Scirocco

ack

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Has any body use this bullett on African plains game..Rifle is a 30/06..I am considering it in Rem factory ammo..Thanks

Tried it. Could not get it to shoot worth beans out of my rifle. Sorry I have no further news.

started using sciroccoII's in Sako ammo recently in my 300wm, shooting nicely. havent taken anything with it yet. was using norma a-frames for a bit before that and these are more accurate.
hope someone can chime in with more useful info

I used the Swift Scirocco in a 300 RUM for plains game,
Swift A Frame (375 H&H) for DG and they both perform great.....

ACK,
I experienced an epic fail with a 1st generation scirocco on a gemsbok accounting for the second of two animals I have ever not recovered. The shot was at about 120 yards and took him off his feet. He jumped up and was out of my area(white sands missile range). The military game warden would not let me pursue him further than my boundary regardless of the blood trail.
That being said I only used them for practicing on jack rabbits after that. A swift bullet rep gave me a large supply of scirocco II after I relayed my impression of the bullet to him. I have shot an elk with a II and the bullet performed just fine.
I do prefer an Accubond to the Scirocco though.
Good luck,
Cody

Thanks everybody for the info...The other bullet that looks very good is the Trophy Bonded tip by Federal ...Used Nosler Partition last time and they worked pretty well but not totally sold on them..

I have used factory Remington 338WM and they worked just fine.

I shot a 180 gn Scirocco out of my 300 Win Mag in Namibia several years ago. Handled everything from a black mamba all the way up to a mature Eland Bull. Great bullet.
Thanks for your reply..I recently ordered some to take to Namibia this year after trying a few for grouping..I was amazed how accurate they were out of a Tika and a Weatherby ultra- light

I shot a 180 gn Scirocco out of my 300 Win Mag in Namibia several years ago. Handled everything from a black mamba all the way up to a mature Eland Bull. Great bullet.

Thanks for your reply..I recently ordered some to take to Namibia this year after trying a few for grouping..I was amazed how accurate they were out of a Tika and a Weatherby ultra- light

I'm amazed you guys got them to fly well. Easily the most frustrating bullet I've worked with. Any load data you'd like to share?

Have used some 130's in my 6.5X47. Almost 2900 FPS and groups under 1/2 in my rifle. I took an antelope last yr and it preformed well. Likely to use it a bit this next yr. Love the rifle and how well it shots this bullet. Have wished I was taking it to africa this year. Bruce

Thanks everybody for the info...The other bullet that looks very good is the Trophy Bonded tip by Federal ...Used Nosler Partition last time and they worked pretty well but not totally sold on them..

Trophy bonded is fantastic ammo if you can find it. I scooped up a couple of boxes of discontinued Remington A-frames (swift) at a bargain price. They shoot well in my gun but not all.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammo/ballistics-test-best-300-win-mag-loads-market/

I started to create a thread, and this new system of AH finds a thread already made. So, I will avoid cluttering the virtual universe and just resurrect this one.

I have am going to try and get these Scirocco to work in my 308 Norma Magnum. The first thing I noticed was their length. This picture is of the 180 gr Woodleigh PP, 180 gr Scirocco and 180 A-frame. It's like looking at a parent standing with her two teenaged kids:

20201031_135246.jpg

I will see how if goes at the range tomorrow. I am using RL-19.

Looking forward to the range report. What rifle is your .308 Norma chambered in?
I have loaded Scirocco’s in a few rifles with mixed results. They shoot incredibly well in my .300 Short Mag. Never could get them to shoot at all in my .280 Rem.
Somewhere in between in the others I’ve tried.
Several things I found as I experimented with them that may be helpful to you. They don’t like fouling from other bullets. I had noticeably better results when starting from an absolutely clean bore (zero copper) and then laying down some fouling rounds with the Scirocco’s. Usually took about 5 rounds to start grouping well.
They seem to like some jump to the lands. No rifle/load combo I’ve ever tried grouped well starting at the standard .010 off lands. Had to push them deeper and get more jump. Normal? :E Shrug: Very interested to hear your experiences in this regard.
They do seem to preform well on game, although I have shot very few animals with them. Pretty comparable to an Accubond I would say.
Except for my .300 WSM I just load the Accubonds because they are a lot less tempermental. But if your rifle shoots them well I think the Scirocco’s are a great bullet.
What are your intended game animal(s)?

Looking forward to the range report. What rifle is your .308 Norma chambered in?

I built one from a Brno zkk-600 30-06.
I used a 24" Benchmark spiral fluted barrel.

They seem to like some jump to the lands. No rifle/load combo I’ve ever tried grouped well starting at the standard .010 off lands.

The Swift manual suggest 1/16 (0.063) when I set the A-frames to this my group shrunk noticeably. So, I am starting there.

What are your intended game animal(s)?

Anything smaller than moose basically. My area has both deer and moose. Bill Hober suggested sticking to the A-frame because of the potential for a moose. He felt it would do better on follow up shots. But, he suggested building one with the Scirocco bullet to use on smaller animals if moose is not a target. I wanted to use them on moose because they expand to a larger diameter.

I am experimenting with the ladder method for development (a string of single loads to find a "node") so, if that doesn't pan out for me I will go back to my typical three shot groups technique. But, I will certainly post results.

Extremely windy today. But, still a satisfactory trip to the range. At 200 yards one particular group of shots is about 2" . So that is great. The velocity for that group was between 2834 and 2877. What was really interesting was how they grouped relatively consistently all through the ladder. I think I quite like this bullet.
20201101_160311.jpg

Last edited:
I have used the 180 Scirocco 30/06 extensively in Africa. Somewhere around 2850 fps on my chronograph. Killed a lot of wildebeest, gemsbok, zebra and kudu with it. I use them and A-frames exclusively there. 56.5 grains of H4350 for both loads. Sciroccos and A-frames print 4" different at 100 yards for me. Would have to go look at my load book, but I think I am .030 to .050 off the lands for both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg