RWS TOG on big game?

Muskox

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Namibia, Australia, Spain, Germany, all over the United States
I am shooting a Blaser R8 in the 10.3x68 RWS round. I actually have two barrels. I have some 246 grain 10.3mm TOGs but I have not used them on game as my hunting area is a German federal one, and requires leadfree ammunition. My regional game keeper requires that bullet to be a deformation bullet.

I am planning an African safari for 2025 and I am thinking about using up these TOGS.

It looks like bullets for the .411 KDF/.405 WCF are made by Swift in 350 grains.

How would the TOG compare to the Swift A-Frame?

Tog is like a updated Starkmantel of older times .

Call it a strong version of Woodleigh .
The 246 grain bullet is made for the 10,3x Swiss

Why not ask SAX or similar about lead free bullets

Or
Call Reimar Johannsen firm about it .

( no experience with 10,3 mm my self just been through a whole lot of bullet catalog and equipment pages )

Woodleigh also have .400 bullets that weigh 400 grain

Swift Aframe is perhaps one of the strongest bullets today . When had a 404 Jeffery the Swift shot like match bullets

The Sax .413 is around 200 grains. The same as the RWS HIT.

Not really gaining anything from that.

I have tried to reach the inventor of the cartridge to speak to him about it, but he doesn't answer the phone or email. Maybe he has passed to the happy hunting lands?

Lutz M passed a couple of years , but others is around

I would called Johannsen about it seeing they have much of the equipment needed .

Hornady have a 400 grain .410 also. One of which is bonded

No idea if they are in Europe now .

I am shooting a Blaser R8 in the 10.3x68 RWS round. I actually have two barrels. I have some 246 grain 10.3mm TOGs but I have not used them on game as my hunting area is a German federal one, and requires leadfree ammunition. My regional game keeper requires that bullet to be a deformation bullet.

I am planning an African safari for 2025 and I am thinking about using up these TOGS.

It looks like bullets for the .411 KDF/.405 WCF are made by Swift in 350 grains.

How would the TOG compare to the Swift A-Frame?

What do you want to shoot with the cartridge 10,3x68 RWS in Africa ?

Lutz M passed a couple of years , but others is around

I would called Johannsen about it seeing they have much of the equipment needed .

Hornady have a 400 grain .410 also. One of which is bonded

No idea if they are in Europe now .
Lutz is not the inventor of the 10.3x68 RWS. It is Peter Vonow from Switzerland. What I think is interesting is that he doesn't even live in Graubunden where the 10mm or bigger requirement is.

Can't figure out a website for Degol.

I was going to order a box from Johannsen but I don't even know what they look like. I have 8 or 9 different bullets I bought from guys. I might have some Degols that are not marked. I have a ton of differen 10.3 bullets. There is a really pointy one with a lot of lead exposed.

Lutz is not the inventor of the 10.3x68 RWS. It is Peter Vonow from Switzerland. What I think is interesting is that he doesn't even live in Graubunden where the 10mm or bigger requirement is.

I was just thinking of the concept behind Sax bullets of which Lutz were much behind it .

Sax just stole Lutz' design.

Lutz was kind of a blow hard that lived an interesting life. I never found out if the pretty blond was his daughter or something else.

Died with his boots on flying an airplane.

He did a tremendous amount of hunting on that bullet revenue.

I don’t know the cartridge very well, but a RWS TOG bullet will flatten any plains game species at reasonable distance and impact velocity.
RWS make exceptional bullets, brass and ammo.
The .308, 184gr RWS Evolution bullets are just as good as Swift A-Frames.
I was never able to recover one.

I was going to order a box from Johannsen but I don't even know what they look like. I have 8 or 9 different bullets I bought from guys. I might have some Degols that are not marked. I have a ton of differen 10.3 bullets. There is a really pointy one with a lot of lead exposed.

Mr. Wim Degol does not have a website. If you want something special you have to call him or send him an E-Mail. He recently made me FMJ bullets for the cartridge 11,2x72 Schüler, an also not so common cartridge for big game hunting.

You may reach him at- wim.degol@telenet.be

He's a true artist in the field of bullet making. His tombac jacketed FMJ solids are extremely strong.

The Sax .413 is around 200 grains. The same as the RWS HIT.

Not really gaining anything from that.

I have tried to reach the inventor of the cartridge to speak to him about it, but he doesn't answer the phone or email. Maybe he has passed to the happy hunting lands?
Lutz has died. Plane crash.

Lutz has died. Plane crash.
Again Lutz is not the inventor of the 10.3x68 Peter Vonow is.

That is who I am trying to contact.

Yes I know Lutz died a few years ago.

What was strange as I had an email exchange with him a few weeks before.

I’m using TOG in caliber 375 win mag. I’m impressed how is working on big game.

9aebeaa5-808a-4f30-9b19-df5cec0f65d6.jpeg

Looks like a black bear in some cold country, with that thick of a layer of fat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Link45

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?