Rigby Highland Stalker .275 vs 30-06

OOPS!!! No it isn't. That is a Muela that I purchased in Toledo, Spain some years ago.
I can see it’s not the JT Ranger . And it’s sounds like it Pre-dates anything Garry has been making in his time. You know,since retirement, becoming a retired full time knife maker and adding to his repertoire of skills and knowledge on every knew project that is commissioned.
It just looked nice, those things, like nice rifles they appeal to us for whatever reason.
Last week I met up with forum member @bruce moulds we compared the knives Garry has made for us . Bruce said what he likes about the knives Garry makes is that they are made to a purpose and some thought goes into the functionality of each design. He said some production models are made to look good and lure a sale and make nice displays but not all are functional.

I can see it’s not the JT Ranger . And it’s sounds like it Pre-dates anything Garry has been making in his time. You know,since retirement, becoming a retired full time knife maker and adding to his repertoire of skills and knowledge on every knew project that is commissioned.
It just looked nice, those things, like nice rifles they appeal to us for whatever reason.
Last week I met up with forum member @bruce moulds we compared the knives Garry has made for us . Bruce said what he likes about the knives Garry makes is that they are made to a purpose and some thought goes into the functionality of each design. He said some production models are made to look good and lure a sale and make nice displays but not all are functional.
Absolutely. The JT Ranger that I carry exclusively in Africa was made to a very exacting purpose. He did brilliant work with it.

May I ask the purpose? Is it the purpose that it looks like it was made for?
@Von Gruff and I collaborated on this design. He now catalogues it.

Without being too melodramatic, I wanted a knife for Africa that was the perfect personal defense weapon. The two most likely scenarios were either a leopard follow-up (I have been on two) or a human threat (experienced two of those as well). In Africa, I will neither gut game or help in caping. But the other two situations did occur and could happen again. I can not carry a handgun there. I should add that I take the use of such a blade very seriously, and as an old airborne ranger, have some meaningful training in the combat use of a knife.

The JT Ranger was the result. One of them accompanies me on all my travels - here or abroad. It is absolutely perfect for its intended purpose, and also serves admirably as an all purpose sheath knife.
JT Ranger Knives by Von Gruff

@Von Gruff and I collaborated on this design. He now catalogues it.

Without being too melodramatic, I wanted a knife for Africa that was the perfect personal defense weapon. The two most likely scenarios were either a leopard follow-up (I have been on two) or a human threat (experienced two of those as well). In Africa, I will neither gut game or help in caping. But the other two situations did occur and could happen again. I can not carry a handgun there. I should add that I take the use of such a blade very seriously, and as an old airborne ranger, have some meaningful training in the combat use of a knife.

The JT Ranger was the result. One of them accompanies me on all my travels - here or abroad. It is absolutely perfect for its intended purpose, and also serves admirably as an all purpose sheath knife.
JT Ranger Knives by Von Gruff
That’s about what I thought. I always wondered if the Ranger he mentioned in his catalog was an AH member. Now I know.

I was struggling with the same choice , and went with the classic 275 Rigby. Not disappointed with the quality of the stalker or the calibre. have put it to good use on game.
added a 9.3x62 to round of a nice pair.
Moved a Rigby lee speed on to make room for the stalkers.
275 on the left

Attachments

• SSrCV4.jpg
    SSrCV4.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 240
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice rifles!

I genuinely admire both the calibres , due to my fond memories featuring both of them . My first American whitetail deer was taken with a 7x57 mm Mauser ( a BRNO ZKK 600 ) and my first Himalayan ibex was taken with a .30-06 Springfield ( a sporterized Springfield Model 1903 ) .

From a tradition standpoint , the answer is obvious - 7x57 mm Mauser . However from a versatility standpoint , I would opt for the .30-06 Springfield . It can use 150 grain , 180 grain , 200 grain and even 220 grain bullets with ease .

In the end , one cannot really go wrong with either . However , I would personally opt for the .30-06 Springfield .

I was struggling with the same choice , and went with the classic 275 Rigby. Not disappointed with the quality of the stalker or the calibre. have put it to good use on game.
275 on the left
Those are very beautiful rifles.

Classic 7x57 by Paul Mauser. Factory ammo is widely available anywhere. 275 what?

275 on the left
Lord have mercy those rifles are beautiful!

Would getting a 275RIGBY handcuff you when it comes to ammo?

I understand that the 7x57 is the same and available most anywhere.
What I mean is when traveling to a foreign country...ammo matching the firearm.
Some countries check headstamps of each and every cartridge.

I just checked Midway, only one 275RIGBY load and 10 available in 7x57.

275 on the left
What are the barrel lengths on those rifles?

.275 brass is pretty easy to get for reloaders. I suspect that loaded ammo could be an issue but I’ve never looked for it personally.

I believe the Highland Stalker is stamped ".275 Rigby/7x57 Mauser"
I can check tonight.

I was looking at some HS on Gunbroker and the particular 30/06 I was loking at says 28" barrel. As this is a brand new rifle, I wonder if that's a misprint? All others I've seen said 22".

I was looking at some HS on Gunbroker and the particular 30/06 I was loking at says 28" barrel. As this is a brand new rifle, I wonder if that's a misprint? All others I've seen said 22".

Gotta be a misprint. I’m fairly certain that they are 22” and as far as I know custom barrel lengths are not an option unless you go to a London Best and then it’s no longer a HS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.