Scope Setting for Cape Buffalo?

Tex .416

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Question for those with experience using an optic for Cape buffalo.

If the buff is in a relatively open area and the shot is 100 yards, to what power should the scope be set? Turning it up will make shot placement easier, but if it decides to run at the hunter, then starting off low even at 1x would seem preferable as there might not be time to turn it down. This makes me wonder if a red dot is a better option over a scope even for a relatively longer distance shot?

Depends on caliber...
100 yards is a long way for Cape Buffalo....
Run at the hunter from 100 yards.....never known that to happen......if it does you have ample time to crank to 1x......
Always have the scope on lowest setting if the situation allows you can always crank it up a bit....
1 to 6 is ideal.....

Last edited:
I run a Trijicon 1x6 Accupoint on my Winchester 375 H&H. For my buffalo I kept it on 1, for my PG I turned it up as needed. If you’re taking a 100 yard shot on buff, I think you’re safe to turn it up.

Depends on caliber...
100 yards is a long way for Cape Buffalo....
Run at the hunter from 100 yards.....never known that to happen......if it does you have ample time to crank to 1x......
Always have the scope on lowest setting if the situation allows you can always crank it up a bit....
1 to 6 is ideal.....
Understand about the scope magnification range choice, but the question is what power to set it to take a shot? Up close in thick stuff, low power is the obvious choice, but farther out, turn it up to 6x or 8x or leave it turned down? If the answer is from a longer distance in an open area they are never going to run at the hunter, then turning it up is the obvious answer.

The reason for the question is I am working on plans to hunt in more open country. The rifle will be in .416 Rigby. Working up loads, a big scope will be up top, but the question is looking forward to hunting, hopefully in an area with more grasslands than thick brush.

Simple....leave it on 1x....if you get on the sticks and need more crank it up a bit and shoot....
X8 is too much for buff....1 to 6 is the way to go....

I have Leupold VX5s in 1-5 on my rifles that would ever be used on DG. Being able to dial up to 5 or 6 power can be an advantage when trying to sort out a shooting lane in thick cover. In the open at 100 yards, I’d try to get closer if at all possible. As mentioned if the buff is at. 100 yards and is headed your way you’d have plenty of time to turn down to lowest setting and make another shot as needed.

Even on buff at 100 yds, I'd leave the optic at 1x, maybe 2x. I have a fixed 2x on the rifle I took my Buff and Ele this past year and will likely be swapping it out for an SRO. Didn't feel as if I needed any more magnification at the distances I wanted to hunt them at.

I used a 1-4 x 24 Triicon Accupoint. I left it on 1 power for the buffalo at 70 yards. I never changed the power setting on royal sable at !00 yards and giraffe at 80 yards. I saw no need to change anything. The scope had a illuminated dot with a German #4 reticle. It was very easy to shoot with both eyes open allowing for peripheral vision.

I shot this one at 110 yards with 375 and Leopold 3-9x turned down to 3x. My PH usually doesn't allow clients to shoot at buffalo beyond 70 yards but he was confident I could do it. One shot through the heart.

3x is good for 100 yards. 1x might be dicey at that range. I'm thinking 1-4x scope would be ideal.
2019-08-26 buffalo posed(2).JPG

Over the last sixty years I shot a ton of big game in very thick bush with fixed 3x Weaver scope, most closer than seventy yards. Anyway, the OP plans on hunting buff in more open country and anticipating 100 yard shots. 3x worked fine for me twenty yards to 100 yards, but a variable that will turn down to 1.5x will be best.

The 375 I normally hunt with is set-up with a 3-15x44. It’s always on 3x and I’ve killed multiple buffalo with it. Under 10 yards I don’t really aim so much as point.

I’m also not shooting a buffalo at distance unless it’s wounded. The fun in buffalo hunting is getting close

From highly experienced buffalo hunter.....
Or from the self proclaimed PH. I disagree with Ontario Hunter the vast majority of the time but nothing wrong with the advice he gave in this case. A hunter thinking they needed to hunt buffalo on 1x or open sights has probably resulted in more dangerous situations from a wounded buffalo than a hunter with a more powerful scope used on the first shot.

I’ve only shot one buff - it was at 40 yards and I had my scope on 1x the entire time. Second shot was at 12 yards - still on 1x. From what little I know about DG, your PH will most likely try to get you within 50 yards for initial shot. I too like the option of 6x for a 100 yard shot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AudraQ7266

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you