Scirocco

ack

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Has any body use this bullett on African plains game..Rifle is a 30/06..I am considering it in Rem factory ammo..Thanks

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Tried it. Could not get it to shoot worth beans out of my rifle. Sorry I have no further news.

PeteG

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
started using sciroccoII's in Sako ammo recently in my 300wm, shooting nicely. havent taken anything with it yet. was using norma a-frames for a bit before that and these are more accurate.
hope someone can chime in with more useful info

Billcollector

AH senior member
Reaction score
They are very accurate in my 30/06. Absolutely pummeled a leopard with them a few years ago. Some major shock with these things.

robertq

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
Life member of DSC, SCI, NRA, Rocky Mt Elk Foundation, American Hunter, Buck Masters & Ruffed Grouse Society
Hunted
Russia, Argentina, Canada & South Africa
I used the Swift Scirocco in a 300 RUM for plains game,
Swift A Frame (375 H&H) for DG and they both perform great.....

Bullthrower338

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
ACK,
I experienced an epic fail with a 1st generation scirocco on a gemsbok accounting for the second of two animals I have ever not recovered. The shot was at about 120 yards and took him off his feet. He jumped up and was out of my area(white sands missile range). The military game warden would not let me pursue him further than my boundary regardless of the blood trail.
That being said I only used them for practicing on jack rabbits after that. A swift bullet rep gave me a large supply of scirocco II after I relayed my impression of the bullet to him. I have shot an elk with a II and the bullet performed just fine.
I do prefer an Accubond to the Scirocco though.
Good luck,
Cody

ack

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the info...The other bullet that looks very good is the Trophy Bonded tip by Federal ...Used Nosler Partition last time and they worked pretty well but not totally sold on them..

James.Grage

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, ATA, PITA, NAHC, NAFC, DU, TU, DSC, SCI, RMEF
Hunted
USA - Canada -Tanzania, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I have used factory Remington 338WM and they worked just fine.

jdemocko

Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, Rocky Mt Elk Foundation
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
I shot a 180 gn Scirocco out of my 300 Win Mag in Namibia several years ago. Handled everything from a black mamba all the way up to a mature Eland Bull. Great bullet.

Reactions: ack

ack

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
I shot a 180 gn Scirocco out of my 300 Win Mag in Namibia several years ago. Handled everything from a black mamba all the way up to a mature Eland Bull. Great bullet.
Thanks for your reply..I recently ordered some to take to Namibia this year after trying a few for grouping..I was amazed how accurate they were out of a Tika and a Weatherby ultra- light

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa

Thanks for your reply..I recently ordered some to take to Namibia this year after trying a few for grouping..I was amazed how accurate they were out of a Tika and a Weatherby ultra- light

I'm amazed you guys got them to fly well. Easily the most frustrating bullet I've worked with. Any load data you'd like to share?

gillettehunter

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(4) New Zealand Zambia(2)
Have used some 130's in my 6.5X47. Almost 2900 FPS and groups under 1/2 in my rifle. I took an antelope last yr and it preformed well. Likely to use it a bit this next yr. Love the rifle and how well it shots this bullet. Have wished I was taking it to africa this year. Bruce

ack

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm amazed you guys got them to fly well. Easily the most frustrating bullet I've worked with. Any load data you'd like to share?
I don't normaly like Remington ammo but the stuff I got is Rem factory..It amazed me..Every rifle is different though..Good luck

lcq

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA CSSA
Hunted
Canada, RSA
Thanks everybody for the info...The other bullet that looks very good is the Trophy Bonded tip by Federal ...Used Nosler Partition last time and they worked pretty well but not totally sold on them..

Trophy bonded is fantastic ammo if you can find it. I scooped up a couple of boxes of discontinued Remington A-frames (swift) at a bargain price. They shoot well in my gun but not all.

http://www.rifleshootermag.com/ammo/ballistics-test-best-300-win-mag-loads-market/

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I’ll never hunt Africa, but give me please a Jack O’Connor hunt up high in the Canadian Rockies!
Just came from a hunt and already longing for the bush
JPmbogo wrote on yhc's profile.
I have factory loaded Hornady 450 NE 3 1/4 DGS that I am selling for not much more than the brass itself at $75/box - see my listing for same.
Justbryan wrote on Rafter JK's profile.
Get Crazy Larry yet? Wishing I had shot Alpine Ibex too!