Scrumbag

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
BASC, SCI
Hunted
Europe
Hi folks there have been a couple of threads recently discussing the possible combination of mounting a scope and a red dot sight.

Some of this seems to have crossed over from the IPSC / "Practical shooting" world.

Recently a UK based Youtube Fieldsports channel did some features on using an offset red dot with a scope for quick shots

Whilst I'm not sure if you need the red dot in combination with a scope that goes down to ~2x, it seems it might have more application if you have a fixed scope of higher magnification, say 6x / 7x / 8x

In Europe, and becoming more so in the UK, an 8x56 scope is becoming more popular for shooting wild boar at night. Of course an 8x mag scope isn't so good for dealing with something you might bump or see at close range when you are sneaking into your highseat / stand.

So, in light of this I have set my .22 lr bolt action up to see at 50 yds what I can do with a red dot mounted on the side of my 8x56 scope

OSCNKFz.jpg

A2LrLW9.jpg

yskA4tT.jpg

I will try and have a play with this next week and report back.

Scrummy

Hi folks there have been a couple of threads recently discussing the possible combination of mounting a scope and a red dot sight.

Some of this seems to have crossed over from the IPSC / "Practical shooting" world.

Recently a UK based Youtube Fieldsports channel did some features on using an offset red dot with a scope for quick shots

Whilst I'm not sure if you need the red dot in combination with a scope that goes down to ~2x, it seems it might have more application if you have a fixed scope of higher magnification, say 6x / 7x / 8x

In Europe, and becoming more so in the UK, an 8x56 scope is becoming more popular for shooting wild boar at night. Of course an 8x mag scope isn't so good for dealing with something you might bump or see at close range when you are sneaking into your highseat / stand.

So, in light of this I have set my .22 lr bolt action up to see at 50 yds what I can do with a red dot mounted on the side of my 8x56 scope

OSCNKFz.jpg

A2LrLW9.jpg

yskA4tT.jpg

I will try and have a play with this next week and report back.

Scrummy
Best of luck with it. Have you had a go at a range with it? It's a similar setup to what I had in the service. Should work with lower recoil calibers wouldn't want to use it on my 416 Rigby

Best of luck with it. Have you had a go at a range with it? It's a similar setup to what I had in the service. Should work with lower recoil calibers wouldn't want to use it on my 416 Rigby

Thanks. Not shot it yet, hopefully in the next week or so.

I'm not planning on putting it on a seriously hard kicker. I will tentatively try on my 7x64 as that is the rifle I am most likely to use for wild boar from a highseat with the 8x56

Scrummy

I'm with @norfolk shooter.
I believe this application is limited to light recoiling rifles.
Not lightweight, or small caliber...light recoiling.
And that will differ with each person/rifle/caliber combination.

The more recoil, the more critical stock fit is.
Flipping the rifle 90 or 45 degrees will severely alter this.
7x64 may be about my personal limit.
I wish you the best of luck with it.

Looking forward to your findings.

Hi Folks,

Well I am going to finally get around to doing this.

Have since seen a couple more videos on guys using red dots and the 3 O'clock position seems favoured.

Scrummy

This arrangement is gaining popularity in the tactical world but I'm not crazy about it for purposes of accuracy and managing recoil when we're shooting at live animals.

What I do like very much is the traditional german claw mounts and pivot mounts for an optic, and a second reflex sight fitted to the same front saddle. Thus, you could quick detach your telescopic sight and replace it (while maintaining zero) with a reflex sight for close and/or low-light work.

I've seen some 3 gun shooters use this dual setup but it seems to me that a good illuminated reticle would be more practical in the field. You've got the best of both without another sight hanging off the side.

My concern is this setup with high recoil rifles. An AR or grandpa’s 7x57 is one thing, but a 500Jeff is another animal entirely. I foresee a broken nose.

My concern is this setup with high recoil rifles. An AR or grandpa’s 7x57 is one thing, but a 500Jeff is another animal entirely. I foresee a broken nose.
Or some excess parts and pieces flying around.

This arrangement is gaining popularity in the tactical world but I'm not crazy about it for purposes of accuracy and managing recoil when we're shooting at live animals.

What I do like very much is the traditional german claw mounts and pivot mounts for an optic, and a second reflex sight fitted to the same front saddle. Thus, you could quick detach your telescopic sight and replace it (while maintaining zero) with a reflex sight for close and/or low-light work.
This is one of the things I want to see if I can do accurately with a .22 lr at 50yds

(Try and keep it accurately in a 5" disk at 50 yds type thing in a reasonable time coming from slung).

German claw mounts are pretty good though I have had decent results with quality Picatinny / Weaver mounts.

That could be an option I suppose. Put the red dot sight on for coming in / out of the stand and swap to the 8x56 for sitting

Scrummy

Oh this would be on the Deer / Plains game rifle, wouldn't put it on my 404 Jeff for sure

(In fact, this will do on another classic chambering, 7x64)

Last edited:
I've seen some 3 gun shooters use this dual setup but it seems to me that a good illuminated reticle would be more practical in the field. You've got the best of both without another sight hanging off the side.
Oh I agree, wouldn't put this on a zoom rifle scope with a low bottom end magnification.

Just those 8x56 Swaros are perhaps the best low natural light scope but not great for quick target acquisition.

Scrummy

In my former career, they were common. Some guys swore by them; others swore at them. I have always tried to keep it simple. I found a low power scope with an illuminated reticle or dot served me well and eliminated the need for multiple optics.

I had a Weapon's man that had everything short of an expresso maker on the rails of his M4. He swore by all of it and oddly enough was proficient with it all. His M4 weighed more than an M240.

Hi Folks,

Well I am going to finally get around to doing this.

Have since seen a couple more videos on guys using red dots and the 3 O'clock position seems favoured.

Scrummy

@Scrumbag
You pommys come up with weird ideas.
In Australia we would buy the right scope with an illuminated dot reticle in the power range we want. Say 1 to 8 x 34 . That way we can hold the rifle properly at all times.
Next you will want a red dot on one side of your scope plus a tactical light on the other side and don't forget the ghost ring on top with an ultra high front sight incase the other shit fails.
Scrummy just keep it simple mate, makes life easier

Oh I agree, wouldn't put this on a zoom rifle scope with a low bottom end magnification.

Just those 8x56 Swaros are perhaps the best low natural light scope but not great for quick target acquisition.

Scrummy
@Scrumbag
And there's something wrong with the 8x56 Doctor or kahles.

@Scrumbag
In Australia we would buy the right scope with an illuminated dot reticle in the power range we want. Say 1 to 8 x 34 . That way we can hold the rifle properly at all times.
Next you will want a red dot on one side of your scope plus a tactical light on the other side and don't forget the ghost ring on top with an ultra high front sight incase the other shit fails.
Agree. For hunting as opposed to forced entry, just get an illuminated dot reticle scope with a 1 or 1.5 lower range. Crank it up when you want to shoot far. Simple and no strange cheek welds or aiming techniques.

@Scrumbag
In some ways you are right my friend. Issue is a 1-8x24 just won't work so well in low light as fixed 8x56 (in my experience, very little will).

Scrummy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.