Rifle for Plains game

IMG_3893.JPG
IMG_3910.JPG
I wanted to say thanks for all the responses to my question. After many hours of research she decided on a Savage 110 in 308win. I’ve put a quality muzzle break on it and today will be her first day shooting it. For practice she’ll be shooting 150gr. When we make our trip over I think she be shooting 168-175gr bullets. Have to find one the gun likes to shoot. I ordered a nice pair of shooting sticks yesterday and will be practicing a ton off those. We’ve got lots of time before the hunt so practice, practice and more practice. The best part is I never have to ask her more than once to go shooting. She loves it.

View attachment 349736View attachment 349737I wanted to say thanks for all the responses to my question. After many hours of research she decided on a Savage 110 in 308win. I’ve put a quality muzzle break on it and today will be her first day shooting it. For practice she’ll be shooting 150gr. When we make our trip over I think she be shooting 168-175gr bullets. Have to find one the gun likes to shoot. I ordered a nice pair of shooting sticks yesterday and will be practicing a ton off those. We’ve got lots of time before the hunt so practice, practice and more practice. The best part is I never have to ask her more than once to go shooting. She loves it.
Mark D
My son used a Howa 308 loaded it with 150gn accubonds and cfe223. Everything he pointed it at went down including Burchells zebra and Oryx.
Unless you're going after bigger I would stick with the accubonds.
Bob.

Congrats on the Savage I'm sure your wife will love it but what is that other jacked up looking thing in the gun case?

Congrats on the Savage I'm sure your wife will love it but what is that other jacked up looking thing in the gun case?

That’s my long range gun. 6.5 cm. I’ve still gotta buy a new rifle for the trip. Still deciding what I’m gonna buy.

Art
Have you tried the 35 with DRS ammo yet.
Bob

Not yet DRS has been slow, with all this time at home and nothing to do you would have thought this would be prime time for operations to switch into high gear.

Not yet DRS has been slow, with all this time at home and nothing to do you would have thought this would be prime time for operations to switch into high gear.
Art
The CEO may be having trouble with the minister for spare time and social occasions. I would call the operation manager to find out what is going on.
Bob

May I ask why you’d say that? For shooting paper and steel out past 1k yds it’s a damn fine cartridge. Shot one have you?

Their is nothing wrong with the 6.5 CM its a fine round for its intended purpose, I'm just amazed at how popular the round has become especially as a hunting round. For those people like yourself who enjoy punching paper and banging steel at long range its a fantastic round but for those of use who shoot at 300 yards or less and own a 270, 243, 308, 7mm-08 or a 6.5 x 55 Sweede the 6.5 CM is IMO unnecessary. That being said its a fantastic round for whitetail deer.

View attachment 349736View attachment 349737I wanted to say thanks for all the responses to my question. After many hours of research she decided on a Savage 110 in 308win. I’ve put a quality muzzle break on it and today will be her first day shooting it. For practice she’ll be shooting 150gr. When we make our trip over I think she be shooting 168-175gr bullets. Have to find one the gun likes to shoot. I ordered a nice pair of shooting sticks yesterday and will be practicing a ton off those. We’ve got lots of time before the hunt so practice, practice and more practice. The best part is I never have to ask her more than once to go shooting. She loves it.
Nothing a PH likes more than a client that has his/her eye “shot in” by spending the time on the range getting to know the rifle and load combo before they arrive for the hunt. Not like the days of Ruark where the first 2 months of a three month Safari was so that you could learn how to shoot the gun you brought!
The 308 will do the trick although I do recommend 168gn for the heavier antelope.

The 110 is proof sub-MOA performance can be mass produced. My 7mm-08 does just as well as hers. Boyd's makes a fine stock for it if she feels like something aside from synthetic.

IMG_20200526_180534.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wife out shooting her new rifle. She made several shots today at 600yds. She moved up to 200-400 and started practicing shooting off sticks. Making several hits off the sticks. Darn good job for her first time with them.

IMG_3944.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it interesting that animals shot by women and youths with mild cartridges like the 308 seem to die without fuss, and yet men seem to need much more powerful cartridges to get similar results.:):):)

I find it interesting that animals shot by women and youths with mild cartridges like the 308 seem to die without fuss, and yet men seem to need much more powerful cartridges to get similar results.:):):)

We just think we do. The ladies don't have the built in doubts, prejudices, ego trips, and competitiveness. They just take what they have and get the job done. We guys should take a lesson.

Bought my wife a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 308 win (lefty model). Took her to the range, sighted it in for her, and she proceeded to make 3/4” groupings with it pretty regularly throughout the day at 100, 1.5” groups at 200. Now I’m shooting a 300 win mag (bigger is better right?) and couldn’t seem to beat her....she looks at me sweetly when I‘m grumbling and says, “It’s not the size honey, it’s how you use it.”

There are lot of options..If you handload Id opt for the 7x57 and Ive killed most PG along with deer, antelope and elk in the US with it..If your not a handloader the 7-08 is your next best option...I don't know your wifes recoil sensitivity so that's your most important job, and let her tell you what she likes best, if its te 243 then so be it, but it would be my last choice, but for no particular reason that it is a little light for the larger species of PG.

So we’ve been out shooting and getting her comfortable with her new gun. Only issue she was having was getting used to using a mil scope. It just didn’t make much sense to her. I started explaining the diff between MOA and Mils and she said MOA made way more sense to her. I started looking around and I found a killer deal on a couple Leupold VX6-HD’s so I picked them up. I figured if she was gonna be shooting MOA on her hunting gun it would be easier for us to both shoot the same thing. Man I can’t say enough about the quality of the glass on these scopes. WOW!!!! Def not sorry about spending the money on high end glass.
IMG_3983.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg