Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI, QDMA
Hunted
MI, TX, MO, South Africa Limpopo & Northwest Provinces
I love the #1, currently their are 2 in my gun safe a 30-06 and a 416 Rigby. I really don't need another #1 but I'd love to have one in my favorite caliber the 35 Whelen, I know Ruger has already done that but I still want one..

lwaters

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
My 450/400 and a 30-06 with 24 in. barrel would make a nice set of No.1's.

lwaters

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Texas,Namibia,Kansas, Missouri, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, South Africa, New Zealand
Guns International had a ton of them. They did have a 243. Didn't see a 25-06 or a 458 Lott. Just about everything else that was mentioned.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)

diamondback mike

Reaction score
Member of
NRA Endowment Member, Safari Club International Life Member, Safari Club International San Diego Chapter
Hunted
New Zealand, Argentina, British Columbia, Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, California
Would love to see a No. 1 chambered in 300WSM. Not sure if it's ever been done, maybe would compete with 300RCM. Otherwise, am waiting for 300 Win Mag.

leslie hetrick

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
several sporting clubs
Hunted
several
I owned 13 # 1,s and have sold down to four now. a red pad 26" barreled .223, a red pad 26" barreled .300 win mag, black pad a 35 whelen with sights and a older black pad .460 S&W with sights. some shot lights out right out of the box and others took a little work. I have a friend who has a #1 in .303 british NIB that I,m trying weasel him out off.

VonJager

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Life, DSC, NRA Life, WSF Life
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa.
.375 H&H Flanged.

But, even if they offered the regular belted/rimless chambering with 26" barrel and oval cheek piece stock, I'd whip out my credit card today.
First caribou I shot was with a #1, .375 and I really like #1's but, always thought all of them would show better with a longer barrel and pre-war style cheek piece.
(A very few were/are made with 26" barrel).

Also would interest me in a shotgun chambering, with rifled barrel and the above specs/measurements.
Not sure how large of bore it would accept but certainly a 20 gauge would work, perhaps large enough frame for a 16 ?

(Side Note: All rifles need iron sights, IMO. Without them, they always look like a Gunsmith project that's not finished yet).
My 300 h&h has 26 in barrels. A game getter for sure.

Sika98k

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
Wild Deer Association of Ireland
Hunted
Kenya,Namibia, Croatia, Morocco Ireland,Scotland,Denmark, Romania, Sweden,Norway,Latvia,Germany,Hungary,
.375 H&H Flanged.

But, even if they offered the regular belted/rimless chambering with 26" barrel and oval cheek piece stock, I'd whip out my credit card today.
First caribou I shot was with a #1, .375 and I really like #1's but, always thought all of them would show better with a longer barrel and pre-war style cheek piece.
(A very few were/are made with 26" barrel).

Also would interest me in a shotgun chambering, with rifled barrel and the above specs/measurements.
Not sure how large of bore it would accept but certainly a 20 gauge would work, perhaps large enough frame for a 16 ?

(Side Note: All rifles need iron sights, IMO. Without them, they always look like a Gunsmith project that's not finished yet).
@velodog, did you ever look at a Greener GP ? That’s about as close as you can come.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas

sestoppelman

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
South Africa 3 times, Namibia 2 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
@velodog, did you ever look at a Greener GP ? That’s about as close as you can come.
Yes, and a fellow I used to know had one re-fit with a present day 12 gauge fully rifled barrel, multiple leaf express sights and all.
It was a thing of beauty and very accurate with slugs, as intended.
Seems like such a simple idea could be easily manufactured by Ruger, in regards to their #1 action.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
6.5x57R
7x65R
8x75RS
9.3x74R(been done but not available anymore I think)
450/400 3"
450 No 2 NE

lwaters

Bronze supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI
Hunted
6.5x57R
7x65R
8x75RS
9.3x74R(been done but not available anymore I think)
450/400 3"
450 No 2 NE
I like that list. Pretty much covers everything.

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Yes, and a fellow I used to know had one re-fit with a present day 12 gauge fully rifled barrel, multiple leaf express sights and all.
It was a thing of beauty and very accurate with slugs, as intended.
Seems like such a simple idea could be easily manufactured by Ruger, in regards to their #1 action.
The Greener GP in the Police Mark III version would be an ideal candidate for re-barreling to a standard 12-bore (most interestingly in the Paradox configuration, should one feel so inclined). They're common and inexpensive and already made up to accept a standard 12-bore head (the Mark III uses an odd shell with a 12-bore head but a 14-bore body, so made so as to prevent criminals from stealing and then making use of the weapon).

CTDolan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
As for the Ruger No. 1, standard 450 NE basic brass is as large as the action can accept without modification. Standard 500 NE brass can be made to fit with a little effort. Even the 577 NE can be made to work (with a lot more effort). Anything larger is pretty much impossible.

Latest profile posts

Damon Engel wrote on Saul's profile.
Hello! I noticed your E Type in your avatar. What year is it? I have a '69 that looks identical, minus the wire wheels. My car has the steel rims, as I understand it,a more expensive option, but I like the wire wheel much better!
pamtnman wrote on Timothy Doyle's profile.
Interested in the 450/400 dies. I have PayPal. Thank you
ve7poi wrote on ZANA BOTES SAFARI's profile.
See you in May 2022
twenty days with you time seems to have slowed now after booking lol
tarbe wrote on Royal27's profile.
Current ETA to Buc-ees is 11 am or we can meet you there about 2 hrs later in the way back.