San Francisco Bay Halibut

Kevin, I'm amazed that a man of your stature and taste has never eaten Halibut. Some would argue that it is the best tasting fish there is. I just did a quick google search and found a 2023 price of $52.00 per Lb. Let's just say that it could be served on that train ride you and your wife went on a while back and there'd be nothing but smiles on the faces of the diners. LOL

Kevin, I'm amazed that a man of your stature and taste has never eaten Halibut. Some would argue that it is the best tasting fish there is. I just did a quick google search and found a 2023 price of $52.00 per Lb. Let's just say that it could be served on that train ride you and your wife went on a while back and there'd be nothing but smiles on the faces of the diners. LOL
Right Scott, you have convinced me, I am going to find halibut in this town somewhere. We have a chain called The Fishmonger, good place to start.

We were bear hunting in Prince William Sound a number of years ago. During a break from hunting I crashed in the V-berth. My buddies caught a 30ish pound halibut, fileted it, and threw it on the grill on our stern rail. I woke up to the smell of grilling fish. That was the best fish I have ever eaten.

Oh yes, you’re going to have some fine meals from those! Am I ever envious!

I like halibut and will be going to Alaska in July to get a variety of fish. Brought back a good mix of Alaskan fish from a Kodiak trip in 2021. We had it with eggs in the morning. In all honesty though it does not have a lot of flavor. It is very light and not fishy and takes on whatever spice or sauce you add. I would say the ling cod and rockfish we caught were a little more flavorful. But halibut is still good, especially if your not a big fish eater.

Nighthawk is right, we’ve been enjoying a stellar year on halibut and striped bass in San Francisco Bay and it should continue all summer. Here’s my son with a couple nice ‘buts from a trip last week, fishing on the New Huck Finn, which I’ve been chartering for over 25 years.
7F2AE680-F5FF-439D-BABA-2ACAA7FD2997.jpeg

I have fished halibut, rockfish, salmon and stripers on SF and Monterey bays quite a lot since I grew up in the Bay Area. These are great game fish and even better eating.

Have there been any predictions on Albacore this year?

Right Scott, you have convinced me, I am going to find halibut in this town somewhere. We have a chain called The Fishmonger, good place to start.
Kevin and other members,

Do yourselves a favor and procure some Halibut, especially Alaska Halibut,

Very mild tasting fish, delicate buttery texture, very enjoyable, and excellent protein profile. Cooks well as broiled baked and even fried in small portions.
In some ways, Halibut resembles KingClip
that I have enjoyed in South Africa.

Halibut is best from the cold waters of the North Pacific Oceans around Alaska.
Maybe the South Atlantic?

But I have slowly learned, many fisheries around the world can produce excellent fish eating, , given the season and water temperatures.

I have fished halibut, rockfish, salmon and stripers on SF and Monterey bays quite a lot since I grew up in the Bay Area. These are great game fish and even better eating.

Have there been any predictions on Albacore this year?
Some guys think the albacore may be in range more this year with the cooler temps we are seeing. I sure hope so as I haven’t been on a good albacore trip in a long time. We enjoyed some great days out of Moss Landing the last time they were close in Monterey Bay. I remember epic Albie days out of San Diego 20+ years ago. We once had a 400+ fish stop on the Excel. 32 anglers with rods bent for hours one afternoon about 200 miles straight west of San Diego.

Kevin and other members,

Do yourselves a favor and procure some Halibut, especially Alaska Halibut,

Very mild tasting fish, delicate buttery texture, very enjoyable, and excellent protein profile. Cooks well as broiled baked and even fried in small portions.
In some ways, Halibut resembles KingClip
that I have enjoyed in South Africa.

Halibut is best from the cold waters of the North Pacific Oceans around Alaska.
Maybe the South Atlantic?

But I have slowly learned, many fisheries around the world can produce excellent fish eating, , given the season and water temperatures.
This is dead on the money. If I'm in a good seafood restaurant and Alaskan Halibut is on the menu that's what I'm ordering every time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg