex.

On my most recent trip I realized that my eyes are 60 years old....and not what they used to be! I had a Leupold 1.5 - 5 X 20's on my .458 Lott. The buff was is a shadow and I had a hard time getting on him. I think I would have been better off with a 3-9 x 40. In quick detach rings.

On my most recent trip I realized that my eyes are 60 years old....and not what they used to be! I had a Leupold 1.5 - 5 X 20's on my .458 Lott. The buff was is a shadow and I had a hard time getting on him. I think I would have been better off with a 3-9 x 40. In quick detach rings.
If you had an illuminated scope it would have been easier to put the dot where it belongs. Another thing is the quality of the glass. If you like Leupold and believe they are completely adequate, I urge you to NOT look through Zeiss, Swaro, S&B or Leica scopes for the sake of your bank account.

However I do agree with you that a little more magnification as we age is a good thing. I had a Swaro Z8i 1-8x24 on my 416RM and it was perfect for me. I sold the 416RM and it's now on my 375H&H.

I like the Z6 1X6 scopes. I have them on both of my go-to rifles, a .416 Rem., chose illuminated reticle, and the identical scope, sans illuminated, on a M70 .30-06. The illuminated has a small circle at the juncture of the crosshairs and just isn't as precise, at least on paper. But I like it on the .416 because you aren't going to shoot over 300 yards, and I like the true one power. If you turn on the lights you basically have a red-dot for close work. You have six power if you need it and that's enough. Don't think I need the illuminated on the light rifle. I've shot my leopards with the .416, over the objection of one PH.

I used Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 x 24 with German #4 reticle on my 416 Rigby with QD rings on a CZ 550 and Trijicon Accupoint 2.5 10 x 56 with QD rings on a Ruger number 1 in 375 H&H. Both had illuminated reticles. A real bonus on a black target. And old eyes.

Then let me elaborate. At 100y or less, off hand, I can shoot an open sighted rifle just as accurately as anyone with a scoped rifle.
Not true. Go to a rimfire Silhouette match where they shoot out to 100 meters and see how you do with iron sights. I have two rifles for this, one has a 36x and the other has a 40x scope. I see you belong to Gray's Harbor gun club in Washington state. Washington state is very strong in Silhouette shooting and they have some of the top shooters in the USA. You ought to check them out and participate. No way iron sights outshoots someone who knows how to use a scope.

I believe you have taken an excellent choice. I have the same scope but in 3-12x50 and it is magnificent. Congratulations on the choice.

Best regards, Jorge.

I handled a Nightforce ATACR 1-8, I really liked it. Not to many US made scopes anymore but I'd say the ones Nightforce makes in the US are all extremely rugged and well made. Plus I'm just a fan of FFP scopes with MIL reticles in general.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wildwillalaska

Latest profile posts

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.