Scope for my .375 H&H

My bush 375 H & H gas a 1.25 -5 x20 Swarovski illuminated reticle scope..use this for DG
My other 375 H & H has a LYNX 3-9 x 42 for Plains game. Will be replacing this LYNX with a VORTEX scope soon.
My 458 WM fitted with 1-6 x24 VORTEX scope and QD rings.
VORTEX have incredible glass and are the same family as Swarovski but with a much less price tag.
Are you using the Razor glass?

Phil, getting back to using a Leupold 2.5-8, can't you use a different set of bases that allows you to get the ring spacing you need?

Yep, found extended bases.

Are you using the Razor glass?

Also interested - just picked up some Vortex products myself. A Razor Gen II 4-27x56 for long range stuff, and a 1-8x24 Strike Eagle.

Also interested - just picked up some Vortex products myself. A Razor Gen II 4-27x56 for long range stuff, and a 1-8x24 Strike Eagle.
Curious as to what you are putting the Strike Eagle on. Vortex reps said it should have no problem with recoil from 45-70 or 375 H&H. 1-8 power would seem to be optimum on the 375 for buffalo at 20 feet or eland at 200 yards. Glass is closer to Diamondback than Viper, so we will have to see how it works at 200 yards.

Curious as to what you are putting the Strike Eagle on. Vortex reps said it should have no problem with recoil from 45-70 or 375 H&H. 1-8 power would seem to be optimum on the 375 for buffalo at 20 feet or eland at 200 yards. Glass is closer to Diamondback than Viper, so we will have to see how it works at 200 yards.

I got a good deal on it, so I bought it before asking around, but my hope was to use it on a Mod 70 in 416 Rem to use as my DG rifle on future safaris. If not, I have an AR that I can use it on to make a heck of a coyote gun.

I got a good deal on it, so I bought it before asking around, but my hope was to use it on a Mod 70 in 416 Rem to use as my DG rifle on future safaris. If not, I have an AR that I can use it on to make a heck of a coyote gun.
I found a good deal on one myself, then I finally came across a review that noted the edge distortion and lack of clarity. I have too many Diamondbacks like that sitting on the shelf, so I cancelled the order. I am going with a Leupold VX-R 2 x 7 for $70 more. I was tempted to step up to the Vortex Razor HD LH, but I am not buying another Vortex product without looking through the one I am buying. I hope you draw a good one -- some of that Diamondback glass is usable.

Both of my DG rifles have Leupolds my 375 uses 4x14 and a Old Burris 1x4, my 404Jeff sports a Leopold 1x4 both rifles have open sites and QD rings. I shoot my 375 quite a bit and have never had a problem with either the scopes or the rings which are QDs.

I found a good deal on one myself, then I finally came across a review that noted the edge distortion and lack of clarity. I have too many Diamondbacks like that sitting on the shelf, so I cancelled the order. I am going with a Leupold VX-R 2 x 7 for $70 more. I was tempted to step up to the Vortex Razor HD LH, but I am not buying another Vortex product without looking through the one I am buying. I hope you draw a good one -- some of that Diamondback glass is usable.
I have a few friends who have tried the Strike Eagles and like them quite a bit. I've looked through it at the house it have no complaints yet - but holding off judgement until I can get it mounted and send some lead downrange.

I also have ordered a Sig Sauer Tango6 1-6x24 (supposed to be their higher end series, with pretty decent glass - Japanese made I believe) for a good price, so I'll have a couple options.

I have a few friends who have tried the Strike Eagles and like them quite a bit. I've looked through it at the house it have no complaints yet - but holding off judgement until I can get it mounted and send some lead downrange.

I also have ordered a Sig Sauer Tango6 1-6x24 (supposed to be their higher end series, with pretty decent glass - Japanese made I believe) for a good price, so I'll have a couple options.
I am playing musical scopes. The illuminated Leupold 1.5 - 6 x 20 is moving from the 375 to the 450/400. The new VX-R is going on the .375 H&H and will match the scope on the 9.3x74r. I do not plan to exceed 100 yards with the 450/400. The other two big bores can go way out there reasonably. Now I will work on my smaller rifles ... where is that Tasco?

I thought to bring to the attention of the US AH members that now it's a good time to get some good deals on the Leupold VX-6 scopes since the new VX-6HD have rolled out.
The thing I like most on them is the constant eye relief regarding the zoom factor. Also a 2-12 is awesome for close up shoots as well as a long ones - perfect for a 375 H&H.
Most of retailers have already sold out the old models, but Natchez still has a few available.

https://www.natchezss.com/catalogse...-6#dir=asc&istock=202997&limit=64&order=price

Screenshot (5).png

Last edited by a moderator:
Just returned from South Africa--I used a browning a bolt 375 with Talley mounts and a vx2 3x9 40 Good eye relief--took an impala at 205 yes and a sable at 85. There is better brighter glass available but this set up worked well for me. That is a good deal on the vx 6 mentioned above!!

Just returned from South Africa--I used a browning a bolt 375 with Talley mounts and a vx2 3x9 40 Good eye relief--took an impala at 205 yes and a sable at 85. There is better brighter glass available but this set up worked well for me. That is a good deal on the vx 6 mentioned above!!
I use a Leupold VX 3 1.75 X 6 X 40. HAD IT on my 416 Rem 1st and then moved it to my 375. Works great out to 200 yes plus. Hunted for years with several straight 6x at some pretty good ranges. Now as the eyes get older I do prefer a little more magnification. Have lots of Swarovskis, Zeiss, Kahles and a bunch of Leupold. For the price you can't beat Leupold.

I was already leaning towards the Leupold. I have a couple of the Zeiss Conquest series scopes that when I bought them I felt surpassed the Vari-X III's. But when I decided to put a scope on my Tikka I got for this past summer's trip to Africa, the new VX3 was out and it beats the pants off the Conquest for brightness and clarity.

So which would you go for, the 1.5-5 or the 2.5-8?

Oh by the way the rings I put on the rifle are the Warne Quick Detach type. I put my 3.5-10 VX3 on it just for breaking in the rifle until I put a permanent scope on it. The length of the scope nearly was a problem, it sits just a touch behind the rear sight. Off to the range this weekend to see how the rifle shoots at a 100 yards.

My bush 375 H & H gas a 1.25 -5 x20 Swarovski illuminated reticle scope..use this for DG
My other 375 H & H has a LYNX 3-9 x 42 for Plains game. Will be replacing this LYNX with a VORTEX scope soon.
My 458 WM fitted with 1-6 x24 VORTEX scope and QD rings.
VORTEX have incredible glass and are the same family as Swarovski but with a much less price tag.

I have a leupold on my 416. Does everything I could ask for. I'm going put one on my 338 win mag. Good glass for the price.

I find a burris 5-25×50 works very well on my 375 H&H out to 600 yards elk , mule deer.

not sure if you found anything yet, but two scopes that stick out in my mind are on different ends of the spectrum as far as budget goes. i've been texting this scope: Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32 Riflescope G4 BDC Scope 6638. it's performed well on a 45-70 and a 280 AI in texting. i like the optics, the reticle is nice, and it's a 1.5-8 in a 1 inch tube which surprised me. it's nice and light and a 1 inch tube scope with that mag range is impressive. i like it a lot.

That said, my mind also goes to the upper end of the spectrum. I've had hunters go to Africa and Alaska with this scope on 338 win mags and 375 h&h: Swarovski Z6i 1.7-10x42 BT 4A-I Riflescope Black 69237. the optics are nice, you can make a long shot if you need to, and for close shots the 1.7 has a nice wide field of view. i really like the illumination system, it has 2 adjustable settings, one for low light and one for bright conditions/walking around to get on target quickly. it's just a good all around scope.

375 H&H Magnum is not just a short range round , by far. Using the proper bullets (Cutting Edge) out to 1500 yds.

I have a Trijicon 1-6 with the single post & green triangle on my Sako Kodiak 375. LOVE IT. Very FAST to use & plenty accurate for my needs.

Will you elaborate? What do you mean by Vortex being in the same family as Swarovski? Not trying to pick a fight but that makes absolutely no sense to me.

Graham Hunter said:
I use a Leupold VX 3 1.75 X 6 X 40. HAD IT on my 416 Rem 1st and then moved it to my 375. Works great out to 200 yes plus. Hunted for years with several straight 6x at some pretty good ranges.

Did you mean 1.75-6x32? I have one that I had the Leupold Custom Shop put a German #4 in. Definitely one of my favorite scopes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois