Scope recommendations on a .404J

Creigh

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Greetings all. Been scratching around for a scope for my .404 Jeffrey. I like Leupold and would mind another. The VX-Freedom 1.5 - 4 or VX3-HD 1.5 - 5 looks worth while. If you think there's any other brand I should look at let me know.

Do you think I'm 'under scope' for this caliber? My thinking is it's mostly iron sights anyway, making a quick release a handy must have.

Thanks

I have a VX-R 1.25-4x20 on mine - very happy with it. Like the dot. Sadly discontinued now.

There's a store down the road from me with an old'ish Leupold scope in the window. What are the odds it's a VX-R. I'll check with them tomorrow.

There's a store down the road from me with an old'ish Leupold scope in the window. What are the odds it's a VX-R. I'll check with them tomorrow.

Hope your luck pans out (y)

I got myself a Kahles 1-5x24i

I love the fine crosshair compared to other brands (including Swarovski).

Mounted via EAW

1000031630.jpg

Attachments

• KAHLES: Riflescopes.pdf
    593.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
3CDB4115-C7B2-4221-94EE-64ECEB7AF7B3.jpeg

Nikon Monarch African or Monarch 3 on each of my big thumpers, including the 404J. Indestructible. You’ll have to go the used route, but they can be found.

I have one of the discontinued Swarovski z6i 1-6 EE scopes. It is probably my favorite scope to look through, and it is perfect for big bore rifles.

There is a for sale ad on here with a couple of those available. Pretty stout prices for them, but value is in the eye of the purchaser. Regardless, they can be found on here and elsewhere with a little patience. Always do your due diligence if purchasing online from a private seller.

All of these look like great options.

I think you are on the right track selecting either 1-4 or 1.5-6. For the ranges you will be using that caliber, a Christmas tree reticle is not necessary. I'm not into lighted reticle either. Something to break down. I cannot foresee me shooting at a buffalo in waning light. My PHs generally stop the hunt well before dusk. I shot my first buffalo rather late in the afternoon (note the long shadows).
2019-08-26 buffalo posed(1).JPG

Later during the long drive to the lodge I asked about that. "Glad I didn't muff the shot. Following a blood trail for one of those critters in the dark could be exciting." He chuckled. "Pat, that's just not done. We'd come back for it in the morning." But the meat would surely be spoiled if it died during the nigh? "Is what it is. No one is going to get killed over a pile of buffalo meat." So you were okay with me taking the shot? "We knew you could shoot." However, since then we have always quit well before shadows are long. Indeed, that day we caught the herd in the open as we were walking out.

Last edited:
I think you are on the right track selecting either 1-4 or 1.5-6. For the ranges you will be using that caliber, a Christmas tree reticle is not necessary. I'm not into lighted reticle either. Something to break down. I cannot foresee me shooting at a buffalo in waning light. My PHs generally stop the hunt well before dusk. I shot my first buffalo rather late in the afternoon (note the long shadows).
View attachment 580299
Later during the long drive to the lodge I asked about that. "Glad I didn't muff the shot. Following a blood trail for one of those critters in the dark could be exciting." He chuckled. "Pat, that's just not done. We'd come back for it in the morning." But the meat would surely be spoiled if it died during the nigh? "Is what it is. No one is going to get killed over a pile of buffalo meat." So you were okay with me taking the shot? "We knew you could shoot." However, since then we have always quit well before shadows are long. Indeed, that day we caught the herd in the open as we were walking out.
At what distance did you take that shot? Do you remember the magnification? Forgive me, I'm a detailed kind of guy.

At what distance did you take that shot? Do you remember the magnification? Forgive me, I'm a detailed kind of guy.
Shot it with borrowed 375 wearing 3-9x Leopold turned down to 3x. Distance was 110 yards which was a long shot for buffalo. One shot into the heart facing me.

I have been well served with Trijicon on my 404 Jeff and 416 Rigby.

Reactions: RLL
I have a VX5 1-5x24 on mine.

I have a Swarovski Z6 EE 1-6×24 on my custom bolt and Nikon Moarch African 1-4×24 on my single shot. Both have the German #4 reticle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTup

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.