Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zambia

SCI to Relocate Business, Member Services Office from Tucson to San Antonio​

October 31, 2023
This week, Safari Club International (SCI) announced its decision to relocate its North American office for business and member services from Tucson, Arizona, to San Antonio, Texas, in 2024. This move is a watershed moment in SCI’s history and heralds a new era of growth as we continue to be First for Hunters and champions of wildlife conservation across the nation and around the world.
SCI’s decision to relocate its Tucson office to San Antonio will enhance its operational efficiency while allowing for a greater strategic focus on SCI’s core mission. San Antonio will provide SCI with a more central geographic location for its stakeholders and membership while simultaneously allowing for even closer collaboration with the advocacy staff of SCI’s Armand and Mary Brachman Advocacy Center – the “Hunters’ Embassy” – in Washington, D.C.
“I am excited to make this announcement that reflects months of thoughtful deliberation and discussion,” said SCI CEO W. Laird Hamberlin. “This move will provide SCI with a wide range of benefits, including superior market conditions, the most hunter-friendly political environment, and an advantageous location for coordination with the widest variety of key partners. We look forward to SCI’s bright future in San Antonio!”

Attachments

• SCI to Relocate Business, Member Services Office from Tucson to San Antonio - Safari Club.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 48
Not sure this is a surprise for most members, especially if you are from Texas AND with DSC temporarily moving to Atlanta, although I believe DSC will maintain their offices in Dallas.

Interesting. Is there a courting scenario about to develop with DSC Atlanta while Dallas remodels the conventions center?

Interesting. Is there a courting scenario about to develop with DSC Atlanta while Dallas remodels the conventions center?
Doubtful DSC & HSC spilt from SCI and I don't see any consolidation. It's also puzzling that one of the reasons is its closer to DC. While that by milage is correct, there's no direct flights from SAT to Reagan National. Good luck on the 70 mile drive to Austin.

The only thing I can think is reducing payroll, with SCI & TTHA all at one location. However, it looks like the wildlife display is staying in Tucson.

At least they should balance out the politics of a few of the California political refugees flooding the state.

It was a nice museum in Tucson, hope they don't let is slide when the office relocates.

This sounds like a good move. When the convention was strictly in Nevada I think having an office out west made sense. Now that the convention will move around maybe Texas makes more sense for operations. I am not sure but there may be some cost savings associated with SCI owning Texas Trophy Hunters.

It could simply be the leaders of SCI no longer wanted to be in Tucson. The closer I get to retirement, the more and more I hate big cities. But I'd still rather live in Phoenix than I would Tucson (sorry if I offend any Tucson residents).

It would make communication with offices in D.C. a bit easier. We spend have the year on Pacific Standard Time (3 hours behind the east coast) and the other half (now thru spring) on Mountain Time (2 hours behind). We desert rebels don't observe DST. With now being on Central Time, there will always now only be a one hour difference.

At least they should balance out the politics of a few of the California political refugees flooding the state.
If the "California political refugees" are, in fact, political refugees, why are you concerned? They want to live in a more conservative political environment and enjoy the benefits... so why the angst?

It could simply be the leaders of SCI no longer wanted to be in Tucson. The closer I get to retirement, the more and more I hate big cities. But I'd still rather live in Phoenix than I would Tucson (sorry if I offend any Tucson residents).

It would make communication with offices in D.C. a bit easier. We spend have the year on Pacific Standard Time (3 hours behind the east coast) and the other half (now thru spring) on Mountain Time (2 hours behind). We desert rebels don't observe DST. With now being on Central Time, there will always now only be a one hour difference.
I certainly wouldn’t argue against someone that prefers Phoenix to Tucson. Our politics are terrible, but the upside is it keeps out a lot of business and growth so traffic is very easy here. Dealing with Phoenix traffic on a daily basis would take years off my life.

I also find it odd that part of the explanation is to be closer to DC…ummm I don’t think San Antonio is THAT close to DC to make that a very valid point. That’s just grasping at straws and, to me, hints that there are real reasons that they don’t want the public to know about.

If the "California political refugees" are, in fact, political refugees, why are you concerned? They want to live in a more conservative political environment and enjoy the benefits... so why the angst?
What you say makes sense but doesn't seem to play out well. I suspect a lot of California companies move and bring their Liberal leaning employees.

Another group comes for cheaper housing and taxes but never seems to reconcile the fact that the way they vote got them to the point they needed to leave. So they come to Texas but still vote Liberal.

I think a conservative or economic refugees from California may be more liberal than the average non-Californian. That will cause a California induced change in politics. Compare 2000 Bozeman, MT to 2023.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 12.08.02 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-11-20 at 12.08.02 AM.png
    92.4 KB · Views: 43
We have a saying here: Don't New York our Florida. I suspect the same applies: Don't California our Texas. So many people moved from the NE to Florida starting with Covid. Just appreciate that the lower costs, lower taxes, etc. are the reason you moved here. Don't go voting to increase costs and then wonder why it isn't so cheap anymore.

I think a conservative or economic refugees from California may be more liberal than the average non-Californian. That will cause a California induced change in politics. Compare 2000 Bozeman, MT to 2023.

The best thing about Bozeman? ... It's just minutes from Montana.

Is their anything good about Bozeman? Certainly not football!

Is their anything good about Bozeman? Certainly not football!

I had a pretty good steak there when passing through enroute from Virginia to Alaska.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulianneMo

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.