Rough it while you hunt it!

Thanks everyone for your input. Keep the suggestions coming.
So far this is what I have gathered from the feedback:

- This type of hunting needs to be client specific, i.e. marketed at the right people, for those who really do want to rough it and not just looking for a cheap safari.
- Hot shower, open fire and cold beer is essential. Doesn't matter how its done as long as its there.
- Around 8 - 10 days
- Safety is paramount and access to clean drinkable water
- You shoot it, you eat it.
- I don't want this to be viewed as a "cheap safari" but instead as an experience. At the end of the day its a hunting safari and certain standards will be met such as trophy management and handling, access to game, location is important, a day or two should be set a side to allow for laundry and a real clean up before the client departs back home etc...

Here is some of my questions back to you:

Would it be realistic for a client to book say a 6 day roughing it safari and expect to harvest 8 plains game species?
Would someone interested in this be open to hiking through areas that are not for hunting but do have spectacular scenery? Or will it be pure hiking for hunting?
Pack your own gear or arrive at designated spots as per the photos Loodt posted? I ask this because for logistical purposes it would make things a lot easier.

@lofty Welcome to AH and thanks for the input. I was lucky enough to meet Mr Selby and his son Mark and sat around the fire listening to their stories. My goodness, they lived through some incredible adventures.
Jono I think you will have a small market of hunters who would be willing to do something like this in SA. I think hunters would expect this type of hunt more in more remote areas. Speaking for myself I'd rather have a little more of a luxurious hunt in SA. I've done the mountain/ tent hunts when I was younger. Don't get me wrong I'd love to hunt somewhere in a traditional tent safari one day. But for me in SA I would want a really nice lodge to come back to as the one you have.

Reactions: KVS
Would love to sleep in a tent and hear the lions roar...might have the double at ready with softs though...;)

I hear you John....and don't worry we have no intentions of skimping on luxury!! (y)

zebra lodge.jpg

It sounds like a good idea, there would be some who would like that and there will be some who may opt for that as an add-on to a standard trip, maybe 2 nights away from the main accomodations for example.

I like the idea, almost all our hunting and fishing trips as a kid with my dad and friends were the type where we'd drive to where we wanted to be and set up camp for anything from 3 days to 10 days.
Some basic and some pretty well kitted out!

I say go for it, see what the RSA regulations have to say and try put together a couple of trial trips to get the logistics and bugs worked out.
Reminds me of many a trip I spent to N. New Mexico and S. CO in my younger days.

I'm at an age now and in such a physical condition that if I can't carry it on a horse or in a truck I won't be packing it very far.

Last year I went with a buddy on an Elk Hunt North of Albuquerque and it was all I could do to make a couple of trips out packing a hundred plus pounds of elk at a time about a mile or two. Of course that short hike included about a thousand feet change in elevation each way!

One thing I heard universally from my friends in SA in talking about American Hunters in General is that most of us just aren't in shape for the kind of walking they are used to.

Good day everyone,

I have just returned from a bit of a marketing/information gathering trip to the UK and some parts of Europe. As most of you know Kingsview Safaris is a relatively new operation so we are always on the path to learn more and better improve our operation to meet the needs of our (prospective) clients.

I met a lot of like minded people that provided me with some fantastic information and food for thought. Ideas were thrown around, questions answered and yes even Cecil was discussed which became fairly irritating after a while.

One of the ideas that kept coming back was the idea of roughing it while hunting. Getting out into the bush and really experiencing the wilds of Africa while hunting. Fairly similar to those back country hunting videos on YouTube where they pack out what they shoot and camp where they can.

I have begun talks with the owners of our concessions and even the Provincial Conservation office to see if we could put together a similar experience. Camping out in the bush, cooking on open fires, bucket showers, learning bush skills, the works. I know there may be one or two threads on this forum that have mentioned or touched on this type of hunting before but I would like to focus soley on this concept with this posting. There is all sorts of logistical problems to deal with when it comes to something like this but as an Outfitter thats for me to handle.

Putting costs and pricing a side, I would appreciate feedback from those individuals that may be interested in something like this. I am not trying to reinvent the wheel here, just simply being able to offer something that many people have asked for.

All the very best
Jono
I think without a doubt there is a market for some of that. Most Americans would not like too many days without running water though!

We are pretty spoiled, even those of us like myself that grew up spending a great deal of time enjoying and working in the outdoors.

On my recent trip we didn't spend any nights under the stars but we did spend many of our days and nights in remote locations where the accomodations consisted of traditional thatched huts and old Army cots and we provided our own sleeping bags and blankets.

A couple of the places had outdoor showers that were rather brisk when the temperatures started heading down rapidly after dark.

Most of our meals we cooked on the brie with what we carried to the location and much of that consisted of game we had taken on the trip or that they had taken previously and of course lots of the meat was sausage made from the game taken.

To me the experience of those cold nights around the fire with old and new friends and acquaintances are without a doubt going to stick out in my mind for many years to come and were every bit as important to the overall experience as the game stalked and taken.

Thanks Jono, I'm a fit 70 year old and I hunt and fish in a lot of places in Australia so "rough" living has never been a problem. I'm also ex Army, and anything better than muddy bed and sleeping with leeches is downright luxurious. I have camped in the deserts here when the temperature got up to 50deg in the day. I think there are still those who would chose that experience. You are right of course, it's not about the money, in fact this way could end up more expensive considering the logistics. As far as eating what you shoot is concerned, I'm told Impala are great chewing.
I'm insanely jealous of your chance to share a fire with the Selby's.
Cheers,
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg