RIP Jimmy Buffet

I remember seeing his Albatros at Sun 'n Fun in Lakeland. IIRC, it had a bar with rum on the counter. One of my buds went west last Sunday at 74, both of them gone too young.
 
God’s own Drunk - one of my favorite Buffet tunes of all time… I think I’ll go listen to it now in remembrance, and have a couple of margaritas tonight after dinner

Little known fact about Buffet…he and his original band mate Greg Taylor met as fraternity brothers (Kappa Sigma) at Southern Miss..

This was after he attended Auburn as a freshman, pledged a different fraternity, but dropped out and transferred to Southern Miss..

Had that drop and transfer not happened, the Coral Reefer Band would likely have sounded a bit different…


He rambled up over the hillside expecting me to do one of two things - flip or fly - I didn't do either and it hung him up... he started sniffing aroudn my body trying to smell fear but he aint gonna smell no fear cause I was God;s own drunk and fearless man!

He out-Lord Buckleyed Lord Buckley on that ...love that song...
 
In the same vein as the perpetual playing of "I Saw the Rain Down in Africa" on the Namibian coast, maybe someone should set up a solar charger somewhere in Key West and play 'Margaritaville" in perpetuity.
 

This a link from NOLA.com, the quintessential New Orleans La (NOLA) news site regarding Jimmy Buffet. Look up NOLA.com for a great read on Jimmy Buffet. He loved the city, the Gulf Coast and performed to that.

My first Jimmy Buffet live concert was at New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival, when I was at LSU, circa 1987-88.

Unforgettable. Jimmy knew the crowd and played music for them.

Jazz Fest, New Orleans, the Gulf Coast, He brought happiness to a lot of people.

Vaya con Dios
 
He was on a rerun of Hawaii Five 0 last night as an old HH, or MH (not sure) (54) pilot still hanging out in Vietnam (or one of the neighboring countries) spending his time with margaritas ever since the war. McGarrett hired him to carry the Five 0 task force (and a couple of retired SEALS of course) into the jungle to rescue one of the captured task force members. Was originally on about 7 or 8 years ago.
 
I will miss him stared listening to him about 1975, saw him in concert many times. What a true entertainer never a bad show and was much loved. Rest in peace.
 
While a student, I had chance to go to a Jimmy Buffet Concert in the Montana State University Field House back in October of 1979. Being a Buffet fan from Montana, two of my favorite songs are Livingston Saturday Night and Ringling, Ringling! Once a Parrot Head, Always a Parrot Head! RIP Jimmy Buffet
 
We escaped the Oklahoma heat this week and met family in the mountains. Last night I was grilling hamburgers. As I put cheese on them I started singing “cheeseburger in paradise” very poorly. We had a discussion on Jimmy Buffet songs.

This morning was surreal as I read the news.

The musicians of our generation are leaving us. Fortunately their music lives on.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,300
Messages
1,572,088
Members
169,492
Latest member
FYTEartha
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top