Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
SA, NZ, Montana, Maryland , Georgia , Mississippi, USA
As my son and I have a trip for Buffalo planned in 2022 I am considering a new Ruger African in 375 Ruger for him .
He is left handed and the pickings are slim .
I have a Winchester model 70 in 375HH on order from shedhorn sports in Ennis Mt for myself and they told me hopefully this year on that order.
I would like to know if anybody has the current model African from Ruger and what you think.
I plan on topping them both with Leopoldo varix3i 2.5-8
Thanx

Imo it is fine but the ruger wing style safety can bit a tad tricky if you are trying to instinctuallly disengage it. Just practice flipping it a lot

@Skinnersblade has an ad on here to sell a LH Zastava in .375 H&H. The ad doesn't say that it is sold yet. You might want to check that one out if you have any interest in that.

I am left-handed and I just used that very model in on a buffalo hunt and it worked flawlessly. My scope is an older Leupold VX2 1-4. Factory ammo isn't as common as the 375 H&H but if you reload it isn't an issue. Brass is readily made by Hornady and it works well with many common powders like H414(I used) or Varget. I loaded 300 grain Peregrine VRG3 Bushmaster bullets and the buffalo went down in short order. I can PM you the loading data if you want.

Finally something I have a morsel of actual experience in - perhaps I can contribute a bit here -

I have the Ruger Alaskan from their original run (no barrel band sling swivel or muzzle brake).

I have hunted with it for two years for deer in MO. I have also trained with it to go to South Africa with Somerby Safaris. Once financial catastrophe postponed the trip, once communist Chinese flu. We are re-scheduled for this May, but that is looking iffy...

The rifle came with a 2.5-8x36 on it and that was a superb scope. I have since upgraded to the Vari-X 5HD with CDS turret cap and firedot reticle. I use the Beartooth CReek cheekriser system to get my ocular cavity up behind the scope.

I am 5'10, 225 and built like a tree trunk for perspective. The rifle, as is/stock fits me perfectly. It is a Goldilocks piece of equipment. The overmolded stock is quiet, very grippy, and absorbs some of the recoil.

The cartridge is energetic in recoil, but does not beat you to death. The eye box on the scope is large enough to keep you from scope bite if you shoot it properly by leaning into it, etc.. I posted my deer hunt experience on here from last year, I think in the ballistic database thread. I am sure it will be 50 years before the ammo is equal to the .375H&H for finding some anywhere in Africa, but at some point this is a false measuring stick - ANY other cartridge is less available than the H&H. I have been able to buy additional cases off and on even during the ammo shortage this year, so one can get the stuff. I have experience with the .495 A-Square to frame what I term as "energetic", and would call it a little more than .35WAI recoil, if that helps you any.

The Alaskan is handy - short enough to not hang up on brush all the time - and it is no boat anchor. Because I cross-fire the righty version as a southpaw, I put on an extended bolt knob to be able to grab it with greater certainty. Your lad should be fine if he gets the southpaw version, but it can be modified if he needs that.

What other issues/questions do you have that I might be able to address?

I am a fellow southpaw. My neighbor has the Ruger rifle you’re describing. It’s a fine cartridge and Ruger makes a very dependable firearm. His has a laminated wood stock, slightly heavy but the weight is welcomed in terms of felt recoil. I’m not a fan of a Hogue stock. We see a lot of the stainless Ruger 77 variants here in Alaska. I suspect the .375 Ruger would be an excellent choice for anything big.

Thanx to everyone for your thoughts. Ryan, I am not a reloaded so won’t need your reload recipe.
Randy theZastava is a Canada gun so that won’t work
As usual this forum is super helpful!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 9.47.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 9.47.58 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 160
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 9.48.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 9.48.00 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 189
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 9.48.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 9.48.02 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 160
Thanx BeeMaa was hoping for African new model so he can practice with muzzle brake . But I missed this one and you got me thinking . I have same looking gun in 17 wsm

As my son and I have a trip for Buffalo planned in 2022 I am considering a new Ruger African in 375 Ruger for him .
He is left handed and the pickings are slim .
I have a Winchester model 70 in 375HH on order from shedhorn sports in Ennis Mt for myself and they told me hopefully this year on that order.
I would like to know if anybody has the current model African from Ruger and what you think.
I plan on topping them both with Leopoldo varix3i 2.5-8
Thanx
I love the .375 Ruger. I have both the Alaskan and African. Currently working up loads for my buffalo hunt using 300 grain VRG-3's

20210123_144255_copy_1612x763.jpg

I am left-handed and I just used that very model in on a buffalo hunt and it worked flawlessly. My scope is an older Leupold VX2 1-4. Factory ammo isn't as common as the 375 H&H but if you reload it isn't an issue. Brass is readily made by Hornady and it works well with many common powders like H414(I used) or Varget. I loaded 300 grain Peregrine VRG3 Bushmaster bullets and the buffalo went down in short order. I can PM you the loading data if you want.

Ive just started loading the VRG-3's in mine. Im interested in your data.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a fellow southpaw. My neighbor has the Ruger rifle you’re describing. It’s a fine cartridge and Ruger makes a very dependable firearm. His has a laminated wood stock, slightly heavy but the weight is welcomed in terms of felt recoil. I’m not a fan of a Hogue stock. We see a lot of the stainless Ruger 77 variants here in Alaska. I suspect the .375 Ruger would be an excellent choice for anything big.
Recoil in the Hogue stock, is so much better than the wood. With that joke of a recoil pad Ruger puts on the wood, they get painful in 5 shots. The Hogue handle well, balance nice, impervious to everything, and seriously mitigate recoil. I dont see how people can NOT like them.

A left handed Ruger African with a 23 barrel and chambered in 375 Ruger is an excellent choice.

The LC-6 triggers are pretty good, but if you want to lighten it up by 0.5 to 1 lb, installing a lighter trigger spring is very inexpensive and easy to do.

The Leupold VX3 2.5-8 x 36 is one of my favorite scopes and I have it on several of my rifles. For the 375 Ruger, I believe a 1.5-5 x 20 might be a better scope for a gun that might be used for DG.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 8.20.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 8.20.00 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 131
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 8.20.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 8.20.01 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 162
Last edited:
A left handed Ruger African with a 23 barrel and chambered in 375 Ruger is an excellent choice.

The LC-6 triggers are pretty good, but if you want to lighten it up by 0.5 to 1 lb, installing a lighter trigger spring is very inexpensive and easy to do.

The Leupold VX3 2.5-8 x 36 is one of my favorite scopes and I have it on several of my rifles. For the 375 Ruger, I believe a 1.5-5 x 20 might be a better scope for a gun that might be used for DG.
The LC6 is actually terrible. I replaced mine with a Rifle Basix and haven't looked back. I went with a 1-4x24 so I'd have a true 1x for both eyes open to find my target.

Last edited:
What grain bullet? Did you typo that? Hornady shows 71gr max for 300 grain DGX.
300 grain VRG3 as mentioned previously

The Load Development article by Brian Pearce you can find online shows 76-80 grains of H-414 for the 300 grain Nolser Partition, Barnes has their 350 grain TSX using between 70-75 grains of H-414. So it depends on the bullet type. but from that data 75 grains is not unreasonable for a 300 grain monometal. It worked quite safely in mine from 20 farenheit in Alaska to nearly 90 farenheit in South Africa.

Last edited:
@Viral_SIGness so you love the Hogue stock and hate the LC-6 trigger. Different strokes for different folks. Even though I have laminated stocks on my Rugers, I also like the Hogue stock. However, a lot of people think they are butt ugly (only surpassed by the Ruger boat paddle stocks) and have to much flex in them.

As far as recoil pads are concern, yes the big spongy recoil pad on the Hogue is nice for extended range sessions. A recoil pad designed by the "My Pillow" guy would be even better. However, most hunters will tell you there is a down side to a thick, grippy recoil pad and that comes in when mounting the gun in a DG situation. A minimalist type recoil pad is actually a better choice for most hunting situation.

My experience with the LC-6 trigger has been good in my 338 and 375. It is consistent at 100F and also -10F. Just looking at the trigger, the simplicity of the build is remarkable. I've had trigger jobs done on other rifles and replaced some with Timney's. Not familiar Rifle Basix, but a $6 trigger spring change out that anyone can do themselves has given me a very nice, crisp trigger with just under 3 lbs pull.

I have the right hand version of that rifle and I think it's fantastic as is. I love the laminate stock and stainless finish. IMO the recoil is much less than either of my 375H&H rifles and the LC6 trigger is just fine. I like 365/375 caliber rifles a lot and I own several of them. IMO my M77 stainless/laminate 375 Ruger is the absolute best buy/value of the ones I own. I have much nicer rifles and much more expensive rifles in those calibers but none of them are as useful/utilitarian as my M77 stainless. If you're in the market for a left handed DG rifle you will not find a better stock rifle for the money. The only thing close is a LH CZ550 375H&H. The key word is close because IMO that particular Ruger is a better rifle out of the box than the CZ and I'm a big fan of CZ rifles. YMMV.

IMO it’s a fine shooting and handling gun. Honestly I love mine. As stated ammo can be difficult to find if your ammo gets
lost. But honestly in 35+ years of traveling to Hunt I’ve never had that problem. My only suggestion is you use a quality bullet such as Swift AFrames backed by high quality solid such as a Northfork. Here’s my Buffalo taken with mine.

0EC93F00-816F-4E88-8CF8-A06ED1946BC5.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross