Scope & Reflex sight

In IPSC matches they are quoting, in PCC division people are shooting 9mm. As mentioned before 3-gun is 5.56. Very low recoiling rounds.

With no cheek weld I think you are looking for some hurt on a .375 H&H. But, try it and see. ;)

View attachment 360331
I agree. Furthermore, I just don't see how anyone finds that sight in a high stress situation like a charge. Rifle comes up, no cheek weld of any type, and precious tenths of a second are lost trying to locate the sight rather than instantly and instinctively engaging the target.

Just set the scope on 1x and turn on the dot. You will be much better prepared for a close encounter.

In IPSC matches they are quoting, in PCC division people are shooting 9mm. As mentioned before 3-gun is 5.56. Very low recoiling rounds.

With no cheek weld I think you are looking for some hurt on a .375 H&H. But, try it and see. ;)

View attachment 360331

I don't know if I would be that brave! I was hoping to find someone else that had tried

I'm quite interested in the scope and red dot option but I think a red dot and low powered variable are pointless.

If you think you will need to shoot quickly, walk around with the scope on lowest zoom. If you need more zoom, you almost certainly have time to wind the scope up.

Where I think a red dot and a scope might be useful is if you have a fixed scope or a zoom with a relatively high lowest mag setting.

I am wondering about using a red dot on my 8x56 I use for low light / pigs at night work for example as the 8x is not great if you jump something on the way into or out of your highseat.

View attachment 360331

I would not do the above.

He has the red dot in the 12 o'clock position on the rifle and has to lift his head to use it. - I would be tempted to have the red dot at the 9 o'clock position so you could shut your right eye, use the left through the red dot, and keep your cheek weld intact (for a right handed shooter that is).

Scrummy

This might work

1596217018253.png

Keeps your Elevation and Windage correct for your red dot....

This might work

View attachment 360433
Keeps your Elevation and Windage correct for your red dot....
He has an illuminated variable scope that does 1x. He is fine. These various add ons are at best redundant and worst actually dangerous.

He has an illuminated variable scope that does 1x. He is fine. These various add ons are at best redundant and worst actually dangerous.
I agree, for that gentleman I would recommend something rather different

Given we have been talking about red dot and scope combos I thought I would have a little experiment: will keep you posted.

Following my last post, I wanted to update you on my progress, or should I say none progress made with the Iron sights, I approach a few gunsmiths. After being palmed off or redirected I ended up corresponding with an experienced gunsmith in the UK, the problem would be having to export the rile to the UK and the associated cost for a specialized courier was very high. I did a bit of ready up and came across hunters who have adopted a two sight approach for driven hunts in Europe. They top their primary optic with a red dot or reflex sight. The two scope approach allows the hunter to be prepared for all scenarios. If their allocated stand was in thick woodland and quick target acquisition would be required, they could use the reflex sight, or if their position was open terrain, they could revert to their primary scope. I thought this solution could work well for a DG game hunting. You do need to adjust your cheek wield upwards on the stock to use the reflex sight effectively. Has Anyone tried this before?

View attachment 360137View attachment 360138View attachment 360139
Nice oryx head you have there

Following my last post, I wanted to update you on my progress, or should I say none progress made with the Iron sights, I approach a few gunsmiths. After being palmed off or redirected I ended up corresponding with an experienced gunsmith in the UK, the problem would be having to export the rile to the UK and the associated cost for a specialized courier was very high. I did a bit of ready up and came across hunters who have adopted a two sight approach for driven hunts in Europe. They top their primary optic with a red dot or reflex sight. The two scope approach allows the hunter to be prepared for all scenarios. If their allocated stand was in thick woodland and quick target acquisition would be required, they could use the reflex sight, or if their position was open terrain, they could revert to their primary scope. I thought this solution could work well for a DG game hunting. You do need to adjust your cheek wield upwards on the stock to use the reflex sight effectively. Has Anyone tried this before?

View attachment 360137View attachment 360138View attachment 360139
Can I ask which gunsmith in the UK you found to do the work?

@Gareth , if you want to get the 375 to the U.K. economically. Get a N.I. Visitors permit And a European Firearms Pass. Take it to a RFD in Norn Ireland. He can then post it to the mainland as they call it. Work is done, posted back. You collect or get it couriered to you.
I’ve seen this done plenty of times, it works.

View attachment 360331
Yeah I would not mount it like that.

That to me looks more like for the guys who want to shoot at high magnification and have a red dot to help them get on target quicker.

Scrummy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg