Rifle for Plains game

MarkD

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa,Alaska,Oregon,Washington and Florida
Need opinions for a rifle caliber for my wife with plains game. We booked a trip for plains game next year. This will be my second trip but my wife’s first. She’s never hunted before and I’d like to get her a rifle to use. I bought her a savage 243 which she’ll use for deer here in Oregon this year. I know that’s not enough gun for Africa. I have a 6.5cm longer range gun but we’ve got a few larger game on our list. Sable, zebra and waterbuck among a few others. We shoot competitive shotgun sports so I don’t she super recoil sensitive, but I want a rifle she can shoot comfortably. I’ve been thinking about 7mm-08. Heard good things but never shot one. Others include 6.5 per, or 26 Nosler or 28 Nosler. Give me some feedbacks guys.

Have you thought about using PH s gun( rent) ? They probably have several appropriate calibers , most with suppressors on them. No recoil , no paperwork , no hassle. Not a bad way to go for plains game. For Dangerous game I prefer to take my own. Just a thought. 7mm-08 is a great round with good performance and mild recoil.

Great question! We have 7 thousand members, you will get at least three thousand different answers, most pretty good.
I have hunted with a P.H. who takes youth hunters out with .243, so don't underestimate the caliber. Most P.H.'s want you to be accurate with your rifle and use a well constructed bullet. I would simply ask what other hunting might be in your future, such as sheep or mountain hunts, then my answer would be anything that starts with .30 caliber, most specifically the .300 win mag or a .30-06. If bigger game may be on other trips you should consider the .375, it will certainly do plains game well and will handle larger game later on. Good luck with your choice and hunt!

Great question! We have 7 thousand members, you will get at least three thousand different answers, most pretty good.
I have hunted with a P.H. who takes youth hunters out with .243, so don't underestimate the caliber. Most P.H.'s want you to be accurate with your rifle and use a well constructed bullet. I would simply ask what other hunting might be in your future, such as sheep or mountain hunts, then my answer would be anything that starts with .30 caliber, most specifically the .300 win mag or a .30-06. If bigger game may be on other trips you should consider the .375, it will certainly do plains game well and will handle larger game later on. Good luck with your choice and hunt!

Although I have no issue with magnum calibers, my wife who is 5’2” is not gonna be excited to pull the trigger on those.

Have you thought about using PH s gun( rent) ? They probably have several appropriate calibers , most with suppressors on them. No recoil , no paperwork , no hassle. Not a bad way to go for plains game. For Dangerous game I prefer to take my own. Just a thought. 7mm-08 is a great round with good performance and mild recoil.

Yes on my first trip I rented a gun. I’m thought this trip,is why pass up the opportunity to buy another gun. We never have enough.

Ask any outtfitter and PH out there and accuracy is what they want first. Anything between a 270 Winchester and 338 will work just fine for what you mentioned with the 30 calibers being the most common rounds hands down . Very good bet your outfitter owns a 308 Win or 30-06 for personal use or rental, maybe a 300 win mag. My first two hunts were with a 30-06 and nothing went more than a couple steps. But a 7mm-08 with good shots using a good bullet is great too. I own one and it drops caribou on the spot. Ballistically it's very similar to the 7x57 which has taken a lot of game in Africa over the years.

Good luck.

I would highly recommend a 7 millimeter Remington Magnum .
DA426096-3798-4C64-9ED6-AE7DB95E487D.png

My wife frequently shoots mine and uses it to hunt Chital Deer and Bengal Bush Boars . She does not find the recoil to be noticeably uncomfortable .

Just something to consider if you shoot factory ammo. The Nosler calibers are much more limited in ammo choices than a 7mm-08. If Nosler bullets are your favorite great, but if you want to try different bullets and have options for better prices you should go with 7mm-08 or any other more standard round. Just have a quick look at midway’s ammo choices.

If she could handle the recoil, a .30/06 with 150 -180gr projectiles should be fine for PG, but in saying that I think the largest calibre she feels most comfortable and competent in using is the one for her.

I'd also contact the PH and ask:
- what the terrain would be for the time of year she'll be hunting,
- the species she wishes to hunt, and
- an average of ranges she'll be shooting at.

This will give you a clue to what calibres will suit her and the situation best. Remember too, that African PG are very tenacious and can carry a bullet when hit - so accurate placement is also very important point to consider in her selection.

Best of luck!! (y)

IMO, a 7mm-08 Remington would be a nice choice. Little more recoil than a .243 but carries more
punch. Ammo choices like 140 gr accubond work well. Should be adequate for most plains game.
Other bullets include Hornady 139 GMX.
In my old age, I have become a recoil wimp and dropped down from .30-06 to 7-08, now even a 6.5
Creedmoor which is a fine caliber with wide choice of bullets.
Good luck.
Doc Lightning.

For your wife ( based on the information , which I have received ) .... I would highly endorse any of the following calibres :
> .270 Winchester
> 7×57 mm Mauser
> 7 mm Remington magnum

I have 1 question , however . Do you and your wife have 1 of those huge African bull elands , on the menu ? If so , then a step up in calibre is definitely going to be beneficial . Other wise ... any of the above 3 shall prove to be quite adequate for most African plains game .

Lots of good advice and cartridges so far but if my wife was ok with the recoil of a shotgun I would buy here a fitted 30-06 and use a premium 180 grain bullet and she will have a great safari.

Need opinions for a rifle caliber for my wife with plains game. We booked a trip for plains game next year. This will be my second trip but my wife’s first. She’s never hunted before and I’d like to get her a rifle to use. I bought her a savage 243 which she’ll use for deer here in Oregon this year. I know that’s not enough gun for Africa. I have a 6.5cm longer range gun but we’ve got a few larger game on our list. Sable, zebra and waterbuck among a few others. We shoot competitive shotgun sports so I don’t she super recoil sensitive, but I want a rifle she can shoot comfortably. I’ve been thinking about 7mm-08. Heard good things but never shot one. Others include 6.5 per, or 26 Nosler or 28 Nosler. Give me some feedbacks guys.
Markdowns
My 15 year old son used a Howa 308 loaded it with 150gn accubonds for every thing including Burchells zebra and Oryx without an issue. Make sure she gets plenty of practice shooting off sticks.
20200223_195821.jpg

I used the 35 Whelen and had no issues.
For a good light carry I would go the 308, enough accuracy and power but listen to your PH on shot placement.

IMO, a 7mm-08 Remington would be a nice choice. Little more recoil than a .243 but carries more
punch. Ammo choices like 140 gr accubond work well. Should be adequate for most plains game.
Other bullets include Hornady 139 GMX.
In my old age, I have become a recoil wimp and dropped down from .30-06 to 7-08, now even a 6.5
Creedmoor which is a fine caliber with wide choice of bullets.
Good luck.
Doc Lightning.

IMG_3745.JPG
I also shoot a 6.5 cm. Great gun and shoot it out to 1000yds without an issue.

For your wife ( based on the information , which I have received ) .... I would highly endorse any of the following calibres :
> .270 Winchester
> 7×57 mm Mauser
> 7 mm Remington magnum

I have 1 question , however . Do you and your wife have 1 of those huge African bull elands , on the menu ? If so , then a step up in calibre is definitely going to be beneficial . Other wise ... any of the above 3 shall prove to be quite adequate for most African plains game .

No Eland on this trip. Sable, zebra
And waterbuck and also gemsbok for this trip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg