Ruger No.1

lwaters

AH legend
Joined
May 20, 2011
Messages
2,516
Reaction score
3,775
Location
Manhattan Kansas
Media
117
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
4
USA/Canada
1
Australia/NZ
1
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
What new calibers would you like to see the Ruger No. 1 chambered in? I would like to see a 348 Winchester and a 7x65 rimmed.
 
Lenny I would love to see them do one again in 243 or 25-06 with the laminated stock and satin stainless.
Love those rifles and always will.
 
Lenny I would love to see them do one again in 243 or 25-06 with the laminated stock and satin stainless.
Love those rifles and always will.
One in a lighter caliber would be fun to practice with. It would help you reload faster. I think the 348 Winchester with that big tapered case would be fun to load in the No.1. It would do what the 35 Whelan would do but you don't have as good of bullet selection.
 
8x75 RS.....

Continental wallflower, almost forgotten, but higly effectiv....

8x75S-RS-1.jpg



HWL
 
Last edited:
Wow, Charlie overnight you go from 243 to a 458 Lott. You must have had a good nights sleep.

I did as a matter of fact! I actually have a No 1 in 458 Lott and Lenny has fired it a few times.
 
I have the 450/400. which is about all I can handle but the Lott you have is very shootable. Someone should jump on it.
 
I have the 450/400. which is about all I can handle but the Lott you have is very shootable. Someone should jump on it.

Yea I should make someone a deal on it!
 
At present I only have one #1, it's a 300 H&H and I don't think I will ever part with it.
 
Didn't your Lott have a recoil reducer in the stock?
 
To each his own. I have a Win. Mod 71 built in 1936 in 348 Winchester. I also own a Brno Super in 12Ga/7x65R. I never considered the possibility of either caliber in a No. 1. But since you are "dreaming" go for it.
 
I've used my 375 H&H Number One to take three black bear in Washington State now. It's proven accurate and reliable. Thoroughly enjoy hunting with it.

One bear had been wounded by another hunter, and I went into the brush after it. Ended up shooting it at about 10 or 15 feet! That was a pretty intense experience. The rifle handled well, but I was quite aware that I was carrying a single shot rifle after a wounded animal, in tight quarters.

I've had several other Number One rifles over the years. I think if I got another one, it would be chambered in a lighter, classic cartridge, mostly for deer hunting. Perhaps the 7x57?

Regards, Guy
 
To each his own. I have a Win. Mod 71 built in 1936 in 348 Winchester. I also own a Brno Super in 12Ga/7x65R. I never considered the possibility of either caliber in a No. 1. But since you are "dreaming" go for it.
I would probably never chamber for one of these but would buy them if Ruger did. I already have a 358 in a Browning lever. I have shot a black bear and a couple deer with it.
 
I would say that a single shot really needs to be in a flanged cartridge.... so to that end I would love to see the following as common chamberings in the rifle:

.303 British
9.3x74R
.450 or .470 Nitro Express
 
I love #1's. I currently only have a #1 in .458 Lott. It's the stainless laminate version. I had originally purchased it for what was then, a dream / anticipated Cape buffalo safari. When I finally started safari shopping and talking to PH's, they basicly were saying: You're better off with a bolt action. So about that time Ruger brought out the .416 Ruger in the Alaskan model. Bought it and took it to Zimbabwe in '13. I took the buff and seven head of PG with it. I still want to use the Lott on a buff. Hope to book that one for 2020.
I also have a old #3 in .45/70. Both it and the Lott are shooters, both grouping under an inch. You always hear that #1's a finicky or inaccurate, but I've never experienced that.
I've also owned #1's in .25/06, a 7 mag I had rebarreled to .340 WBY and a .30/06 I had rebarreled to .22 CHeetah. I wish I still had all three of these as they too were crazy accurate. Unfortuately, the .25/06 and .340 WBY were stolen and the .22 went through a barrel too fast.
One of these days I hope to pick up one in .280 Rem.
 
.375 H&H Flanged.

But, even if they offered the regular belted/rimless chambering with 26" barrel and oval cheek piece stock, I'd whip out my credit card today.
First caribou I shot was with a #1, .375 and I really like #1's but, always thought all of them would show better with a longer barrel and pre-war style cheek piece.
(A very few were/are made with 26" barrel).

Also would interest me in a shotgun chambering, with rifled barrel and the above specs/measurements.
Not sure how large of bore it would accept but certainly a 20 gauge would work, perhaps large enough frame for a 16 ?

(Side Note: All rifles need iron sights, IMO. Without them, they always look like a Gunsmith project that's not finished yet).
 
Last edited:
450/400, which they've already done.

A 375 H&H Flanged would be nice, also, I agree. I had one in 375 H&H belted. It was a sweet rifle and I never should've let her go. But, I'll have another, some day.

Regarding barrel length, Ruger routinely placed 26" long barrels on the magnum rifles (7mm Rem Mag, 300 Win Mag, 338 Win mag, etc.), but 22" on most standard calibers (270 Win, 30-06, etc.), and 24" on the Tropical.

And yes, every rifle deserves a proper set of sights! As I'm getting older I'm finding it more difficult to shoot well with irons but they're still all I use. I figure that if some guy can get within 30 yards and stick an arrow in an animal, I should damn well be able to function fine with iron sights!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,304
Messages
1,572,232
Members
169,510
Latest member
SelenaWick
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top