Rifle Options - 375H&H / 416 Rigby

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Alistair, Aug 19, 2019.

1. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

Your allowed in the UK to own the semi-auto rifle in your photo? If so, now I’m really confused with the gun laws there?

2. K-man

K-man AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Spain, Alaska, RSA, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, British Columbia, Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming

That sounds like a practical, well rounded practice and education! It also sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks for sharing

CoElkHunter likes this.

3. Paul Miller

Paul Miller New Member

Member of:
    Houston safari club
    Hunted:
    Mozambique
    I personally like the 416 Rigby. Romance and performance. A good used Ruger Safari Magnum was my choice and I’ve not regretted either.

CoElkHunter and Ironhorse375 like this.

4. Adrian

Adrian AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    England year round and Namibia x5.
    It's a .22lr, we can own semi auto rimfires such as the AR type in the photo but if I wanted an AR style centrefire it has to be single shot bolt action or straight pull.

It's my fun gun. I was zeroing the .375 and in between shot groups while I was waiting for the barrel to cool I did a bit of plinking with the .22.

I agree the laws are a bit daft sometimes.
    I have 30 and 20 round magazines for my 22 and can shoot off fifty rounds as fast as I can pull the trigger yet I can't own a shotgun that hold more than three rounds.

In most cases when you get your firearms licence you have a closed certificate and mentoring condition applied to it.
    This means you can only use your firearm on the land stated on your licence and under supervision of a mentor who you name upon application. This usually lasts indefinitely unless you apply for an open certificate, in most cases when you renew your licence.

When you have an open licence you can use your firearm unsupervised and on any land that has been approved and when you have the land owners permission.

CoElkHunter likes this.

5. njc110381

njc110381 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    No need for land approval with an open FAC. Depending on wording of course. Mine states "may be used over land which the certificate holder has lawful authority to shoot". In the early days it stated "may be used over land which is cleared by the chief of police and the certificate holder has lawful authority to shoot". That condition was a right pain and it took me around a year to get it sorted!

Which version does yours have? Or perhaps another wording all together? It's not unusual for wording and opinions of their meaning to vary between forces.

CoElkHunter likes this.

6. Adrian

Adrian AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Yes, mine says the same as yours, I couldn't remember the exact wording.

CoElkHunter likes this.

7. njc110381

njc110381 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Ace. In that case, no need for land checks. You can shoot anywhere you have permission. The whole point of that wording is so they don't have to chase around checking loads of land for experienced shooters who are perfectly capable of making a safe judgement themselves. If I had to do that I'd be dragging them out every other week!

CoElkHunter and Adrian like this.

8. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

Thanks so much for your response and explaining this. That .22 semi-auto looks fun to shoot! I’m thinking again (dangerous), but it seems to me if you have a five year renewable license with all the background and medical checks that goes with it, one would at LEAST be able to purchase/own ANY bolt action hunting rifle, regardless of caliber? I guess I’m just thinking of a “utopian” hunting world, where hunters can use the weapon of THEIR choice to pursue the game they want to hunt? I guess I’m just too old an maybe naive? Thanks!

Adrian likes this.

9. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

Yes, but what if you want to purchase/own a hunting rifle for hunting in another European country or North America or Africa, etc ? We ALL dream of hunting somewhere else, but just haven’t got there yet? Surely (maybe not) the authorities understand the rifle you purchase must be practiced with long before you actually plan/book a hunt somewhere? It could be several years running!

10. njc110381

njc110381 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    That's possible. Our laws do allow for us to have firearms outside of the spec of what we should have for quarry here. We need to show that we intend to actually go - an invoice for a booked hunt or in my case an invitation to hunt from a citizen of a suitable country. They are also fairly relaxed in the understanding that these things may not get used regularly.

CoElkHunter likes this.

11. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

Thanks for your reply. What about visiting hunters in the UK? Would they be able to use another’s rifle, or would they have to bring their own crossbow? Ha! Ha! Ha!

12. Adrian

Adrian AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Hunting with any type of bow is illegal in the UK.
    I have no idea how easy it is to bring a firearm to the UK for hunting but you can obviously be loaned one by the person you're hunting with while hunting.

CoElkHunter likes this.

13. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

No bows? Interesting? I would have thought they would be considered less of a “threat” by the authorities to the masses than a firearm? I’m thinking again! I need to quit that! Ha! Ha!

14. Adrian

Adrian AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    You're allowed to own a crossbow, longbow, recurve, compound etc....

You just can't hunt with them.

CoElkHunter likes this.

15. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

Why bother having/owning one then? I guess it’s back to a .458 Lott vs. a .416 Rigby? Ha! Ha! Ha!

Adrian likes this.

16. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

With “good reason” of course?

17. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

the ruling classes still have memories of robin hood:cautious:
    he poached deer from the king's forest.
    up until king henrey 8th it was mandatory to practise the longbow after church every sunday (which was also mandatory).
    remember the power of the longbow at crecy and Agincourt.
    bruce.

CoElkHunter and Adrian like this.

18. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

Bruce, I see Dr Ray with a CZ .505 Gibbs on a recent thread. Looks like a LOT of rifle, but very nice! Anyway, in Australia, are you required to show “good reason” to buy/own a larger caliber, bolt action hunting rifle like they are required to do in the UK? I find the various gun laws (especially related to hunting) in other countries very interesting and sometimes mind boggling! Thanks!
    CoElkHunter

19. njc110381

njc110381 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I too find firearms law interesting. Most countries have quirky rules of one sort or another. The UK has a big issue with semi auto firearms and handguns but moderators are pretty much a given for a hunting rifle. You simply have to ask and it will be granted. The US on the other hand is fine with assault rifles and handguns, but say the word suppressor and it's like the holy grail! Baffling really as it has such a blame culture and folk are getting sued left, right and centre. Surely the government is responsible for hearing loss due to a lack of protection in a hunting environment? Then there's the whole open carry vs concealed - some places want it plain to see and others expect it covered (the UK likes firearms hidden to the best of our ability).

It's an interesting subject. Every government seems to have a different idea of what's dangerous and what isn't!

CoElkHunter likes this.

20. CoElkHunter

CoElkHunter AH Fanatic

Yes, I wish I had access to suppressed firearms in the US when I started shooting/hunting in the early ‘70s. Not many people wore hearing protection back then even on the rifle/pistol range or trapshooting. I, like so many others, are now paying the price with varying degrees of hearing loss. I wear the “ear valve” style even while hunting now, and it doesn’t affect my ability to hear low pitched sounds whatsoever.