Ruger African new in 375 ruger a good first Dangerous Game rifle

@Viral_SIGness so you love the Hogue stock and hate the LC-6 trigger. Different strokes for different folks. Even though I have laminated stocks on my Rugers, I also like the Hogue stock. However, a lot of people think they are butt ugly (only surpassed by the Ruger boat paddle stocks) and have to much flex in them.

As far as recoil pads are concern, yes the big spongy recoil pad on the Hogue is nice for extended range sessions. A recoil pad designed by the "My Pillow" guy would be even better. However, most hunters will tell you there is a down side to a thick, grippy recoil pad and that comes in when mounting the gun in a DG situation. A minimalist type recoil pad is actually a better choice for most hunting situation.

My experience with the LC-6 trigger has been good in my 338 and 375. It is consistent at 100F and also -10F. Just looking at the trigger, the simplicity of the build is remarkable. I've had trigger jobs done on other rifles and replaced some with Timney's. Not familiar Rifle Basix, but a $6 trigger spring change out that anyone can do themselves has given me a very nice, crisp trigger with just under 3 lbs pull.
I actually think the triggers on my two Hawkeyes are worse than what came on my M77 MkII's. Ive been working with my African as is so far, I'll do some spring swapping on it.

The recoil pad, my PH has told me about that several times. When I go to Africa, I'm taking it in the wood stock with that tiny pad.

Consider me an oddball because the Paddle stocks are my favorites lol

PB_1573443685668.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@Viral_SIGness so you love the Hogue stock and hate the LC-6 trigger. Different strokes for different folks. Even though I have laminated stocks on my Rugers, I also like the Hogue stock. However, a lot of people think they are butt ugly (only surpassed by the Ruger boat paddle stocks) and have to much flex in them.

As far as recoil pads are concern, yes the big spongy recoil pad on the Hogue is nice for extended range sessions. A recoil pad designed by the "My Pillow" guy would be even better. However, most hunters will tell you there is a down side to a thick, grippy recoil pad and that comes in when mounting the gun in a DG situation. A minimalist type recoil pad is actually a better choice for most hunting situation.

My experience with the LC-6 trigger has been good in my 338 and 375. It is consistent at 100F and also -10F. Just looking at the trigger, the simplicity of the build is remarkable. I've had trigger jobs done on other rifles and replaced some with Timney's. Not familiar Rifle Basix, but a $6 trigger spring change out that anyone can do themselves has given me a very nice, crisp trigger with just under 3 lbs pull.
As far as flex, only when using a bi-pod, or you can get the full bedded version. I bought the stock for a varmint contour. No worries about touching, but the wood African stock uses a pressure point.

I have the 23" stainless laminate the same as johnnyblues. I've taken it to Alaska a few times and love the indestructible nature of it. Plus I don't cry over the bumps and bruises it gets in the plane, boat and bush.
I strongly recommend replacing the hockey puck Ruger calls a recoil pad with something better. I put a limbsaver on mine and that made it fairly pleasant to shoot.
Put the factory muzzle brake in your tackle box where it belongs.
If you don't hand load, look at DoubleTap ammo 270 grain Barnes TSX. Pretty much the most versatile load you can get for a 375. This ammo shoots 5 shot groups under 1" in my Ruger.
IMG_3877.jpg

I have the 23" stainless laminate the same as johnnyblues. I've taken it to Alaska a few times and love the indestructible nature of it. Plus I don't cry over the bumps and bruises it gets in the plane, boat and bush.
I strongly recommend replacing the hockey puck Ruger calls a recoil pad with something better. I put a limbsaver on mine and that made it fairly pleasant to shoot.
Put the factory muzzle brake in your tackle box where it belongs.
If you don't hand load, look at DoubleTap ammo 270 grain Barnes TSX. Pretty much the most versatile load you can get for a 375. This ammo shoots 5 shot groups under 1" in my Ruger.View attachment 389062
I shot Rhett Mcnett a text and a screenshot and let him know you like their products.

I have this exact rifle, and have shot plenty of game with it. I do recommend a lower power scope for dangerous game, such as the 1x6 Leupold. I have had quick kills on many species, but did have a bit of trouble with a buffalo in 2019. Kudu, sable, wildebeest: easy. Miss the vitals of a cape buffalo by 3 inches: kind of a long day, with some exciting but unnecessary mischief thrown in.

I have this exact rifle, and have shot plenty of game with it. I do recommend a lower power scope for dangerous game, such as the 1x6 Leupold. I have had quick kills on many species, but did have a bit of trouble with a buffalo in 2019. Kudu, sable, wildebeest: easy. Miss the vitals of a cape buffalo by 3 inches: kind of a long day, with some exciting but unnecessary mischief thrown in.
Geezus do any of you people know how to reduce a photo? 8.3 mb, holy chit.

Even though I have laminated stocks on my Rugers, I also like the Hogue stock. However, a lot of people think they are butt ugly (only surpassed by the Ruger boat paddle stocks) and have to much flex in them.
the hogue over molded stocks are awesome. i had a "boat paddle" stock on a 338 win, hogue stocks are WAAAY better!

For my moderate amount of dangerous game rifle experience, (.375 Ruger, .416 Ruger, .495 A-Square) I must add my $.02 worth that the Hogue overmolded on the .375 Ruger is great to help control the rifle and it absorbs some of the recoil impulse. It approaches the A-Square Coil-Check pattern which was very effective in dissipating the recoil impulse. The pistol grip helps one pull the rifle in tight to the shoulder, and the forend shape facilitates holding the rifle down during recoil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross